Putting a turbo in my v6 new edge - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Putting a turbo in my v6 new edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang View Post
What are you talking about?
He's talking about the larger rearend that will more than likely be needed since the stock 7.5" is weak and the spider gears will probably fail after some time with the added pressure from increased the torque load.

Engine components aren't the only thing you need to upgrade to match output. Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, all these components need to be upgraded to handle the extra power being made. You can make the engine bulletproof, but if the car won't hook up or get the power to the ground because the stock suspension/stiffening/bracing is inferior, then you're defeating the purpose...and don't forget, you can be fast, but you need to brake faster

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

He's talking about the larger rearend that will more than likely be needed since the stock 7.5" is weak and the spider gears will probably fail after some time with the added pressure from increased the torque load.

Engine components aren't the only thing you need to upgrade to match output. Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, all these components need to be upgraded to handle the extra power being made. You can make the engine bulletproof, but if the car won't hook up or get the power to the ground because the stock suspension/stiffening/bracing is inferior, then you're defeating the purpose...and don't forget, if you make your car fast, you need to make your braking system faster
I know what it is. But he came out of no where and said it.
Qwik Four Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

A single turbo creates enough boost enough to smoke a supercharger.

PETOM.biz TTT
Yes but a supercharger depending on type reacts quicker and takes much less time to spool but the turbo at max rpms will smoke a supercharger. Turbo chargers require more piping and wires and modds than a supercharger.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang

I know. But twin turbos push out a good amount of power
And are a ***** to install. I was talking about twinturbo only. Not single against supercharger but twin vs supercharger
Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know what it is. But he came out of no where and said it.
Well, the OP's original question asked what other supporting items might be needed for a turbo...he answered the question short and sweet: 8.8" rearend...just seemed out of nowhere because it broke up all the trivial chatter regarding whether a turbo or supercharger is better.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 03-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well, the OP's original question asked what other supporting items might be needed for a turbo...he answered the question short and sweet: 8.8" rearend...just seemed out of nowhere because it broke up all the trivial chatter regarding whether a turbo or supercharger is better.
Yeah. I know. It'd be better to get an 8.8 anyway rather than leave the 7.5 rear end and end up on the side of the road one day or something.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ya you need stronger internals or your only gonna get the most out of it. If your gonna cough up thousands of dollars you might as well do it right. A turbo and forged guts will get you beyond 400 hp

PETOM.biz TTT
But with a correct tune it can be done safely.... I have mine turboed and I'm at 373hp at the wheels on my 08 v6... Not everyone has the money to do all at once so y not get the turbo and necessities first then once u crave more hp ( which doesn't take long ha) upgrade internals and retune.... You can get huge gains on the stock block while keeping it safe.... Then again I don't know a ton of the 3.8's but I've been fine
Mustangguy0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack
8.8 rearend
Yes and no.... Once you pass 400hp is about when you should worry about that... Until then you should be fine with your 7.5
Old 03-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy

And are a ***** to install. I was talking about twinturbo only. Not single against supercharger but twin vs supercharger
Joshy please stop your giving me a headache lol
Old 03-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangguy0202

Joshy please stop your giving me a headache lol
Whatever. I'm done.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #46
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy

Yes but a supercharger depending on type reacts quicker and takes much less time to spool but the turbo at max rpms will smoke a supercharger. Turbo chargers require more piping and wires and modds than a supercharger.
Ummmmmmmmmmm no bud. Your info is incorrect. A larger turbo will get into boost just as fast as a supercharger. That is an increasibly vague comment and incorrect. And which supercharger are you talking about. A twin screw will hit full boost pretty quick whereas a centi will take a bit longer. Your still way to green to be giving advice

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #47
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ha....yip.

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #48
Road Trip!

Quote:

But with a correct tune it can be done safely.... I have mine turboed and I'm at 373hp at the wheels on my 08 v6... Not everyone has the money to do all at once so y not get the turbo and necessities first then once u crave more hp ( which doesn't take long ha) upgrade internals and retune.... You can get huge gains on the stock block while keeping it safe.... Then again I don't know a ton of the 3.8's but I've been fine
Dude....you are on borrowed time with that much power on stock guts

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #49
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes and no.... Once you pass 400hp is about when you should worry about that... Until then you should be fine with your 7.5
Right....let's put 400 hp on a 1 wheel spinner. Retarded idea.

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

If it were me I would do the rear, suspension, brakes and supporting mods first, then boost it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #51
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
If it were me I would do the rear, suspension, brakes and supporting mods first, then boost it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
Op....this is the best advice in this whole thread. 400 hp is useless if you cannot keep it on the ground

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ummmmmmmmmmm no bud. Your info is incorrect. A larger turbo will get into boost just as fast as a supercharger. That is an increasibly vague comment and incorrect. And which supercharger are you talking about. A twin screw will hit full boost pretty quick whereas a centi will take a bit longer. Your still way to green to be giving advice

PETOM.biz TTT
I'm talking about a twin turbo that hooks into exhaust against just about any type of supercharger. I'm just telling you what I learned when I did my research which I did a lot of. It wasn't wiki answers either
Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Right....let's put 400 hp on a 1 wheel spinner. Retarded idea.

PETOM.biz TTT
It's called a t-lok works great
Old 03-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
What are you talking about?
lol

how did i say it out of nowhere?
1st post says.. what upgrades do i need before a turbo
boom
..but now i see sonic cleared that up. so. no boom

and yes i know mustangguy, 7.5 would hold up fine but it never hurts. esp if u get one cheap from a junkyard

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol
If you want any real information message me... I've got an sts rear mount turbo on my 08 v6 that I installed myself and had it tuned... I can tell you all the mods I did before and now what's next on my list now that it's on there and I'm wanting more... I'm done talking about it here... It's hard when u have people thinking they know everything even when they have no turbo experience.... Which was what was asked for in the first place
Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol

boom

and yes i know mustangguy, 7.5 would hold up fine but it never hurts. esp if u get one cheap from a junkyard
Correct... If u find a good deal great but don't let that hold u up from the turbo when you won't be needing it right away
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #57

Region: Texas
Or... You could go with a dry nos system
386534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 386534
Or... You could go with a dry nos system
Wet is safer.... Especially in a 6 on stock internals....
Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol

boom

Yeah. It was out of no where, I thought you had already posted in that forum.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you want any real information message me... I've got an sts rear mount turbo on my 08 v6 that I installed myself and had it tuned... I can tell you all the mods I did before and now what's next on my list now that it's on there and I'm wanting more... I'm done talking about it here... It's hard when u have people thinking they know everything even when they have no turbo experience.... Which was what was asked for in the first place
Who has no experience?
Old 03-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang

Who has no experience?
I dont. I'll admit but I have don't a lot of research.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

no way it was out of nowhere. i was the person on topic. not trying to argue over turbo/supercharger

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
no way it was out of nowhere. i was the person on topic. not trying to argue over turbo/supercharger
It was out of nowhere for me. I clearly just stated that I thought you had already posted before that post, but you didn't.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry. I was just giving him something to think about as an alternative. Just to get the best bang for his buck
Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangguy0202 View Post
I would like to know if you are addressing that statement towards every person who has posted in this thread.

You don't know what turbo experience people may or may not have. Just because someone doesn't have a turbo currently on their mustang doesn't mean they haven't in the past, or worked with turbos on mustangs in the past or on cars that require more knowledge/experience than a 4.0L v6 mustang with a rear mount.

The truth is you don't know. Investing in either a tlok or better yet an 8.8" rearend just makes sense...not just for the longevity of your drivetrain, but for getting the power to the ground. You most certainly can run a turbo with an open differential, but I guarantee performance will suffer with it. You can also run boost with a 7.5" rear with a tlok, but size of the differential is the issue. The spider gears inside the 7.5" tend to fail under excess amounts of pressure and when you decide more boost is needed (which is a must when you go FI), that 7.5" may be on borrowed time depending on condition.

So I wouldn't be so inclined to judge others who you know so little about...they may be more experienced than you...

Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would like to know if you are addressing that statement towards every person who has posted in this thread.

You don't know what turbo experience people may or may not have. Just because someone doesn't have a turbo currently on their mustang doesn't mean they haven't in the past, or worked with turbos on mustangs in the past or on cars that require more knowledge/experience than a 4.0L v6 mustang with a rear mount.

The truth is you don't know. Investing in either a tlok or better yet an 8.8" rearend just makes sense...not just for the longevity of your drivetrain, but for getting the power to the ground. You most certainly can run a turbo with an open differential, but I guarantee performance will suffer with it. You can also run boost with a 7.5" rear with a tlok, but size of the differential is the issue. The spider gears inside the 7.5" tend to fail under excess amounts of pressure and when you decide more boost is needed (which is a must when you go FI), that 7.5" may be on borrowed time depending on condition.

So I wouldn't be so inclined to judge others who you know so little about...they may be more experienced than you...
Good point. Get em
Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The last part was nicely said.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It wasn't addressed towards everyone... The amount of bad information in this thread is just overwhelming... And yes 7.5 with gears and t-lok works just fine until your over 400hp at the wheels... Especially on street tires because your tires are going to slip before u snap a rear end... I'm not assuming I'm going off of what has been stated in other threads as well...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
new edge