2003 v6 mods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to explicitrock Send a message via Yahoo to explicitrock Send a message via Skype™ to explicitrock
2003 v6 mods

I'm not trying to build a super car or anything, just a few nick nacks. As of now performance wise I only have an American Muscle CAI, short throw shifter and two flowmaster 40 series mufflers dumped under the doors so somewhat hidden. (because I dont like seeing pipes with no cut outs under a bumper.) This year I was considering getting Longtube headers, performance catalytic converters, and going with two magnaflow mufflers. Good combination? Anything else I should consider before or afterwords?
explicitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by explicitrock
I'm not trying to build a super car or anything, just a few nick nacks. As of now performance wise I only have an American Muscle CAI, short throw shifter and two flowmaster 40 series mufflers dumped under the doors so somewhat hidden. (because I dont like seeing pipes with no cut outs under a bumper.) This year I was considering getting Longtube headers, performance catalytic converters, and going with two magnaflow mufflers. Good combination? Anything else I should consider before or afterwords?
A tuner.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to explicitrock Send a message via Yahoo to explicitrock Send a message via Skype™ to explicitrock
Re: 2003 v6 mods

I was thinking about getting one of those first but I think it would be a better decision to get one afterwords.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
I was thinking about getting one of those first but I think it would be a better decision to get one afterwords.
I think your right
Old 03-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Better to get one first, as it will let you make use of your future mods an free tunes for life so no matter what you add youcan make the most of it

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
Old 03-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
Better to get one first, as it will let you make use of your future mods an free tunes for life so no matter what you add youcan make the most of it

If you order through American muscle. Do it, and if you have an auto, it'll make a huge difference in shifts.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Not getting Magnaflows would be wise.
A tuner first, and then the best of all- A set of 4.10 gears. You will be Oh, so happy. Trust me.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033
Not getting Magnaflows would be wise.
A tuner first, and then the best of all- A set of 4.10 gears. You will be Oh, so happy. Trust me.
I plan on getting a tuner, CAI, and 4.10 gears. I have a BORLA catback now.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah exhaust is a personal preference but I think many v6 owners agree that magnaflows don't sound too good on the v6's. Really, any straight thru design muffler is going to sound droney and high pitched above 3k.

Best to stick with a chambered muffler. The longtubes will make for noticeable sound differences and probably a few hp's. The hi flow cats will be more free flowing than the stock 4, but will still keep the sound reasonable compared to an off road midpipe.

Don't expect huge gains after longtubes and hi flow cats...maybe a few hp/tq after a tune or dyno run.

I'd have to agree that the gears/tuner will be the most effective mods that won't break the bank. If you're an auto, a tuner is a must.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
Yah exhaust is a personal preference but I think many v6 owners agree that magnaflows don't sound too good on the v6's. Really, any straight thru design muffler is going to sound droney and high pitched above 3k.

Best to stick with a chambered muffler. The longtubes will make for noticeable sound differences and probably a few hp's. The hi flow cats will be more free flowing than the stock 4, but will still keep the sound reasonable compared to an off road midpipe.

Don't expect huge gains after longtubes and hi flow cats...maybe a few hp/tq after a tune or dyno run.

I'd have to agree that the gears/tuner will be the most effective mods that won't break the bank. If you're an auto, a tuner is a must.
Completely agree
Old 03-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My best combination, I had shorty headers, h pipe with cats, flowmaster super 44s with 2.5 inch piping and 2.5 inch tips on my 97 v6. My YouTube name is branman2012 if you wanna check it out.
Qwik Four Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
I plan on getting a tuner, CAI, and 4.10 gears. I have a BORLA catback now.
A Borla catback is special. Do you not like it? If not, I'm positive that a few tweaks of the exhaust components and it will be the envy of most V6 owners.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

From the setups I've listened to long tubes and a mid pipe make the most difference. Mine sounds good at idle and above 3k at wot, but in between leaves a lot to be desired, for a six I'm happy. I'm running dual flow 40's h pipe and I still have my cats, though they are coming out when I get some time to take her to the shop. I heard only a couple borla setups on YouTube, and I don't feel they sound any better or worse than the flows, but I do think they sound better than the magnaflows

Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang View Post
My best combination, I had shorty headers, h pipe with cats, flowmaster super 54s with 2.5 inch piping and 2.5 inch tips on my 97 v6. My YouTube name is branman2012 if you wanna check it out.
Brandon I like the sound of yours. I would like to hear it go down the road, ill post a video of mine shortly.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys for the non-****** remarks. I do have a manual so I heard 373 gears would be my best choice. so with that are you guys saying still get a tuner and gears before headers and cats?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Brandon I like the sound of yours. I would like to hear it go down the road, ill post a video of mine shortly.
Thanks man. I sold it though. But I had my das go up the driveway one day, and it sounded just like a 4.6. He didn't get above 1500 rpm's though.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well, a tuner would help, and gears would deffinately help. You'll need the tuner for when u get gears. But are you taking the cats off?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, a tuner would help, and gears would deffinately help. You'll need the tuner for when u get gears. But are you taking the cats off?
No im not taking the cats off, because I heard you actually lose hp doing that. I was going to buy performance cats because I heard that just flows better.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No im not taking the cats off, because I heard you actually lose hp doing that. I was going to buy performance cats because I heard that just flows better.
You don't lose hp? Yeah, if u take cats off then it will sound loud and terrible. I'd do gears and tuner. You won't see hp gains from gears, but better acceleration with 3.73s
Old 03-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You don't lose hp? Yeah, if u take cats off then it will sound loud and terrible. I'd do gears and tuner. You won't see hp gains from gears, but better acceleration with 3.73s
Yeah I dont want it to sound horrible lol. Im quite satisfied with the way it sounds now, some already ask if I have a v8, I just figured headers would make it a little deeper, and performance cats would open a little. I wanted a cam until i seen how much labor would be lol. Since we're on the subject, how do you guys feel about tlok vs rear end?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Tlok in a 7.5 vs a 8.8?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033

A Borla catback is special. Do you not like it? If not, I'm positive that a few tweaks of the exhaust components and it will be the envy of most V6 owners.
I love it. I get compliments all the time. I got it for 200 too. Lol. I have a friend that's a mechanic. It's like an 800 $ system online
Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang

Or he could just take 2 of the 4 off and make it louder without suffering too much sound quality.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy

Or he could just take 2 of the 4 off and make it louder without suffering too much sound quality.
It sounds terrible without cats
Old 03-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It sounds terrible without cats
Not just 2 of them. My friend that has Owned mustangs all his life said it sounds good with 2 off. He's a total car fanatic. Builds them all the time and works for ford
Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy

Not just 2 of them. My friend that has Owned mustangs all his life said it sounds good with 2 off. He's a total car fanatic. Builds them all the time and works for ford
Personal opinion.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Personal opinion.
Agreed.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tlok in a 7.5 vs a 8.8?
yah, tlok in a 7.5 vs 8.8. how does that compare?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Just get a 8.8. It's better.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Ive noticed the price is pretty much the same for a tlok and an 8.8 rear end also
Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by explicitrock View Post
Ive noticed the price is pretty much the same for a tlok and an 8.8 rear end also
Really when you break it down you're not spending that much more to get the 8.8".

For a while CJ Pony Parts was offering an 8.8" rear with 3.73's for around $600 plus freight shipping.

You'd pay pretty close to that by the time you buy a tlok, taller gears and have them installed in your 7.5".

I don't believe CJ has that offer anymore but you could always find a used 8.8" and rebuild it...a rebuild kit and a new set of gears is ~$250. You can install the rear yourself...it basically bolts right up in place of the 7.5".

Only thing you'd need are the quad shocks...the v6's don't have the chassis brackets but they do have the threaded holes, so you can easily throw them in.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Really when you break it down you're not spending that much more to get the 8.8".

For a while CJ Pony Parts was offering an 8.8" rear with 3.73's for around $600 plus freight shipping.

You'd pay pretty close to that by the time you buy a tlok, taller gears and have them installed in your 7.5".

I don't believe CJ has that offer anymore but you could always find a used 8.8" and rebuild it...a rebuild kit and a new set of gears is ~$250. You can install the rear yourself...it basically bolts right up in place of the 7.5".

Only thing you'd need are the quad shocks...the v6's don't have the chassis brackets but they do have the threaded holes, so you can easily throw them in.
Wow I never knew the whole quad shocks thing. Thanks for that Sonic. I think im just going to craigslist it up til I get lucky

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang