Stang Overheating and Heater not Working - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Stang Overheating and Heater not Working

My car was parked for about a year without any use. I renewed its registration and found it's overheating. It happens more in town and stop n go traffic. If I am on the highway it does better. When it happens the heater and AC stop working.

Today I decided to flush the radiator. Not very experienced at proper procedures, but I drained the radiator through the bottom and kept water from the hose running through the system. I found LOTS of gunk on the cap and the neck of the radiator. It was like wet sand in color and consistency...got as much as I could from the top. So I flushed it for a good long time, stopped the water and let what was inside drain then turned it off. I noticed the resevoir was to the top. I turned it back on with the plug pulled out to let the resevoir water go through the system and drain out the bottom. I ran it and ran it some more and I couldn't get the water out the bottom. I had the heater going all the time and the temperature climbed all the way into the red without being able to pass the resevoir water into the radiator. The heater wasn't heating just blowing air. I replaced the thermostat few months before letting it rest for a year. I bought a radiator flush fluid and radiator coolant. What should I do next? I would like to solve this problem before filling it up with coolant.
villa029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: Stang Overheating and Heater not Working

Sounds like it could be a clogged heater core to me.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy
Definitely.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #4

Region: Texas

Your radiator fan could also not be functioning because of an electrical problem. On highway speeds you won't see this problem because the radiator fan turns off. The fan will always be on if the A/C is on and isnt past a certain speed. Hopefully its not but it could be your CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module), it regulates the A/C and radiator along with other things. If the fan is still working with the A/C on while its idling then it shouldn't be the CCRM.
cham43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy
Plus 1
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #6
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Out of curiosity how does a heater core become clogged?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Rust, sediment, just general crap and buildup in the cooling system. Any kind of stop leak additives will also build up and make it worse. Furthest thing from the water pump as well, so not as much of a pressurised flow. Hence why bad cores usually just have a slow leak rather than a radiator at pressure will spray out usually.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Ford likes to use heater control valves which shut off flow to the core. Stuff just builds up there and grows. If there is any kind of air pockets trapped in the core it just gets worse. The green coolant seems to work a lot better than the newer stuff. I've converted all of my vehicles to green. U should use distilled water in your coolant system also. Tap water has too many minerals in it.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
Ford likes to use heater control valves which shut off flow to the core. Stuff just builds up there and grows. If there is any kind of air pockets trapped in the core it just gets worse. The green coolant seems to work a lot better than the newer stuff. I've converted all of my vehicles to green. U should use distilled water in your coolant system also. Tap water has too many minerals in it.
I forgot about the valves too. and +1 on the distilled water.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #10
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Thanks. Learn something new every day

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Thanks. Learn something new every day
Ok. I try my best not to learn anything. I got enough bull**** in my head and not enough brain cells left to hold on to it. I'm content with my current knowledge level.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy View Post
I forgot about the valves too. and +1 on the distilled water.
so is distilled water supposed to be the same as de-ionozed water? i was always taught to use de-ionized.

also guys, if this car is running hot while being flushed (as he says), i seriously dought it the heater core. with all the sediment that looks like "glass/sand" is evidence of someone trying to do a chemical fix on a blown head gasket, as opposed to built up minerals. a clogged heater core isnt gonna make a car run hot, it just wont have heat is all. im leaning toward a blown head gasket, and i believe somone tried fixing it before with chemicals and it didnt hold. not too mention a car shouldnt run hot while being flushed.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
so is distilled water supposed to be the same as de-ionozed water? i was always taught to use de-ionized.

also guys, if this car is running hot while being flushed (as he says), i seriously dought it the heater core. with all the sediment that looks like "glass/sand" is evidence of someone trying to do a chemical fix on a blown head gasket, as opposed to built up minerals. a clogged heater core isnt gonna make a car run hot, it just wont have heat is all. im leaning toward a blown head gasket, and i believe somone tried fixing it before with chemicals and it didnt hold. not too mention a car shouldnt run hot while being flushed.
It wasn't running hot WHILE being flushed. I believe it is able to run the water through the system. It remained cool while I kept a constant flow of water directly through the radiator. While doing this the resevoir filled up and I have not been able to empty it out. It won't move the water from the resevoir into the radiator. When I stopped the water through the radiator I let it empty out completely and closed all plugs and caps to keep it pressurized. The only water that was in the system was the remaining water in the resevoir. I ran it plenty and temperature climbed to its max without moving the water from the resevoir. What does circulating resevoir fluids depend on?

I have never had any internal problems and have never introduced anything chemical into the motor besides seafoam, once. I thought the residue was dirt that entered the system. The resevoir container was empty and looked dirty at the bottom as if water had evaporated and dirt concentrated at the bottom.

How do you fix a clogged heater core? Is it necessary to replace it? Is it recommended I run a chemical radiator flush through the radiator cap?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx

Deionized is even better but it's not on the shelf at the grocery store. Distilled is sufficient enough.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by villa029 View Post
It wasn't running hot WHILE being flushed. I believe it is able to run the water through the system. It remained cool while I kept a constant flow of water directly through the radiator. While doing this the resevoir filled up and I have not been able to empty it out. It won't move the water from the resevoir into the radiator. When I stopped the water through the radiator I let it empty out completely and closed all plugs and caps to keep it pressurized. The only water that was in the system was the remaining water in the resevoir. I ran it plenty and temperature climbed to its max without moving the water from the resevoir. What does circulating resevoir fluids depend on?

I have never had any internal problems and have never introduced anything chemical into the motor besides seafoam, once. I thought the residue was dirt that entered the system. The resevoir container was empty and looked dirty at the bottom as if water had evaporated and dirt concentrated at the bottom.

How do you fix a clogged heater core? Is it necessary to replace it? Is it recommended I run a chemical radiator flush through the radiator cap?
ok, so do you see the water circulate in the radiator with the cap off?

either the water isnt circulating like a clogged radiator... or a bad water pump.. if it's running hot just from letting it idle, the heater core is the least of your issues right now.

do you see any excessive bubbles or or excessive water movement in the overflow?

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

this reminds me that I need to swap my coolant out soon.. been 5 years.. I just dont want to do it
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
this reminds me that I need to swap my coolant out soon.. been 5 years.. I just dont want to do it
I just replaced my radiator a few months back just because. Mishimoto. That thing is really nice and half price of a fluidine.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
ok, so do you see the water circulate in the radiator with the cap off?

either the water isnt circulating like a clogged radiator... or a bad water pump.. if it's running hot just from letting it idle, the heater core is the least of your issues right now.

do you see any excessive bubbles or or excessive water movement in the overflow?
I cannot tell if it's circulating through the system or if it just pours out the bottom.

It was running hot while idling. The fan does turn on.

There is no movement or bubbles at all in the resevoir canister.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Any suggestions on what to do next?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #20
Titus Wadicus
Regular

perhaps a water pump...

Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

first take both hoses off the heater core and using the water hose spray water through both core outlets to see if its clogged. If it is replace it.

Then after that take the thermostat out and run the car without it to see if it gets hot still. Also if this hasn't been mentioned always keep one of the heater core hoses off when filling the radiator so you have no air pockets. Its easier if you have two people, one to fill and one to put the hose on the heater core when water starts to run out of it.

After all of this and if it still runs hot change the water pump. If it still runs hot after that then you have a bad headgasket.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Wouldn't it be easier to use the bleeder valve on top of the motor when filling it up? That what I've always done. Only takes one person and it also how the Haynes manuel says to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
Old 03-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to use the bleeder valve on top of the motor when filling it up? That what I've always done. Only takes one person and it also how the Haynes manuel says to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
Its alright to use that if the front of the car is higher than the back but most of the time it isn't and it leaves a air pocket it the heater core which will make your car run hot. I've seen it plenty in fords through out my years of working on them, the bleeders don't always get the air out. Rangers, bronco 2s, and explorers are very bad at this, I've owned all three and they always had to be filled up with coolant that way or they would run hot.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang