2000 Mustang V6 3.8L Modifications - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
2000 Mustang V6 3.8L Modifications

I have a 2000 Ford V6 - 3.8L Automatic. Here is a list of modifications I Would like to do over the next couple of years and would like feedback and suggestion I know I have missed things. And I am trying to get a plan of attack to start this build this summer and want to drive the car while I do the first of the Mods. Then do the bigger Mods in the winter. Thanks and I look forward to the feedback. :
1) Rims and Tires:
2) Cold Air Intake:
3) Tuner:
4) Headers with Flowmaster 40 true dual exhaust.
5) Performance chip.
6) 3.73 gears.
7) B&M shift Kit;
8) B&M Hammer Shifter.
9) Transmission Cooler.
10) Suspension ( Would Like Suggestions)
11) 4.2 Sroker kit
12) Ignition (Would Like Sugestions)
13) Other body modifications ( Rear Window Louvers, Mustang bumper insert, Fuel Door, Mustang rocker stripe, Le Mans stripe, Hood Pins, Mustang Window decal.)
14) Motor under hood dress up
PapaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaP
I have a 2000 Ford V6 - 3.8L Automatic. Here is a list of modifications I Would like to do over the next couple of years and would like feedback and suggestion I know I have missed things. And I am trying to get a plan of attack to start this build this summer and want to drive the car while I do the first of the Mods. Then do the bigger Mods in the winter. Thanks and I look forward to the feedback. :
1) Rims and Tires:
2) Cold Air Intake:
3) Tuner:
5) Performance chip.
6) 3.73 gears.
7) B&M shift Kit;
8) B&M Hammer Shifter.
9) Transmission Cooler.
11) 4.2 Sroker kit
13) Other body modifications ( Rear Window Louvers, Mustang bumper insert, Fuel Door, Mustang rocker stripe, Le Mans stripe, Hood Pins, Mustang Window decal.)
First off I would buy BORLA stingers instead of flowmaster. BORLA has a lower tone to it compared to the more highpitched flowmaster. Other than that your list looks good. The CAI won't do muh for power but it will look and sound good.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy

First off I would buy BORLA stingers instead of flowmaster. BORLA has a lower tone to it compared to the more highpitched flowmaster. Other than that your list looks good. The CAI won't do muh for power but it will look and sound good.
I actually agree with Joshy. Haha. Borla stingers are great. Their sound is perfect. Flowmasters are a little to quiet IMO.
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
When it comes to exhaust there are always 100 right answers lol
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno4life

I actually agree with Joshy. Haha. Borla stingers are great. Their sound is perfect. Flowmasters are a little to quiet IMO.
Aww. That's so sweet that you agree. . For once. Haha
Old 02-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
Yah. But I've heard flowmaster in person and BORLA in person and BORLA is deeper and I think everyone can agree that that is better. I guess it's preference. I prefer borla
Old 02-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: 2000 Mustang V6 3.8L Modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
That's why we have had 100 different threads on exhaust in the last week.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy View Post
That's why we have had 100 different threads on exhaust in the last week.
Lol
And all have been very helpful
I learned a lot but I still don't know which I want on my car
Lol

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:

Aww. That's so sweet that you agree. . For once. Haha
Hahaha! No hard feelings. I was just messing with you the other day
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno4life

Hahaha! No hard feelings. I was just messing with you the other day
It's all good bro. I cam get annoying I admit
Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Tech thread guys, lets keep this one on topic.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I was not aware of BORLA but I will look into them. What is everyones thoughts on headers to go with them? I want to get the best sound I canget and I know it wont sound like a v8. I just want the car to sound good and run strong so I can play hard with it but I will not be racing it. Thanks for the input that is why I joined this forum and would like to hear people thoughts on modifications and all the little things that I may run into and need to do when I do each one of the mods. Also any thoughts on the order of the mods.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaP View Post
1) Rims and Tires:
2) Cold Air Intake:
3) Tuner:
5) Performance chip.
6) 3.73 gears.
7) B&M shift Kit;
8) B&M Hammer Shifter.
9) Transmission Cooler.
11) 4.2 Sroker kit
1) personal preference - check American Muscle, they have a huge selection to give you an idea of what's out there

2) I wouldn't get too carried away - The AM v6 CAI for $75 is fine, or a Bomz CAI off ebay would work too

3) Good idea to get one...I'd wait until your bolt ons are installed ~ exhaust, CAI, UDP's, gears. Then you can include them and adjust for gear changes. You can also have your transmission altered for more aggressive shifts and pressure points

4) personal preference - long tubes and an h-pipe will give you a deeper tone. Mufflers are really a personal preference - Flowmaster, Borla, Pypes, Bassani, Spintech, Ford Racing, the list goes on

5) Chips are a thing of the past...a handheld tuner will the same and much more much easier. SCT and Diablosport are the 2 popuar brands.

6) 3.73's for manuals, 4.10's for autos...3..90's are a good balance between the 2, but are harder to come by.

7) after the improvements to the transmission from the tuner, you probably won't need a shift kit...the tuner is much easier to use, and you can simply remove the tune and return the car back to stock settings if you want

8) more of a personal preference...they do make the kits for the 99-04 autos

9) not a bad idea...also a 2500 stall converter might be a good idea to when you're pushing serious power

10) new shocks/struts, progressive springs, caster camber plates, strut tower brace, subframe connectors, new ball joints and bumpsteer kit, and a rear sway bar will make it a corner carver, as well as handle better regarding putting power to the ground

11) 4.2 stroker = more power = more money Supersix motorsports and Tom Morana V6 Racing both offer entire kits and components to build the 3.8/3.9

12) I know they make aftermarket ignitions...not too sure whether you'd need one or if the stock one would be fine.

13) personal preference - the options are limitless, you never see two mustangs alike

14) There are several options for underhood dressup - custom chrome pieces or you can paint your intakes

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy
Tech thread guys, lets keep this one on topic.
Sorry. My bad.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaP
I was not aware of BORLA but I will look into them. What is everyones thoughts on headers to go with them? I want to get the best sound I canget and I know it wont sound like a v8. I just want the car to sound good and run strong so I can play hard with it but I will not be racing it. Thanks for the input that is why I joined this forum and would like to hear people thoughts on modifications and all the little things that I may run into and need to do when I do each one of the mods. Also any thoughts on the order of the mods.
I have shorties on mine and it still sounds good. I would buy MAC or BBK though if it was me.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

1) personal preference - check American Muscle, they have a huge selection to give you an idea of what's out there

2) I wouldn't get too carried away - The AM v6 CAI for $75 is fine, or a Bomz CAI off ebay would work too

3) Good idea to get one...I'd wait until your bolt ons are installed ~ exhaust, CAI, UDP's, gears. Then you can include them and adjust for gear changes. You can also have your transmission altered for more aggressive shifts and pressure points

4) personal preference - long tubes and an h-pipe will give you a deeper tone. Mufflers are really a personal preference - Flowmaster, Borla, Pypes, Bassani, Spintech, Ford Racing, the list goes on

5) Chips are a thing of the past...a handheld tuner will the same and much more much easier. SCT and Diablosport are the 2 popuar brands.

6) 3.73's for manuals, 4.10's for autos...3..90's are a good balance between the 2, but are harder to come by.

7) after the improvements to the transmission from the tuner, you probably won't need a shift kit...the tuner is much easier to use, and you can simply remove the tune and return the car back to stock settings if you want

8) more of a personal preference...they do make the kits for the 99-04 autos

9) not a bad idea...also a 2500 stall converter might be a good idea to when you're pushing serious power

10) new shocks/struts, progressive springs, caster camber plates, strut tower brace, subframe connectors, new ball joints and bumpsteer kit, and a rear sway bar will make it a corner carver, as well as handle better regarding putting power to the ground

11) 4.2 stroker = more power = more money Supersix motorsports and Tom Morana V6 Racing both offer entire kits and components to build the 3.8/3.9

12) I know they make aftermarket ignitions...not too sure whether you'd need one or if the stock one would be fine.

13) personal preference - the options are limitless, you never see two mustangs alike

14) There are several options for underhood dressup - custom chrome pieces or you can paint your intakes
Beautifully put. This is spot on.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the input now I can see I have nore reserch to do but hey thats half the fun right. I just want to make sure I start off in the right direction.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaP View Post
Thanks for all the input now I can see I have nore reserch to do but hey thats half the fun right. I just want to make sure I start off in the right direction.
Exactly...and that's what the forums are for. We'd rather see a fellow mustang enthusiast get the best bang for his buck and buy mods that are going to give off some results.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
I have that same shift kit and it works!!!
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Take a look at my car and you can see that louver looks great very aggressive. Americanmuscle.com go to that website!!! You wont be disappointed I promise
Old 02-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #21
Road Trip!

And a screaming demon coil also helps for ignition!!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
Take a look at my car and you can see that louver looks great very aggressive. Americanmuscle.com go to that website!!! You wont be disappointed I promise
Quarter window or rear?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And a screaming demon coil also helps for ignition!!
What do you mean helps ignition?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
Road Trip!

@ joshy the rear window Louver and you can find the quarter window Louver and all at Americanmuscle.com. And the screaming demon coil is found on that website also. It adds a few horses, better firing, and more mpgs, and more
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Worded that wrong lol helps ignition...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
@ joshy the rear window Louver and you can find the quarter window Louver and all at Americanmuscle.com. And the screaming demon coil is found on that website also. It adds a few horses, better firing, and more mpgs, and more
K. What is the point of helping ignition? What does it do for the car?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Well like I jus said in my previous message it will help you on mpg, little hp, better firing, also better idle and starts...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Trust me everything from American muscle is good stuff you won't be disappointed
Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well like I jus said in my previous message it will help you on mpg, little hp, better firing, also better idle and starts...
K I gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up
Old 02-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #30
Road Trip!

I messed up lol helps ignition
Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Also I'm putting pypes true dual exhaust system on my stang it has the x pipe without catalatic converters when I get them put on I'll let you know how they are..
Old 02-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also I'm putting pypes true dual exhaust system on my stang it has the x pipe without catalatic converters when I get them put on I'll let you know how they are..
I have BORLAS. Sound really good
Old 02-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
Blackedout thanks I think I am on the right track just trying to make a plan so when I bring the car up from Florida to Central NY I an ready to start my Mods. Only drawback this year is I only about 4500.00 set aside to start my Mods. So I am going to do as many as I can this year complete all but the rebuild of the moter to a 4.2 stroker next summer and then pull the motor in the fall and do the motor with my boys over the winter and drop it back in the car in the spring. So I hope to be finished in 3 years. And please keep me up to date with your car as it seems you are going down the same road and I appreciate the feed back.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

K. What is the point of helping ignition? What does it do for the car?
It creates a bigger spark which burns more fuel thus making more power and giving you better gas mileage as well however to get the most from the coil you need upgraded wires an plugs
Mustangguy0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangguy0202

It creates a bigger spark which burns more fuel thus making more power and giving you better gas mileage as well however to get the most from the coil you need upgraded wires an plugs
Burning more fuel gives better milage? Lol. I believe you I'm just saying. Interesting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
2000 mustang