Exhaust on a 3.8L - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #36
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
I agree, the single chambers really don't work on a v6. Also, the louder you make the sixxer, the worse it sounds.
PLUS 1....you can make them sound good but a sixxer sounds really high pitched snappy with glass packs of resonator

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

Cody brought up a good point. The dumps will make the cabin noise much more noticeable when driving on the highway. If you don't want all the cabin noise but still want the turndown sound/look, have the pipes dumped after the axle. This is a great way to have a clean look with a stock v6 bumper.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I agree, the single chambers really don't work on a v6. Also, the louder you make the sixxer, the worse it sounds.
Not a fan of my exhaust huh? Funny. Its OK. I like it. Full chambered are great for most all V6's.
Modding the exhaust was one of the funnest things I've done.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #39

Region: Colorado

I have a 2002 v6 mustang with a CAI and Pypes Street-Pro Dual Exhaust, and it sounds great! everyone asks me if its a GT because of the look and the sound! Here is the link to it...
Pypes Street-Pro Dual Exhaust Catback (98-04 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

I think its the perfect exhaust for the price, and i put it on with a buddy of mine in about 4 hours and i have never done something like that to a car before so it could be quicker than that! but i love the sound of this exhaust, it even has a sound clip for you to hear the difference. So to answer your question i recommend Pypes because of the nice deep low rumble it gives your V6 and its affordable!!

2002 v6 Mustang, American Muscle CAI, Pypes True Duel Exhaust with X-Pipe, Sequential Tail lights, side car decals! More coming soon! :-)

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice"
Craser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
many people mess up the exhaust on their v6... it wont ever sound amazing,it cant be loud and sound good... you cant have both

mostly what works is a full chambered muffler (no small little one chamber flow through mufflers) and keep the pipe at 2.25 inches, cut off the stock Y pipe.
I agree. When I mentioned Cherry Bomb, I was referring again to him in regards to their "Pro" muffler which is chambered and very similar to Flowmasters 40 or 44 Series. They're not loud really at all but do sound amazing.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Right now dishing out 500 for an exhaust is out of the question. As much as I would love to do that. I'll probably straight pipe it for not and then put a better exhaust on it.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Right now dishing out 500 for an exhaust is out of the question. As much as I would love to do that. I'll probably straight pipe it for not and then put a better exhaust on it.
I got my set up for 200 including install. Try eBay or craigslist. I got mine new because I knew someone but I've seen them go for hat on there. U could prob get everything past cats for 200
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

That isn't that bad of a price. New cats are insanely out priced.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

mandrelexhaustsystems.com sells catted X pipe by Magnaflow for $295.00
That with a pair of mufflers will get you pretty close to being ready.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

I will check them out and see what they have. What is better an X pipe or an H pipe??
Old 03-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will check them out and see what they have. What is better an X pipe or an H pipe??
I would go with X. But I wouldn't mind having H either. Lol. Whichever you like more or get for the best price I would say. If your doing long tubes go with X
Old 03-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

That is what I was thinking. I think they have a better sound and flow to them.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
As far as the catted pipes go they are always more expensive than an offroad h or x. I have an offroad h pipe on my six which was 170 with shipping. If you do delete the cats, yes it's illegal but AmericanMuscle sells adapters to trick your computer into passing emmisions. 500 for an exhaust isn't a bad price at all for an exhaust, I paid 170 for my h pipe, 180 for resonators and 100 for labor. Just look around and see what shops offer in your area.
Cody156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

dynamax make sure it is an offset muffler and add a turndown exhaust tip that will be a deep aggressive tone ,like right now im in the same position as you looking for a deeper aggressive tone without being a ricing buttwipe btw just go with what ever sounds good to yours ears also ,,check out ebay to for good prices
Pascullon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
I agree. When I mentioned Cherry Bomb, I was referring again to him in regards to their "Pro" muffler which is chambered and very similar to Flowmasters 40 or 44 Series. They're not loud really at all but do sound amazing.
Didn't know they offered a chambered muffler...good to know

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Didn't know they offered a chambered muffler...good to know
Yeah, Cherry Bomb has new owners, new facilities, new products. Two different chambered mufflers- The "Pro" & the "Extreme", their top tier muffler is the "Vortex" and then they have one called a "Turbo" muffler.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #52
Road Trip!

Quote:
That is what I was thinking. I think they have a better sound and flow to them.
K....no...the flow differences between the 2 are negligible. An x pipe will get you at the most 5 extra hp at 5500 rpm but will cost you at least that much in bottom end torque. You could bolt on an x pipe cat back then an h-pipe cat back and you would not notice a difference while driving. A dyno could record it but the butt dyno won't. Forget buying a system based on it's flow characteristics especially with a sixxer. Buy it based on your own personal sound preference. But be advised,a sixxer is already snappy,an x-pipe will make it much worse. An h-pipe will lessen the high pitched snappiness and give it a deeper tone. the x-pipe has much less of a muscle car rumble. The h-pipe makes it sound deep and rumbly. And joshy. Speak from experience please

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 04-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #53
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy

I would go with X. But I wouldn't mind having H either. Lol. Whichever you like more or get for the best price I would say. If your doing long tubes go with X
Omg no...unless you want a really high pitched snap to your exhaust. If your going to put on long tubes go with a Mac prochamber. It will help give you a muscle car rumble. And as far as flow goes your sixxer isn't maxing out what you got already unless your f/I then your exhaust would be restrictive but honestly a 2 1/2 exhaust from long tubes with an h-pipe would sound great on your car. An x-pipe would be a mistake. It will drive you nuts after a while. A sixxer needs to concentrate on making a deeper more bass like sound. Jmo

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 04-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Alright well I will take this advice and not buy an x pipe. I am still looking around for good prices. I would go with borla but it is way to expensive right now. I thought about deleteing the cats but have no idea how to go about that.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What sounds good on a y pipe? I'm thinking flowmaster. I can't afford a dual exhaust
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Flow masters are ok. I don't care for them once I heard what they sound like on a V6. Go onto youtube and listen to what flowmasters sound like. It is your opoion and that is what matters.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

K....no...the flow differences between the 2 are negligible. An x pipe will get you at the most 5 extra hp at 5500 rpm but will cost you at least that much in bottom end torque. You could bolt on an x pipe cat back then an h-pipe cat back and you would not notice a difference while driving. A dyno could record it but the butt dyno won't. Forget buying a system based on it's flow characteristics especially with a sixxer. Buy it based on your own personal sound preference. But be advised,a sixxer is already snappy,an x-pipe will make it much worse. An h-pipe will lessen the high pitched snappiness and give it a deeper tone. the x-pipe has much less of a muscle car rumble. The h-pipe makes it sound deep and rumbly. And joshy. Speak from experience please

PETOM.biz TTT
I am bro. I said to me it would t matter. I have H but if your doing longtubes they are a ***** to install unless you have an X. So that's my reasoning. I do have experience wih exhaust. I've helped install 3 systems. and installed 1 on my own. X & H
Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Just telling him with I though. Exhaust is a personal preference so I gave mine. Some prefer x over h and the other way around. It depends. I never said one is better than the other either.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

PETOM.biz TTT
I do agree however. X is more mellow and less robust than H
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

I am looking for the deeper tone on my 6. I don't know that much about exhaust. I've messed around and I helped install a banks exhaust on my buddys stroker. That's about it. I would however like to do that cat delete if possible. Not sure how to by pass the computer though. For the time being though I think I am going to get a muffler and put it on and see what it sounds like.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am looking for the deeper tone on my 6. I don't know that much about exhaust. I've messed around and I helped install a banks exhaust on my buddys stroker. That's about it. I would however like to do that cat delete if possible. Not sure how to by pass the computer though. For the time being though I think I am going to get a muffler and put it on and see what it sounds like.
You can get rid of the cel from it with mil eliminators from AmericanMuscle.com or a tuner
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #62
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Go with the tuner and do yourself the favor. Trust me...
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
Go with the tuner and do yourself the favor. Trust me...
Yah. Agreed.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

All the tuners I have looked at are upwards of 400 or more.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
All the tuners I have looked at are upwards of 400 or more.
Yah. They arnt cheap. U could look for a used one but be Positive it's UNLOCKED. If it's not it's worthless to you
Old 04-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy

Yah. They arnt cheap. U could look for a used one but be Positive it's UNLOCKED. If it's not it's worthless to you
What do u mean unlocked? I'm looking at tuners as well
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
What do u mean unlocked? I'm looking at tuners as well
Quick response to your question so the the main topic doesn't become diverted.

Once a tuner is used on a car it will be "locked" to that car until the original tune is restored on the car and the old tunes are removed.

Buying a used tuner is a gamble...if it really isn't unlocked than you have nothing more than a paperweight...you might be able to send it to the manufacturer to be reset but I'm not 100% sure.

Unless you know the seller (very well), and can phyiscally see that the tuner has been unlocked, I would stick to purchasing a new one...this way you can have custom tunes made for your car and have peace of mind knowing it's yours.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

My Flowmasters sound really nice in combination with the new gears. I really think that chambered is the way to go. Cherry Bomb "Vortex" + "Pro" + "Extreme" mufflers on our V6 engine is on youtube and I really like them.
I wouldn't steer you wrong. Check them out again.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds nice. I like it. My goal is though a little deeper than that.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

Quick response to your question so the the main topic doesn't become diverted.

Once a tuner is used on a car it will be "locked" to that car until the original tune is restored on the car and the old tunes are removed.

Buying a used tuner is a gamble...if it really isn't unlocked than you have nothing more than a paperweight...you might be able to send it to the manufacturer to be reset but I'm not 100% sure.

Unless you know the seller (very well), and can phyiscally see that the tuner has been unlocked, I would stick to purchasing a new one...this way you can have custom tunes made for your car and have peace of mind knowing it's yours.
thanks a bunch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust