Did something kinda dumb - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Did something kinda dumb

Well I've been ordering various parts and new 1.5" drop springs are next. So I followed a very detailed write up and went ahead and cut a coil off all my springs (I have two sets so if something went wrong or I didn't like it I could just stick a fresh set of springs on). I have to admit I really like the way it looks. The ride is the same as before, though I do get a little noise up front on big pot holes (left iso off, it's going back on though) and the back end has some wiggle going over speed bumps. I just wanted to find out what all the rage was about with cutting springs. Now that I have done it, I'd say do not do it if you do not have extra springs handy because if you don't like it you are out of luck, and I dont imagine its a good long term solution for lowering.The new springs, struts and shocks are going on soon and I have the spare set so I really wasn't taking any chances. It's dark out now so I will post some pictures of it tomorrow. All in all took me about two hours from start to finish, mind you I am quite efficient at pulling apart my suspension components and have a good bit of experience. Est time should be between 2-4 hours depending on your tools and skill level.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Also for those thinking of doing this, you can pick up lowering springs on eBay for like 70-100 bucks. While not the best route I still feel those are better than cutting. For a little more you can actually get some good springs.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #3

Region: New Jersey
Re: Did something kinda dumb

also one note, i lowered my stang, but installed an adjustable upper control arm.
if you are intendind to do so use the edelbrock upper. i used a UMI, and bent it.
it will not handle the lowering.
theofficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I'm sort of confused...why did you title the thread "Did something kinda dumb"?

Doesn't sound dumb to me...there are a lot of people who cut springs to lower their cars...I personally would never do it simply because the stock springs are linear and the rate changes when you remove coils. The stock springs/shocks/struts are rated for the normal length springs and forcing them to work with at an unintended rate will cause premature wear not to mention a noisy and uncomfortable ride.

It's not a horrible project if you replace them with lowering springs shortly afterwards.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hence "kinda". It's dumb if you take off too much and not a good idea to use it as a permanent option.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

She does "wiggle" a good bit over speed bumps now

Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

In a lot of peoples eyes it is really stupid to cut springs. Being that I had a second set and was even still going to buy lowering springs I think I was covering my bases. I do think that those that are on a tight budget and want to use this long term, it is a dumb idea. Some may say well mine rides exactly the same are not very in tune with their car. There is a noticeable difference at least on a v6 new edge mustang. Kinda dumb, yep, cheap, oh hell yeah. I want to make this very clear. There are some younger guys on this forum that expect to get huge gains for free. That is not possible, that is why these companies are in business, because nothing is free. If that was the case, ford would have made them that way from the get go.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
I'm sort of confused...why did you title the thread "Did something kinda dumb"?

Doesn't sound dumb to me...there are a lot of people who cut springs to lower their cars...I personally would never do it simply because the stock springs are linear and the rate changes when you remove coils. The stock springs/shocks/struts are rated for the normal length springs and forcing them to work with at an unintended rate will cause premature wear not to mention a noisy and uncomfortable ride.

It's not a horrible project if you replace them with lowering springs shortly afterwards.
Yup. For a weekend cruiser no biggie but for your Dd safety first
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
In a lot of peoples eyes it is really stupid to cut springs. Being that I had a second set and was even still going to buy lowering springs I think I was covering my bases. I do think that those that are on a tight budget and want to use this long term, it is a dumb idea. Some may say well mine rides exactly the same are not very in tune with their car. There is a noticeable difference at least on a v6 new edge mustang. Kinda dumb, yep, cheap, oh hell yeah. I want to make this very clear. There are some younger guys on this forum that expect to get huge gains for free. That is not possible, that is why these companies are in business, because nothing is free. If that was the case, ford would have made them that way from the get go.

im in the group that its dumb unless its just a temporary fix. i would never do it to mine but then again thats why i ordered full suspension like u no too long ago. its too ricer for me to cut springs lol but hey its ur car

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Pics after cutting coils, I'll take more after the new suspension goes in

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3404879460.png
Views:	132
Size:	784.2 KB
ID:	24004   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3443481949.png
Views:	130
Size:	787.4 KB
ID:	24005  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-432665768.png
Views:	124
Size:	758.0 KB
ID:	24006  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna put wheel spacers on the back, it will look much better. I'm thinking 3/4 inch but will do some research into first

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang