need lots of advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Exclamation need lots of advice

i'm a high school student with a red 99, and there are a lot of things i want to do to make it look mean, but without spending a large amount of money. i want most of the mods to my car chrome, i personally don't like black on red unless it's tint. here's what i would like to do and ideas i have:

1. paint my rims - i have the stock 99 rims, thinking about painting them chrome, only problem is, i don't know how (i.e. what kind of paint to use, if they need to be buffed afterwards, etc.)
2. paint the hood scoop and side scoops - they're only plastic so i figure that wouldn't be too hard. again, don't know what kind of paint would be ideal.
3. bumper inserts - i'm willing to spend money on those, but i don't want to spend 20 dollars on vinyls if it's not worth it. would you recommend the metals (around $50) or the vinyl ($20)?
4. exhaust - someone i know who claims to be good with cars says taking out the catalytic converter would make it louder, but i haven't heard that anywhere else. basically, what could i do to my exaust without buying a 400 dollar kit? (i'd also be willing to spring for tail pipes and mufflers)
5. tail light trim - does it really make a car stand out more? i'm really on the fence.

finally, any tips, recommendations, advice you could give to help me out a little bit? anything will be greatly appreciated. thanks, and happy driving
cruisin99coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: need lots of advice

You cant paint chrome, you will have to have the rims dipped to make them chrome, and its not cheap. I would just buy some different rims. Mustang rims on americanmuscle.com for example are not super expensive overall.

You shouldnt paint your own body parts unless you are skilled in painting, let a paint shop do it and it will turn out much better. I hope you are not painting them chrome?

I like polished bumper inserts, thats what I have and they are good. I have SS inserts which are a bit more but much better quality (80 bucks or so~)

Exhaust is subjective, everyone likes something different. I can tell you the v6 wont ever sound amazing. I would just do a GT catback and have it fabricated so it works.

Tail light trim looks ghetto, never seen any I like. Tail light tint on the other hand is not bad.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i made a mistake when i said chrome, i meant silver. if you've heard of dupli-color, they have wheel paint, and one of the colors is silver, so i was thinking i could do that. and the same for the plastic scoop parts, i would just use some high gloss silver paint. but i saw that they have actual inserts for the scoops that would work. i just want to spend as little money as possible, so i was probably gonna get the vinyls unless they're complete trash. and right now i'm trying to save up for tint, so anything that costs money would be farther down the road, like any exhaust stuff.
i was thinking about getting tinted lights, but whenever there's money involved i'm really hesitant cause i don't have a job or anything, but i'll still consider it. is there anything else that i could do to boost up the looks?
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

tail light tint is very cheap, like 20 bucks or so, and you can pull it off if you dont like it.

Many spray paint their rims, I wouldnt if they are in good shape. If they are kinda scratched up it wont hurt. Which rims do you have?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

oh i thought you were talking about getting smoked lights.
and as for the rims, they're the OEM rims for 1999 V6. i think i have a few pictures of them.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

as far as cheap exhaust goes,i just cut out the muffler(today) on mine and im very happy with it. However that might not be a good idea if you have a picky law enforcement(all the cop's boys around here drive big chevy's and f150s w/ no cats or mufflers so they don't care lol).
The shop only charged me 25 bucks to replace the muffler w/ normal pipe.
anyway good luck with making it your stang!
bobbytheapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin99coupe
i'm a high school student with a red 99, and there are a lot of things i want to do to make it look mean, but without spending a large amount of money. i want most of the mods to my car chrome, i personally don't like black on red unless it's tint. here's what i would like to do and ideas i have:

1. paint my rims - i have the stock 99 rims, thinking about painting them chrome, only problem is, i don't know how (i.e. what kind of paint to use, if they need to be buffed afterwards, etc.)
2. paint the hood scoop and side scoops - they're only plastic so i figure that wouldn't be too hard. again, don't know what kind of paint would be ideal.
3. bumper inserts - i'm willing to spend money on those, but i don't want to spend 20 dollars on vinyls if it's not worth it. would you recommend the metals (around $50) or the vinyl ($20)?
4. exhaust - someone i know who claims to be good with cars says taking out the catalytic converter would make it louder, but i haven't heard that anywhere else. basically, what could i do to my exaust without buying a 400 dollar kit? (i'd also be willing to spring for tail pipes and mufflers)
5. tail light trim - does it really make a car stand out more? i'm really on the fence.

finally, any tips, recommendations, advice you could give to help me out a little bit? anything will be greatly appreciated. thanks, and happy driving
Gutting or taking out cats will make it significantly louder. Check for a dual exhaust system too like BORLA or Flowmaster. I like BORLA personally, that's what I have BORLA stingers and no cats. Sounds really nice. I am a highschool student too so money is a problem. I found 900 $ exhaust for 200 $ on eBay and craigslist.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Also buy the 70 $ CAI off of AmericanMuscle. Really cheap but I've heard well worth it.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

yeah my friend said taking out the converter would make it significantly louder, but as for emissions, i get 18 miles tithe gallon and wanna try and keep it close to that. do you know if it alters mpg?
and how does your exhaust sound now? i'm pretty satisfied with the stock sounds, i would just like to make it a little louder and maybe a bit deeper. would taking out the muffler deepen it at all?
and i've been looking on ebay for exhausts, and i've been finding some for around 200 dollars but that's a little much for me. when i say high school student with no job i mean i get 20 dollars for completely landscaping the lawn (mowing, edging, blowing, all that jazz) which almost never happens, partly because i'm too lazy haha.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah my friend said taking out the converter would make it significantly louder, but as for emissions, i get 18 miles tithe gallon and wanna try and keep it close to that. do you know if it alters mpg?
and how does your exhaust sound now? i'm pretty satisfied with the stock sounds, i would just like to make it a little louder and maybe a bit deeper. would taking out the muffler deepen it at all?
and i've been looking on ebay for exhausts, and i've been finding some for around 200 dollars but that's a little much for me. when i say high school student with no job i mean i get 20 dollars for completely landscaping the lawn (mowing, edging, blowing, all that jazz) which almost never happens, partly because i'm too lazy haha.
I noticed no difference in milage. A CAI will make u milage better. Do some extra chores. That's what I did. I don't have a job either. Yet. I am getting one soon so I can buy a tuner though.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

sounds like a plan. thanks a bunch man. I'll give you guys an update if and when i get some work done.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
sounds like a plan. thanks a bunch man. I'll give you guys an update if and when i get some work done.
Yah man. Let me know.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If your wheels are still in a good condition really think about spraying them, because once you do, there is no way to go back to the original state. If you do spray them they can come out looking great. I would recommend either sanding or roughing up the wheels before spraying them; they have a coating on them that the paint won't stick to well. Duplicolor and rustoleoum work the same.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

they are the original stock rims, and i'd say they're about halfway in between really nice and decent. ideally i would love to get some magnum 500s but i'd have to wait until my birthday in July to ask for them. but it seemed like a quick way to up my exterior. do you know if painting rims is a super hard thing to do?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Other

I did my other set of '93 Cobra wheels about a week ago with the Rustoleum wheel paint. Just sand them down to rough them up a bit, spray some primer on and then paint. You might also want to put a clear coat on them as well. It makes the paint look deeper and more professional.
Make sure when you paint them to do a lot of thin coats instead of just a couple of thick coats. Allow at least 10-15 minutes between the coats for best results!

Here are a couple of the ones I did......
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
I wouldn't suggest painting Crome... That paint is super flakey and from my experience NEVER looks like Crome....
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin99coupe View Post

1. You could paint your rims if you want a different look. I'm guessing you have the 6 spoke 15" rims. I'd look for a cheap set of 02+ 16" v6 wheels. People are usually selling sets of them for ~$200 and with a drop, they look pretty good on the sixers.

2. I'd leave the scoops the same color...the chrome inserts you mentioned would look good...I've seen them on cars and they do look sharp.

3. The vinyl inserts do look fine and do hold up. So if you wanted to save some money and get the silver vinyls, I'd say go for it.

4. Cut out your stock muffler and have a single flowmaster or spintech welded in place...for ~$100 you can get improved sound. I'd also cut off the tailpipe under the bumper and put a turndown tip underneath the car...this will look better (with the v6 bumper) and make the exhaust note deeper.

5. Tail light "tint" looks good on pretty much every color mustang imo.
As said, tail light tint is relatively cheap:
-VHT niteshade is the spray on, 2-3 coats followed by a clear and sanding to make them look glossy rather than flat
-vinyl tint strips, removable if you need to and fairly easy to apply

There are quite a few things you can do to make it more aggressive without breaking bank.

Get a shorty antenna - $20 on American Muscle, free shipping. Either 8" or 14"...great cheap mod to get rid of that fishing pole.

Get some 1" wheel spacers to push the rear wheels out to sit flush with the fender. This gives the car a wider stance and gives it that staggered look. Your car won't look so top heavy with small dia. rims too.

A mach 1 chin spoiler is another great exterior mod...cleans up the front end and makes the car look way more aggressive.

Since you have a 99, you could move the spoiler back a couple inches. That's another free and easy mod out there.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

wow. those rims look really nice.
yeahbut just a disclaimer, i made a mistake by saying chrome, i meant silver, sorry about that.
i've been putting more thought into it, and i've been looking at other stangs and the red and black look is growing on me. i might end up painting the rims black, and changing the buyable add-one to black if possible (antenna, vinyls). plus it would go well with the tint i'm planning on getting, hopefully some 10% visibility.
if i did have a lot of money, i'd probably spring for a full exhaust system, the chin spoiler, side vents and a rear louver, but money is a big issue, so i'm just trying to squeeze every drop i can out of my current situation.
if you read earlier, it said that i could just replace the muffler with a straight pipe for cheap, i'll probably do that, but also consider the exhaust tip idea too.
thanks everybody for all the posts, this is a gigantic help, and if you think of anything else just keep it comin.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yah I've always liked red/black combination. What's nice about using black is that the vinyls, tint, black fuel door, chin spoiler all accent the black wheels.

Here's a few stangs from American Muscle:

Keep in mind you'll want to check with your state law enforcement to see what tint percents are considered legal. You can get your windows tinted darker than the legal limit, but be ready for tickets if the coppers dislike that kind of thing.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

1. You could paint your rims if you want a different look. I'm guessing you have the 6 spoke 15" rims. I'd look for a cheap set of 02+ 16" v6 wheels. People are usually selling sets of them for ~$200 and with a drop, they look pretty good on the sixers.

2. I'd leave the scoops the same color...the chrome inserts you mentioned would look good...I've seen them on cars and they do look sharp.

3. The vinyl inserts do look fine and do hold up. So if you wanted to save some money and get the silver vinyls, I'd say go for it.

4. Cut out your stock muffler and have a single flowmaster or spintech welded in place...for ~$100 you can get improved sound. I'd also cut off the tailpipe under the bumper and put a turndown tip underneath the car...this will look better (with the v6 bumper) and make the exhaust note deeper.

5. Tail light "tint" looks good on pretty much every color mustang imo.
As said, tail light tint is relatively cheap:
-VHT niteshade is the spray on, 2-3 coats followed by a clear and sanding to make them look glossy rather than flat
-vinyl tint strips, removable if you need to and fairly easy to apply

There are quite a few things you can do to make it more aggressive without breaking bank.

Get a shorty antenna - $20 on American Muscle, free shipping. Either 8" or 14"...great cheap mod to get rid of that fishing pole.

Get some 1" wheel spacers to push the rear wheels out to sit flush with the fender. This gives the car a wider stance and gives it that staggered look. Your car won't look so top heavy with small dia. rims too.

A mach 1 chin spoiler is another great exterior mod...cleans up the front end and makes the car look way more aggressive.

Since you have a 99, you could move the spoiler back a couple inches. That's another free and easy mod out there.
Sonic how would you move the rear spoiler back a few inches. How would you cover the holes

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:12 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

I painted my wheels on my own... i maybe use them a couple weeks out of the year tops... mainly if I am traveling a long distance to a show... so I dont get any major dings on the show wheels. And i am guessing that you are going to want to take the route that I would recommend to you. Since you are on a HS budget... you prolly are not going to be able to dismount the tires... and properly paint these wheels... here is what I would suggest.

1 - Take one wheel off at a time and sand it down.
2 - wipe clean with an alcohol wipe... couple bucks from autozone... makes the whole process work trust me.
3 - Take a deck of cards... and stick them in height-wise in between the wheel and tire... so it looks like a bowl... this will protect your tire from getting any paint on it.
4 - Primer the wheel
5 - Paint the wheel
6 - 2000 grit lightly sand the top layer
7 - clear coat
8 - wet sand
9 - mount the wheel back on the car... I would honestly start this on a friday night and plan on all weekend through sunday to get it right. Take your time. Patience is a virtue. I have painted about 7 sets of wheels, and about a million car parts... all with a rattle can and I have yet to hear of complaints of my work, and or have issues with any of my work... Hope this helps! take car

one of the 99-01 cobra/04 GT Premium wheels I did.

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Just an opinion but...
Instead of dropping a large amount of cash into it, spend some time with some mothers clay bars, get the paint looking good. Next get some quality wax and wax it to a glossy finish. Get your windows tinted by a professional, buy the "smoked" headlights from American muscle or late model resto, finally check on legality of tinting tail lights, and then get them done too. That's going to give you that look you want!
Again, just my opinion!
Good luck!
Nasty Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack View Post
Sonic how would you move the rear spoiler back a few inches. How would you cover the holes
To do so you have to drill some new holes...moving it back slightly (for some overhang) you drill 2 holes (one on each side) and the old holes are covered.

The most extreme move requires drilling 3 new holes but the old holes will be covered up by the spoiler.

Here's the article that explains how to do it:

Mustangworld - Move your Mustang wing back

Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

yeah black and red does look pretty good. the only complaint i would have, and this is my fault, is i have a ford racing plate on the front that's silver, and although i have no idea what it'd look like yet, i feel like it would really stick out due to all of the black. but i could always buy a black one, they're pretty cheap.
thanks for the tips on the rims, but how many coats did you spray on the wheels (primer, color, and clearcoat)? someone i know painted their FR500s black and he said he didn't use any primer, sprayed about 7 coats of color, then 3 coats of clearcoat, and they turned out really nice.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Nice. I am gonna go flat black on my hood
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Nice. I am gonna go flat black on my hood
Shelbie has a large flat black stripe on her GT. I like it.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

Shelbie has a large flat black stripe on her GT. I like it.
I saw yours and I thought I might need that contrast
Old 02-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

I saw yours and I thought I might need that contrast
Yeah, the vert has one as well. I was talking about her '02. About 6 inches on each side of the hood is body color and the rest is flat black. Its a replacement hood, and whoever did it did a good job on it.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah, the vert has one as well. I was talking about her '02. About 6 inches on each side of the hood is body color and the rest is flat black. Its a replacement hood, and whoever did it did a good job on it.
It's a nice car. And the trade worked out great for you
Old 02-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:

It's a nice car. And the trade worked out great for you
What trade? Lol. She still has her GT. We just put the bulitts back on it is all. I like it better with em.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 AM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:

What trade? Lol. She still has her GT. We just put the bulitts back on it is all. I like it better with em.
For your contour. I say you made out pretty good
Old 02-24-2011, 01:01 AM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:

For your contour. I say you made out pretty good
Yeah for sure. I paid for the vert and gave it to my bro in law and he gave me the Contour for intrest on the loan. He and my sis didn't get what they thought on their taxes so they couldn't pay me back, so I just gave back the Contour and got the vert.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

on shelbie's gt, did she paint the hood herself or get it done?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
She got it done.
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:
It was like that when she got the car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang