need lots of advice - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
just to give you guys an update, i got 15% visibility tint the other day, i personally think it looks absolutely amazing. what i've come up with so far is(in no really particular order):

1. still gonna paint the rims, but they're gonna be black. i've gotten lots of advice on how to do it so i feel confident. that might be a spring break project, cause my weekends are always full.
2. headlights and taillights: my friend put "lens tint" overlays on his mazda lights, and had to take them off when he got pulled over (cop could have given him a $118 citation for each tinted light - that's 4 lights, you do the math) and i am not gonna risk that. i don't wanna go the spray tint route either, because then i'll have no untinted lights in case i have to take them off. after looking on ebay (a lot) i've found a lot of good deals on smoked lights. so i'm gonna build up some money, then do a little father-son car bonding to install them. that way it's legal, and a fun way to tint my lights.
3. next comes exhaust. i'm split between a pypes violator and a flowmaster 44 series muffler. i really like the deep sound that pypes has, but i'm not too sure i want it to sound like a machine gun when i'm driving. flowmasters have a nice even sound to them, but i wouldn't mind the sound being a little more aggressive. to accentuate the muffler i'll get a turndown tailpipe. i've seen a lot on ebay, but none are brand names i've heard of before. anyone know if that really matters?
4. springs. i feel like dropping it will be the bow that ties all my stuff together, but i don't know enough about how far i want it to go, CC plates, etc. so that'll be down the road.
5. inserts/decals/other. black vinyl decals, 20 bucks. black hood decal, 30 bucks. black billet grille, 20 bucks. black metal hood scoop insert, 9 bucks. shorty antenna, 5-10 bucks. rocker panel stripes, 30 bucks. only thing missing are black metal side scoop billet inserts. anybody know where to find them?
the only thing that might wait is the bumper inserts, cause the plastic on the bumper is scratched and peeling, so i'll want to get that fixed first (100 bucks at the mechanic, semi reasonable).
thanks again guys.

in other news, anybody seen the new saleen? SWEET JESUS.
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
That is a great list. Post pics as you are doing the work. A play by play would be great too.

Built 2 Last TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
That is a great list. Post pics as you are doing the work. A play by play would be great too.

Built 2 Last TTT
i'm looking for a cool place to take pictures of the tint, it's just 15% but it still looks awesome. i'll definitely update you with every other thing i do. but do you have anything else that you think would be cool to add to the list?
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: need lots of advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin99coupe View Post
just to give you guys an update, i got 15% visibility tint the other day, i personally think it looks absolutely amazing. what i've come up with so far is(in no really particular order):

1. still gonna paint the rims, but they're gonna be black. i've gotten lots of advice on how to do it so i feel confident. that might be a spring break project, cause my weekends are always full.
2. headlights and taillights: my friend put "lens tint" overlays on his mazda lights, and had to take them off when he got pulled over (cop could have given him a $118 citation for each tinted light - that's 4 lights, you do the math) and i am not gonna risk that. i don't wanna go the spray tint route either, because then i'll have no untinted lights in case i have to take them off. after looking on ebay (a lot) i've found a lot of good deals on smoked lights. so i'm gonna build up some money, then do a little father-son car bonding to install them. that way it's legal, and a fun way to tint my lights.
3. next comes exhaust. i'm split between a pypes violator and a flowmaster 44 series muffler. i really like the deep sound that pypes has, but i'm not too sure i want it to sound like a machine gun when i'm driving. flowmasters have a nice even sound to them, but i wouldn't mind the sound being a little more aggressive. to accentuate the muffler i'll get a turndown tailpipe. i've seen a lot on ebay, but none are brand names i've heard of before. anyone know if that really matters?
4. springs. i feel like dropping it will be the bow that ties all my stuff together, but i don't know enough about how far i want it to go, CC plates, etc. so that'll be down the road.
5. inserts/decals/other. black vinyl decals, 20 bucks. black hood decal, 30 bucks. black billet grille, 20 bucks. black metal hood scoop insert, 9 bucks. shorty antenna, 5-10 bucks. rocker panel stripes, 30 bucks. only thing missing are black metal side scoop billet inserts. anybody know where to find them?
the only thing that might wait is the bumper inserts, cause the plastic on the bumper is scratched and peeling, so i'll want to get that fixed first (100 bucks at the mechanic, semi reasonable).
thanks again guys.

in other news, anybody seen the new saleen? SWEET JESUS.
Sounds like a real good list...I can picture the car now with those additions, it would look hot

1) Keep in mind regardless of how your lights are "tinted", law enforcement may frown upon it (depends on how they are in your area). Whether you have vinyl peel on/offs, actual tinted lights like the ones on American Muscle, or spray on, they still might try and ticket you for it because they are a shade other than the normal red.

At least with a new set of smoked lights you can still keep your stock ones and put them on if you are dd, then put the tinted lights on for show.

2) As far as the black inserts for the side scoops, I haven't seen any either just chrome ones, you might just want to pop the stock inserts out and spray them black...they'll look much better if they are currently faded.

3) The drop is up to you. Generally 1.5" is a good drop...it'll give you a noticeable drop but not be slammed. I'd still get CC plates to reset your settings back to stock. I'd definitely put springs/CC plates on the top of your list...I am just doing it now (owned the car since 05) and I wish I did it much sooner...it really changes the look of the car. Every other exterior addition compliments the drop.

Good luck and keep us updated.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

the only law i read on the florida senate website is that tail lights have to be visible from 1000 feet (which sounds ridiculous) and headlights 50. i think i'll be good.

that's probably what i'd do if i couldn't find billet side scoop inserts. i'm a little worried as to how to pop out the scoops, but after that i think i'll be fine.

there are a good bit of bumps where i drive daily, so i don't want to lower it enough to where i have to angle myself going into my own driveway, but i'll consider the springs part. did you install them yourself or did you pay to have them put in?

i'm hoping it'll turn out looking awesome, i'm still imagining it in my head, but from what i see it looks boss. i'll keep you guys posted on what i do, and thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Installing springs is easy. An impact gun will help. Just take your time and be careful

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
Installing springs is easy. An impact gun will help. Just take your time and be careful

i helped my dad replace the sway bar links on his 99 F150, and that didn't seem too hard, plus we got to inspect the springs and everything. but i'm contemplating having a shop do it for me, cause it looks kinda iffy for a (VERY) rookie "mechanic". to be honest i hadn't heard of CC plates until i read a post about springs a few months ago.
but about how much would a shop charge?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

and, what's an impact gun?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #44
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin99coupe
Honestly, either pay someone to do it or get a friend who has done it before help you.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed, if you don't know what an impact gun is, make sure you have someone help you do them or take it to a shop

Old 03-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #46
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
Agreed, if you don't know what an impact gun is, make sure you have someone help you do them or take it to a shop

I wasn't gonna say that but +1.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #47
Road Trip!

Quote:
Either air or electric. You put sockets on the end. Removes bolts real fast

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like a drill that you put impact sockets on, a must have for stubborn bolts

Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #49
Road Trip!

This. Air or electric.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I've got a craftsman electric. Can take it anywhere, especially useful at the junkyard! But back on topic it is very easy to do springs, it would be better for you to get some help and do it yourself than to pay someone to do it.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

alrighty then. i think i'm gonna just get a shop to do it, cause i don't have many people around that really do anything to their cars themselves. it shouldn't be too expensive.

but for the cc plates, do they have to be any specific type or can they just be plates that fit a 99 stang? and if so, anybody have any that they'd be willing to sell for cheap? ebay has them for 200 dollars and that's waaayy too much.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #52
Road Trip!

A lot of people will tell you that you need them. Drop it and get it aligned. The alignment shop will tell you if you have enough adjustment. Mine is dropped and my alignment is right on and no need for cc plates. Unless you like to look at them when you pop your hood.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
A lot of people will tell you that you need them. Drop it and get it aligned. The alignment shop will tell you if you have enough adjustment. Mine is dropped and my alignment is right on and no need for cc plates. Unless you like to look at them when you pop your hood.
thanks for the advice man. what do cc plates do exactly?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #54
Road Trip!

Quote:

thanks for the advice man. what do cc plates do exactly?
Caster/camber plates...compensate for the geometry change when you lower it

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

sorry about pictures, i've been really busy and haven't had much time to play around with my camera. but i did, for kicks and giggles, cut my stock antenna down to 14", sand it and spray paint the tip where the coating had come off. when i get the chance, sometime this week, i'm gonna put up some pictures. but anyway, spring break is here, which means it's time to start my new project, painting my rims. i'm planning on doing it wednesday/thursday, depending on time and materials needed. here's what i have so far:

•rustoleum clear primer (works on metal, but not specifically metal primer)
•sandpaper (not sure about grit yet, but i probably have some 800 and 1200 lying around somewhere)
•protective coverings (newspaper, painter's tape, and notecards are a quick walmart run so i'm basically counting them)

what i still need:

•black spraypaint for the actual finish
•clearcoat spraypaint
•jackstands, but i could probably do without them if need be so i'm not too worried

at the local home depot, they have a lot of rustoleum products, i'm looking for a gloss black finish, but what i get confused about is the different kinds of coating - i can't name them off the top of my head, but what would everybody recommend in the rustoleum line of products? i couldn't find any metal paint, will that be a problem?and then they also have the rustoleum clearcoat, plain and simple, works on metal.
at the local michael's, they have a small selection of krylon paint. they do not have any spraypaint that is specifically for metal (i was looking for the krylon rust-tough gloss black) but i talked to a worker and he said the basic krylon spraypaint should work for rims. they also had the krylon clearcoat.
so my question is, rustoleum or krylon? rustoleum has a better selection, but i hear that krylon is better adhesively than rustoleum. any thoughts, comments, and pictures would be really helpful. and one more thing, what is the best product for making a mustang shine and glisten? as soon as pollen season is over i'm gonna start doing some major cleaning, inner, outer, engine, undercarriage. what do you guys use to keep your car noticeable on the road?

thanks everybody, and happy spring break. i'll post pictures up soon!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang