New owner, 2002 Mustang starting problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #1

Region: South Carolina
New owner, 2002 Mustang starting problems

Hey everyone, I'm a new owner of a 2002 mustang V6 convertible, and just have a question, or two.

I replaced the spark plugs, and wires, did the whole grease job, and everything day I bought it.

A couple of days later (through off and on driving) the car won't start. I jump it and let it run for a little while which it did fine. I turned her off, and back on and nothing. I went through the same procedure, and same thing happened. I took the battery out and put in another spare one I had, and it started fine. I took her out for a spin, and everything was working fine (except for a little ringing sound coming from one of the belt pulleys [different name?]. I left her alone for an hour or two and then I notice that when I turn the ignition it starts strong, then goes down a tiny bit then back up. I have to hold in the key a little longer than normal as well. Any ideas, remedies for this?

My second question is towards the suspension. The shocks and springs need to be replace and I'm looking for a site that specializes with Mustangs.Do you guys have an particular idea which online store is the best? I'm talking about price, shipping, the whole deal. On a further note, is there any online guides on how to change the Mustang shocks and springs? A tutorial, if you will that could help guide me along for a DIY'er?

thanks for the help
skelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #2

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to lima4111
Re: New owner, 2002 Mustang starting problems

Skelaw, I have found this site has good prices and they do have how to videos on alot of the items they sell. Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle
They sell nothing but mustang parts and you can shop by year. Hope this helps you out.
lima4111
lima4111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaw
Hey everyone, I'm a new owner of a 2002 mustang V6 convertible, and just have a question, or two.

I replaced the spark plugs, and wires, did the whole grease job, and everything day I bought it.

A couple of days later (through off and on driving) the car won't start. I jump it and let it run for a little while which it did fine. I turned her off, and back on and nothing. I went through the same procedure, and same thing happened. I took the battery out and put in another spare one I had, and it started fine. I took her out for a spin, and everything was working fine (except for a little ringing sound coming from one of the belt pulleys [different name?]. I left her alone for an hour or two and then I notice that when I turn the ignition it starts strong, then goes down a tiny bit then back up. I have to hold in the key a little longer than normal as well. Any ideas, remedies for this?

My second question is towards the suspension. The shocks and springs need to be replace and I'm looking for a site that specializes with Mustangs.Do you guys have an particular idea which online store is the best? I'm talking about price, shipping, the whole deal. On a further note, is there any online guides on how to change the Mustang shocks and springs? A tutorial, if you will that could help guide me along for a DIY'er?

thanks for the help
+1 on americanmuscle.com and they always have free shipping and have u checked alternator? Autozone will check them for free if you don't know how
Mustangguy0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
AM is great. Free shipping and it comes in two days!
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #5

Region: South Carolina

Will advance auto parts do the job as well?

Thanks for the replies!
skelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaw
Will advance auto parts do the job as well?

Thanks for the replies!
Hmmm not sure I'd call and find out
Mustangguy0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah check out our site sponsors...American Muscle, CJ Pony Parts, Latemodel Restoration, NQS Performance, etc...all offer great prices, customer service, and some offer free shipping! All of those sites are mustang specific vendors.

If you want to keep things less expensive than auto zone could work...maybe a monroe shock/strut set if you want cheaper OEM based replacement parts.

If you want to upgrade slightly into a better shock/strut that's great for daily driving that's mildly performance oriented than Tokico HP's or KYB would be a good choice.

I'd definitely check your alternator...that could be the cause of the frequent failures to start and turn over immediately.

There are numerous articles online for strut/shock/spring removal and installation. We have one that focuses mainly on springs, but does show strut removal and such.

Installing Mustang Lowering Springs

I'm sure some vendors like American Muscle offer tech vids and instructions as well.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
2002 mustang