Exhaust on a 3.8L - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Exhaust on a 3.8L

I want a good sound even though I have a 6 cylinder. I love my car but it is just way to queit. I have played on youtube and looked a exhausts and how they sound. I just don't care for most. It's either to ricer or just don't sound good. Does anybody know of a good exhaust to put on a 95 3.8L??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

Exhaust is really a personal preference. Some people like Flowmaster more than Magnaflow, and some like Borla over everything else, the list goes on...

I would recommend sticking with a chambered style muffler.
Brands that offer chambered style are Flowmaster, Borla, Pypes, I'm sure there's a few others.

The straight thru design - Magnaflow, Cherry Bomb - usually tend to make the v6's sound extremely high pitched.

The quality and sound really depends on what you're willing to/can spend.

Any idea of what you'd like to do?

Just mufflers, catback, headers and midpipe?

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would love a cat back but I don't have the money to do that. What my other thought was. Is to make an exhaust and cherry bomb it. I would like it to have a deep sound to it. Not sure if it is possbile with a V6 but that is my goal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

i have a true dual catback exhaust with glasspacks and 2.5 inch tips. it sounds great. some parts its high pitched but thats mostly just in first almost redlining it, which you dont do too often. i have a lot of people that come up to me telling me it sounds great and asking if its a GT. then i say V6 and their mouths drop. its a great reaction.
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I keep thinking about making mine stright pipe with glass packs and a good set of mufflers. whatever I decide it will be true duels.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If u have a sixer just buy a muffler. My preference is flowmaster or borla but borla is way to expensive.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
If u have a sixer just buy a muffler. My preference is flowmaster or borla but borla is way to expensive.
Look around. I got my BORLA catback stingers for 200
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I absolutely love BORLA
Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Ya I keep thinking about making mine stright pipe with glass packs and a good set of mufflers. whatever I decide it will be true duels.
The h pipe helps it with the deep tone

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #10
Road Trip!

And forget trying to make it sound like a v8. Just make it sound good. It will never be a v8 so just find a sound you like and go with it

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy
I absolutely love BORLA
Because you have them...
but yeah borla is great.

Read above.
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno4life

Because you have them...
but yeah borla is great.

Read above.
Not entirely, I have them because I think they are the best by far. I do know about exhaust even though u think I'm dumb and whatever I do know a significant amount about certain things such as exhaust. I believe that most people choose BORLA though simply because of the huh quality sound it offers.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:

Not entirely, I have them because I think they are the best by far. I do know about exhaust even though u think I'm dumb and whatever I do know a significant amount about certain things such as exhaust. I believe that most people choose BORLA though simply because of the huh quality sound it offers.
I dont think ur dumb at all. You are just learning. But a month ago before you purchased your exhaust, you didnt know much if anything about exhaust. If i remember correctly you got muffler deletes and then recomended that everyone do that cuz u liked the sound (after a muffler delete it is just loud and obnoxious). Im seriously not trying
to put you down or anything.

Read above.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I dont think ur dumb at all. You are just learning. But a month ago before you purchased your exhaust, you didnt know much if anything about exhaust. If i remember correctly you got muffler deletes and then recomended that everyone do that cuz u liked the sound (after a muffler delete it is just loud and obnoxious). Im seriously not trying
to put you down or anything.

Read above.
Nope. I've had my exhaust since early summer. U have me confused with someone else bro
Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

And plus why would I chop up my BORLA exhaust system. Lol. It's all intact
Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
And plus why would I chop up my BORLA exhaust system. Lol. It's all intact
True dat. sorry for the trouble joshy

Read above.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

True dat. sorry for the trouble joshy

Read above.
It's all good man. No worries. Thanks for the apology.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

It's just the point in getting some money together to get what I need. Cherry bombs and a borla muffler. good combo or bad idea?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's just the point in getting some money together to get what I need. Cherry bombs and a borla muffler. good combo or bad idea?
Not too sure but I bet u could pick up everything past cats BORLA for around 200 on eBay or craigslist. Idk about cherrybombs and BORLA though.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Alright. Thanks man. As much as I don't want to I am probably going to replace the cats or hollow them out.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright. Thanks man. As much as I don't want to I am probably going to replace the cats or hollow them out.
Yep. Some will say it sounds bad. personally like the sound of removed or hollowed cats. I did and it sounds pretty good I think. I can try and post a vid when I get home from school. I get compliments all the time
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I would recommend either leaving the cats, removing 2 of the 4, or replacing the 4 with aftermarket hi flow cats. Yes the car is louder without them, but sometimes louder isn't always better.

Since you're on a tight budget, I'd recommend having a shop run 2 separate pipes from your catted pipes and into 2 mufflers (your choice) cherry bombs are straight thru but won't be horrible with cats, and have them dumped. By that I mean have the shop attach a turndown tip to each exit end of the muffler. This will give you a clean look and more importantly a deeper tone.

This shouldn't be overly expensive, maybe ~$200 after install. Not sure what labor rates are at these days...I'd definitely check to get an idea.

Of course you can always do a single muffler with a dumped tip to save costs...this is a great alteration to get better than stock exhaust sound at little cost.

You do have some decent options without spending a ton of cash on a catback or full exhaust system.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
I would recommend either leaving the cats, removing 2 of the 4, or replacing the 4 with aftermarket hi flow cats. Yes the car is louder without them, but sometimes louder isn't always better.

Since you're on a tight budget, I'd recommend having a shop run 2 separate pipes from your catted pipes and into 2 mufflers (your choice) cherry bombs are straight thru but won't be horrible with cats, and have them dumped. By that I mean have the shop attach a turndown tip to each exit end of the muffler. This will give you a clean look and more importantly a deeper tone.

This shouldn't be overly expensive, maybe ~$200 after install. Not sure what labor rates are at these days...I'd definitely check to get an idea.

Of course you can always do a single muffler with a dumped tip to save costs...this is a great alteration to get better than stock exhaust sound at little cost.

You do have some decent options without spending a ton of cash on a catback or full exhaust system.
Great advice.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Ya it is good advice. I'll probably loose 2 of the cats and just hollow the other two out. JUst put a pipe in and hammer out everything. I keep debating weather I want 2 borla mufflers or 2 cherry bombs
Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya it is good advice. I'll probably loose 2 of the cats and just hollow the other two out. JUst put a pipe in and hammer out everything. I keep debating weather I want 2 borla mufflers or 2 cherry bombs
That's what I did. 2 replaced with pipe and 2 hollowed. I have BORLA mufflers. You won't regret BORLA bro. Nice sound.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Cherry Bomb and Borla videos are on you tube to listen to. Take your time. Have fun with it!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

many people mess up the exhaust on their v6... it wont ever sound amazing,it cant be loud and sound good... you cant have both

mostly what works is a full chambered muffler (no small little one chamber flow through mufflers) and keep the pipe at 2.25 inches, cut off the stock Y pipe.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I agree, the single chambers really don't work on a v6. Also, the louder you make the sixxer, the worse it sounds.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Ya i don't want to make it louder just deeper. Plus I have to replace the exhaust from the why back anyway. For inpsction I had to weld it up at the Y with 6inch bolts and a crap load of washer to hold it all together. That is why I want to just redo my entire exhaust system. I would love to go borla but damn guys they are too expensive for one muffler. I'll probably stick to thrust cherry bombs.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

You'll just have to find what you like. I had to tweak mine a bit after having the shop weld everything in, I took it back to have an H pipe added, and am glad I did. Everyone will tell you their setup is the best, and sounds great, but that is becuase it is what they like, and you may not like the way it sounds (I don't like Borlas on a six, but I know a big fan of em!). Getting deep with a six is possible, but in most cases I have seen they suffer from fart can syndrome up the rpm scale. To me I'd rather it sound better under load that at idle or revving it. They are a bunch of setups that sound good untill you put it in gear and start driving it, and thats when I want mine to sound it's best!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Ya i agree
Old 03-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

If you can live without having tips under the bumper I'd consider dumps...they'll give you that deep sound you're looking for. I've heard both v6's and v8's with dumps and they were deeper at idle and under acceleration.

Those along with longtubes are your best bet at getting a "deeper" tone out of your six. Keep in mind the longtubes are more expensive and trickier to install, but are a good addition to your exhaust setup.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I am confused here. What exactly are dumps?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Pretty much dumps are just turn downs right after your mufflers or your resonators. You can get em tucked up out of sight to make it look like a clean delete all together. I have these on my six and the drone from this is ridiculous for interior resonance and definitely turns heads on fly bys.
Cody156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
If you can live without having tips under the bumper I'd consider dumps...they'll give you that deep sound you're looking for. I've heard both v6's and v8's with dumps and they were deeper at idle and under acceleration.

Those along with longtubes are your best bet at getting a "deeper" tone out of your six. Keep in mind the longtubes are more expensive and trickier to install, but are a good addition to your exhaust setup.
This is the perfect answer for a v6 to sound nice and deep.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust