What Brakes and should I ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
What Brakes and should I ?

I went to the dealer to have them look at my ball joints, which an alignment shop said needed to be replaced. The dealer comes back and says your front brakes are bad and the rotor is frozen and that's why it is pulling to the left. I told them to hold off. Which isn't what I asked of them.

The car has a little over 46K on it and I've noticed the stopping power hasn't been great the past few months, but it exhibits no symptoms of the rotor being stuck and not to mention the $500 they want to fix the problem.

I am thinking once and for all I am going to replace the brakes myself. (I've wanted to do this for years and it's time.) I've read the instructions on how to replace. I've even watched videos.

Before I proceed I want some advice on the following. This is a daily driver.

2006 Ford Mustang V6 Convertible Pony Package.

1. What type pads and rotors do you guys like? (I'm thinking cross drilled) Money wise I'd like to spend $200 total for the rotors and around $75 to $100 total for the pads. For a grand total of around $300.

2. I don't plan on changing the rear out does that matter? This is for the front.

3. Does the brand of jack and jack-stand matter? If yes, which do you like?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Take your rotors to o reileys and have them turned. Only costs about 12 bucks a piece. For pads go with o reileys semi metallic, but not their cheapest ones (about 25 bucks per set) but the next step up as they don't squeak like the cheaper ones, about 40 per set. That will set you well under your 300 dollar budget. Or you can buy a set of slotted rotors all the way around with pads for about 300 on eBay, but I can't speak on the quality of those since I've not used them before

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Might as well do front and rear at the same time, like I said you can do that at o reiley for around 150 if you have the rotors turned.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Re: What Brakes and should I ?

something to consider. Looks like you have the optional 17" bullitt rims, so if you purchase rotors, you can purchase the larger GT Rotors and caliper brackets (pretty inexpensive) and viola! you will have GT front brakes.
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@NQS View Post
something to consider. Looks like you have the optional 17" bullitt rims, so if you purchase rotors, you can purchase the larger GT Rotors and caliper brackets (pretty inexpensive) and viola! you will have GT front brakes.
Nice thinking thanks, John! Thank-You for the suggestion, I didn't even think about that. I do have the 17" inch bullitt rims. Now you've given me a project.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Ceramic leave no dust and stopping power is good. Jmo

Built 2 Last TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Don't forget to paint those calipers while you have them off, or if you get new ones. Much easier to paint and get all the tight spaces when they're off.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

+1

Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Don't forget to paint those calipers while you have them off, or if you get new ones. Much easier to paint and get all the tight spaces when they're off.
I know, just thought about that. But I don't think I'm good enough at painting. I pretend I can paint, I may do the cover thing. We shall see. I haven't even thought about it today.

On a side note has anyone bought the hawk pads from American Muscle ?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

I want to do my brakes for the first time in my life as well as soon as we finally have some nice weather that I like. Let me know how it went, and if you were able to stop! LOL
Old 03-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The Hawk HPS pads are a nice street pad. For anyone that is interested, I can get the (05-11) GT Upgrade kit (Ford rotors and brackets) with a set of HPS brake pads for $240 shipped. That would get you the same if not slightly better front brakes than a stock GT.

One of the additional advantages is that this can be swapped out without bleeding the brakes.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
I know, just thought about that. But I don't think I'm good enough at painting. I pretend I can paint, I may do the cover thing. We shall see. I haven't even thought about it today.

On a side note has anyone bought the hawk pads from American Muscle ?

**** man painting them is easy...my buddy sprayed his while they were on his GT and he probably never painted in kindegarten. I painted mine with a brush but that's because I did it in sonic blue and didn't take the calipers off...if you take them off spraying them with a can is super easy. Just clean and sand them up good, then spray a few even coats allowing each coat to dry before the next. The important thing to remember is to keep the spray even and consistent...you don't want runs on the edges.

Quote:
The Hawk HPS pads are a nice street pad. For anyone that is interested, I can get the (05-11) GT Upgrade kit (Ford rotors and brackets) with a set of HPS brake pads for $240 shipped. That would get you the same if not slightly better front brakes than a stock GT.

One of the additional advantages is that this can be swapped out without bleeding the brakes.
This is a real good price...just keep in mind you have to have a 17" or larger wheel. John please correct me if I'm wrong.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

yep, you are right. You will need at least 17" wheels to clear the bigger rotor.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
**** man painting them is easy...my buddy sprayed his while they were on his GT and he probably never painted in kindegarten. I painted mine with a brush but that's because I did it in sonic blue and didn't take the calipers off...if you take them off spraying them with a can is super easy. Just clean and sand them up good, then spray a few even coats allowing each coat to dry before the next. The important thing to remember is to keep the spray even and consistent...you don't want runs on the edges.

This is a real good price...just keep in mind you have to have a 17" or larger wheel. John please correct me if I'm wrong.
I thought about painting after I looked at the covers. It's quite pricey to go the covers route. I didn't think it would cost $100 for 4 covers. The paint kit is $25. I saw tigercrazy did his, so I thought why not try it. I'm much better with a brush, than a can. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with taking the calipers off.

Quote:
yep, you are right. You will need at least 17" wheels to clear the bigger rotor.
I've got 17" wheels, no question about it. 235/55/17 makes tire shopping a blast. Thanks again John, I'll PM you.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbain76 View Post
I want to do my brakes for the first time in my life as well as soon as we finally have some nice weather that I like. Let me know how it went, and if you were able to stop! LOL
Too bad you don't live here, you could come over and help me.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I thought about painting after I looked at the covers. It's quite pricey to go the covers route. I didn't think it would cost $100 for 4 covers. The paint kit is $25. I saw tigercrazy did his, so I thought why not try it. I'm much better with a brush, than a can. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with taking the calipers off.

I've got 17" wheels, no question about it. 235/55/17 makes tire shopping a blast. Thanks again John, I'll PM you.
Yah painting them on the rotors isn't bad either. Just tape off the areas near the rotors and where the pads are exposed and you'll be fine. I believe the kits come with everything you need and decent instructions.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Update... John they came really fast thanks again. New Brakes are installed and work great. It took us about 2 hours from jack up to jack down. The thing that took a while was finding the right tools.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I painted my caliper with them still on, masked the off real good through

Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
I painted my caliper with them still on, masked the off real good through

Nice...did you take pics of the install. It would make a great sticky

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Idk what breaks u should get but if there is a piece of metal like sheet glued to the break do ur self a favor and take it off. I didn't and the heat from my breaks wore the glue and that peice of metal tore up my rotor.... Jus saying
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I got excited doing them and didn't get many pictures here are the ones I have, it was after I did them. I just covered the rotor with a plastic bag and used masking tape to cover everything else. Did 4 light coats and one medium coat, 15 minutes between each coat and let it sit for about 2 hours before throwing the wheels back on

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2585111792.png
Views:	99
Size:	855.9 KB
ID:	25125   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3305112279.png
Views:	116
Size:	745.5 KB
ID:	25126  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4243104101.png
Views:	102
Size:	799.7 KB
ID:	25127  
Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Update... John they came really fast thanks again. New Brakes are installed and work great. It took us about 2 hours from jack up to jack down. The thing that took a while was finding the right tools.
Excellent! And here I was about to pack up and head your way to help you out! Good to know that it turned out well!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang