Help with Seafoaming a 96 3.8??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #1

Region: Idaho
Help with Seafoaming a 96 3.8???

New to this forum and fairly new to Mustang ownership, recently purchased a 96 3.8 conv with 103k and figure its probably never been cleaned so a seafoaming would do it some good. I've read a few different techniques to the actual process though so I could use some help. Some ppl say to put it through the brake booster but others claim this will only reach half of the cylinders, others say to use the pcv valve, if anyone has actually done this and could provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated.
96Must_tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Must_tang
New to this forum and fairly new to Mustang ownership, recently purchased a 96 3.8 conv with 103k and figure its probably never been cleaned so a seafoaming would do it some good. I've read a few different techniques to the actual process though so I could use some help. Some ppl say to put it through the brake booster but others claim this will only reach half of the cylinders, others say to use the pcv valve, if anyone has actually done this and could provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated.
I always do my cars through the booster hose. Never had any problems with it.

'93 Cobra (Show) '86 Vert (DD)
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

I always do my cars through the booster hose. Never had any problems with it.

'93 Cobra (Show) '86 Vert (DD)
Ditto...but I have a 2v. There are YouTube vids on how it's done. Google it

Built 2 Last TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #4

Re: Help with Seafoaming a 96 3.8???

Thanks, I went through the process earlier today...not as much smoke as I would have guessed but I guess thats a good sign...I've heard that its good to change your oil within about 30 miles if you put it in with the engine oil because of the loosened up slug, what are your guy's thoughts ?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #5

Yes you definitely don't want to leave it sitting in you motor. It breaks down your oil and will ruin your bearings.
BigDean302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Must_tang View Post
Thanks, I went through the process earlier today...not as much smoke as I would have guessed but I guess thats a good sign...I've heard that its good to change your oil within about 30 miles if you put it in with the engine oil because of the loosened up slug, what are your guy's thoughts ?
I probably wouldn't go over 100-150 miles with it in there.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:36 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:

I probably wouldn't go over 100-150 miles with it in there.
K bro if you read the instructions it doesn't say anything about draining it out. It says you can leave it in for the entire oil change interval. 150 isn't enough to get it clean. It would just scratch the surface. It's 100% petroleum and is rubber and gasket safe. Trust me. Not only did I read the instructions before I did it the first time but I also went to the website and emailed the company. I wanted every possible question I had answered before I put it into my car. I sure as hell didn't want to do anything that could have even the tiniest chance of ****ing up something. The seafoam rep that emailed me back said it's strong enough to dissolve sludge and cleans varnish of the metal surfaces but it's 100% petroleum so chemically speaking it's very similar to the oil your putting in. He explained in detail on how to soak the pistons and thoroughly clean the combustion chambers. They actually have a spray now. It's the same stuff that's in the pour cans. You remove your spark plugs and shoot a 20-25 second blast into each cylinder. Put plugs back in. After 10 mins turn car over so it just cranks and runs for as short a time as possible. Like crank it the shut it off. Let soak another 10 mins then take er for a very spirited drive. So just to be clear seafoam is petroleum. Just like oil. So op be confident that 1500 miles is fine. Go to the website. See for yourself

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 03:43 AM   #8

Exactly why I asked because i've heard lots of varied opinions, I'm not due for an oil change for about 1k so I figured it would give it a good cleaning in that time.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDean302
Yes you definitely don't want to leave it sitting in you motor. It breaks down your oil and will ruin your bearings.
No it doesn't. It's 100% petroleum. Go to the website and look for yourself. The rep told me its completely safe and because it's petroleum is has lubricity. Op this gentleman is mistaken. You are gonna get mixed reviews because some people make assumptions without doing their homework. Go to the website and where it says contact us,click it and ask away. They got back to me within a couple of hours. And just to be clear you do not have to drain it immediately. However just to put your own mind at ease contact the company then report back to this thread so it's not just me saying it. And then we can have evidence. Not just my word. Then we can post ACCURATE information. Not assumptions and guesses

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #10
Road Trip!

I retract my previous statement.....lol
Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
I retract my previous statement.....lol
I wasn't trying to bust balls here partner. I am merely stating what the seafoam rep told me in an email. Trust me. I educate myself on everything I feel is pertinent to my car. And I love her. Until lubro-moly I never wasted my money on additives either. I thought it was all snake oil. Then I educated myself on the topic. Same as oil,seafoam,electronic spray cleaner for the iat sensor. I love my baby and I won't just randomly put stuff in. That would not be sensible. Like Lucas oil stabilizer. That stiff is just a w60 oil. With no additives. Just really thick oil. And once it starts getting sloshed around in the crankcase exhibits air bubbles and foam which we all know is really bad. Never EVER pit that stuff in your oil. EVER. Putting a bottle of that in will turn your oil into a 40w50. Might as well be gear oil. I found out the hard way and cooked a 318 dodge motor. Lesson learned

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
I wasn't trying to bust balls here partner. I am merely stating what the seafoam rep told me in an email. Trust me. I educate myself on everything I feel is pertinent to my car. And I love her. Until lubro-moly I never wasted my money on additives either. I thought it was all snake oil. Then I educated myself on the topic. Same as oil,seafoam,electronic spray cleaner for the iat sensor. I love my baby and I won't just randomly put stuff in. That would not be sensible. Like Lucas oil stabilizer. That stiff is just a w60 oil. With no additives. Just really thick oil. And once it starts getting sloshed around in the crankcase exhibits air bubbles and foam which we all know is really bad. Never EVER pit that stuff in your oil. EVER. Putting a bottle of that in will turn your oil into a 40w50. Might as well be gear oil. I found out the hard way and cooked a 318 dodge motor. Lesson learned

Built 2 Last TTT
You're good man. I didn't take offense to it. Just uninformed. I've only ever put seafoam in the intake and the fuel system.

I have seen the spray though, and I want to try what you were talking about spraying inside the cylinders and letting them soak. Sounds like a good idea. Would probably clean the carbon off the pistons and valves for sure. I hear you can spray that stuff right into the throttle body as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:00 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Yup. In the tb,cylinder. Great stuff. And the spray also doubles as a winter prep spray. You know those cans of intake fogger. Oils everything inside so the cast iron parts don't rust and the first start up after the winter rest had a film on the walls thereby reducing metal on metal contact. I didn't even know it existed til about a year ago. Now I buy gallon jugs

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Everett you my friend, are one intelligent S.O.B. lol. What do you do for a living? And could someone post the website? I've been wanting to research this stuff as well and see what all the hype is...I've only got about 37k on my motor but its better to maintain than to fix later down the line lol...oh and a hell of a lot cheaper
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

after you are done give us a before/after comparison and also gas mileage comparison.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_stang
Everett you my friend, are one intelligent S.O.B. lol. What do you do for a living? And could someone post the website? I've been wanting to research this stuff as well and see what all the hype is...I've only got about 37k on my motor but its better to maintain than to fix later down the line lol...oh and a hell of a lot cheaper
I am a carpenter. I build custom homes. And thanks. As far as the seafoam website goes just google it. It will be right at the top

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #17

Car seems to be idling a lot smoother and a little more responsive, we'll see how the mpg is after it drinks this tank.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Must_tang
Car seems to be idling a lot smoother and a little more responsive, we'll see how the mpg is after it drinks this tank.
Good to hear that you got a positive result

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Using Seafoam and discovering a little smoke isn't a bad thing, it's an indication to me that I found the oil condensation in the upper intake.
If you can get some Seafoam into the upper intake and let it soak for 15-20 minutes you really get noticeable improvements in every aspect of acceleration. (Warm engine, not hot)
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
I am a carpenter. I build custom homes. And thanks. As far as the seafoam website goes just google it. It will be right at the top

PETOM.biz TTT
Cool sounds like a great job. Dad use to build cabinets and counters and stuff for kitchens and all that. and thanks man I'm gonna do some research when I get some free time finally
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_stang

Cool sounds like a great job. Dad use to build cabinets and counters and stuff for kitchens and all that. and thanks man I'm gonna do some research when I get some free time finally
Ya...we do everything. I refuse to pay someone to do something I can do myself

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:

You're good man. I didn't take offense to it. Just uninformed. I've only ever put seafoam in the intake and the fuel system.

I have seen the spray though, and I want to try what you were talking about spraying inside the cylinders and letting them soak. Sounds like a good idea. Would probably clean the carbon off the pistons and valves for sure. I hear you can spray that stuff right into the throttle body as well.
That is exactly what it does....and it isn't a harsh chemical. Dissolves all residue up in there. I just discovered the fogger stuff. It works better than the vacuum line because it gets ingested as a mist and cleans the intake walls instead of just getting poured in as a piston soak. I couldn't believe how quick it cleaned my stock plenum when I swapped for the pp one. Where the tube goes in for the crancase vent was just caked with crap....I put some seafoam in a spray bottle and sprayed it...black slime dripping. I am sure if your intake system is real dirty I could see this fouling plugs in a hurry tho

PETOM.biz TTT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang