Exhaust on a 3.8L - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 129
Exhaust on a 3.8L

I want a good sound even though I have a 6 cylinder. I love my car but it is just way to queit. I have played on youtube and looked a exhausts and how they sound. I just don't care for most. It's either to ricer or just don't sound good. Does anybody know of a good exhaust to put on a 95 3.8L??
__________________
_____________
Landis
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

Exhaust is really a personal preference. Some people like Flowmaster more than Magnaflow, and some like Borla over everything else, the list goes on...

I would recommend sticking with a chambered style muffler.
Brands that offer chambered style are Flowmaster, Borla, Pypes, I'm sure there's a few others.

The straight thru design - Magnaflow, Cherry Bomb - usually tend to make the v6's sound extremely high pitched.

The quality and sound really depends on what you're willing to/can spend.

Any idea of what you'd like to do?

Just mufflers, catback, headers and midpipe?
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 129
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

I would love a cat back but I don't have the money to do that. What my other thought was. Is to make an exhaust and cherry bomb it. I would like it to have a deep sound to it. Not sure if it is possbile with a V6 but that is my goal.
__________________
_____________
Landis
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 229
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

i have a true dual catback exhaust with glasspacks and 2.5 inch tips. it sounds great. some parts its high pitched but thats mostly just in first almost redlining it, which you dont do too often. i have a lot of people that come up to me telling me it sounds great and asking if its a GT. then i say V6 and their mouths drop. its a great reaction.
__________________
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 129
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

Ya I keep thinking about making mine stright pipe with glass packs and a good set of mufflers. whatever I decide it will be true duels.
__________________
_____________
Landis
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
austinknoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Region: California
Posts: 1,147
If u have a sixer just buy a muffler. My preference is flowmaster or borla but borla is way to expensive.
__________________
65 Mustang coupe
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
If u have a sixer just buy a muffler. My preference is flowmaster or borla but borla is way to expensive.
Look around. I got my BORLA catback stingers for 200
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
I absolutely love BORLA
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Ya I keep thinking about making mine stright pipe with glass packs and a good set of mufflers. whatever I decide it will be true duels.
The h pipe helps it with the deep tone

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
And forget trying to make it sound like a v8. Just make it sound good. It will never be a v8 so just find a sound you like and go with it

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy
I absolutely love BORLA
Because you have them...
but yeah borla is great.

Read above.
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by sno4life

Because you have them...
but yeah borla is great.

Read above.
Not entirely, I have them because I think they are the best by far. I do know about exhaust even though u think I'm dumb and whatever I do know a significant amount about certain things such as exhaust. I believe that most people choose BORLA though simply because of the huh quality sound it offers.
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy

Not entirely, I have them because I think they are the best by far. I do know about exhaust even though u think I'm dumb and whatever I do know a significant amount about certain things such as exhaust. I believe that most people choose BORLA though simply because of the huh quality sound it offers.
I dont think ur dumb at all. You are just learning. But a month ago before you purchased your exhaust, you didnt know much if anything about exhaust. If i remember correctly you got muffler deletes and then recomended that everyone do that cuz u liked the sound (after a muffler delete it is just loud and obnoxious). Im seriously not trying
to put you down or anything.

Read above.
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by sno4life

I dont think ur dumb at all. You are just learning. But a month ago before you purchased your exhaust, you didnt know much if anything about exhaust. If i remember correctly you got muffler deletes and then recomended that everyone do that cuz u liked the sound (after a muffler delete it is just loud and obnoxious). Im seriously not trying
to put you down or anything.

Read above.
Nope. I've had my exhaust since early summer. U have me confused with someone else bro
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
And plus why would I chop up my BORLA exhaust system. Lol. It's all intact
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy
And plus why would I chop up my BORLA exhaust system. Lol. It's all intact
True dat. sorry for the trouble joshy

Read above.
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by sno4life

True dat. sorry for the trouble joshy

Read above.
It's all good man. No worries. Thanks for the apology.
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 129
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

It's just the point in getting some money together to get what I need. Cherry bombs and a borla muffler. good combo or bad idea?
__________________
_____________
Landis
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
It's just the point in getting some money together to get what I need. Cherry bombs and a borla muffler. good combo or bad idea?
Not too sure but I bet u could pick up everything past cats BORLA for around 200 on eBay or craigslist. Idk about cherrybombs and BORLA though.
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 129
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

Alright. Thanks man. As much as I don't want to I am probably going to replace the cats or hollow them out.
__________________
_____________
Landis
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Alright. Thanks man. As much as I don't want to I am probably going to replace the cats or hollow them out.
Yep. Some will say it sounds bad. personally like the sound of removed or hollowed cats. I did and it sounds pretty good I think. I can try and post a vid when I get home from school. I get compliments all the time
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

I would recommend either leaving the cats, removing 2 of the 4, or replacing the 4 with aftermarket hi flow cats. Yes the car is louder without them, but sometimes louder isn't always better.

Since you're on a tight budget, I'd recommend having a shop run 2 separate pipes from your catted pipes and into 2 mufflers (your choice) cherry bombs are straight thru but won't be horrible with cats, and have them dumped. By that I mean have the shop attach a turndown tip to each exit end of the muffler. This will give you a clean look and more importantly a deeper tone.

This shouldn't be overly expensive, maybe ~$200 after install. Not sure what labor rates are at these days...I'd definitely check to get an idea.

Of course you can always do a single muffler with a dumped tip to save costs...this is a great alteration to get better than stock exhaust sound at little cost.

You do have some decent options without spending a ton of cash on a catback or full exhaust system.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
I would recommend either leaving the cats, removing 2 of the 4, or replacing the 4 with aftermarket hi flow cats. Yes the car is louder without them, but sometimes louder isn't always better.

Since you're on a tight budget, I'd recommend having a shop run 2 separate pipes from your catted pipes and into 2 mufflers (your choice) cherry bombs are straight thru but won't be horrible with cats, and have them dumped. By that I mean have the shop attach a turndown tip to each exit end of the muffler. This will give you a clean look and more importantly a deeper tone.

This shouldn't be overly expensive, maybe ~$200 after install. Not sure what labor rates are at these days...I'd definitely check to get an idea.

Of course you can always do a single muffler with a dumped tip to save costs...this is a great alteration to get better than stock exhaust sound at little cost.

You do have some decent options without spending a ton of cash on a catback or full exhaust system.
Great advice.
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 129
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

Ya it is good advice. I'll probably loose 2 of the cats and just hollow the other two out. JUst put a pipe in and hammer out everything. I keep debating weather I want 2 borla mufflers or 2 cherry bombs
__________________
_____________
Landis
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Ya it is good advice. I'll probably loose 2 of the cats and just hollow the other two out. JUst put a pipe in and hammer out everything. I keep debating weather I want 2 borla mufflers or 2 cherry bombs
That's what I did. 2 replaced with pipe and 2 hollowed. I have BORLA mufflers. You won't regret BORLA bro. Nice sound.
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
robb15033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 2,109
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

Cherry Bomb and Borla videos are on you tube to listen to. Take your time. Have fun with it!
__________________
'97 3.8L V6
Pacific Green
1996 SVT Cobra White
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

many people mess up the exhaust on their v6... it wont ever sound amazing,it cant be loud and sound good... you cant have both

mostly what works is a full chambered muffler (no small little one chamber flow through mufflers) and keep the pipe at 2.25 inches, cut off the stock Y pipe.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

I agree, the single chambers really don't work on a v6. Also, the louder you make the sixxer, the worse it sounds.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 129
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

Ya i don't want to make it louder just deeper. Plus I have to replace the exhaust from the why back anyway. For inpsction I had to weld it up at the Y with 6inch bolts and a crap load of washer to hold it all together. That is why I want to just redo my entire exhaust system. I would love to go borla but damn guys they are too expensive for one muffler. I'll probably stick to thrust cherry bombs.
__________________
_____________
Landis
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

You'll just have to find what you like. I had to tweak mine a bit after having the shop weld everything in, I took it back to have an H pipe added, and am glad I did. Everyone will tell you their setup is the best, and sounds great, but that is becuase it is what they like, and you may not like the way it sounds (I don't like Borlas on a six, but I know a big fan of em!). Getting deep with a six is possible, but in most cases I have seen they suffer from fart can syndrome up the rpm scale. To me I'd rather it sound better under load that at idle or revving it. They are a bunch of setups that sound good untill you put it in gear and start driving it, and thats when I want mine to sound it's best!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 129
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

Ya i agree
__________________
_____________
Landis
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

If you can live without having tips under the bumper I'd consider dumps...they'll give you that deep sound you're looking for. I've heard both v6's and v8's with dumps and they were deeper at idle and under acceleration.

Those along with longtubes are your best bet at getting a "deeper" tone out of your six. Keep in mind the longtubes are more expensive and trickier to install, but are a good addition to your exhaust setup.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 129
Re: Exhaust on a 3.8L

I am confused here. What exactly are dumps?
__________________
_____________
Landis
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 76
Pretty much dumps are just turn downs right after your mufflers or your resonators. You can get em tucked up out of sight to make it look like a clean delete all together. I have these on my six and the drone from this is ridiculous for interior resonance and definitely turns heads on fly bys.
Cody156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Brett Greene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
If you can live without having tips under the bumper I'd consider dumps...they'll give you that deep sound you're looking for. I've heard both v6's and v8's with dumps and they were deeper at idle and under acceleration.

Those along with longtubes are your best bet at getting a "deeper" tone out of your six. Keep in mind the longtubes are more expensive and trickier to install, but are a good addition to your exhaust setup.
This is the perfect answer for a v6 to sound nice and deep.
__________________
Brett the best Greene
Brett Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exhaust Help???? Gt.Vert 1996-2004 Mustang GT 6 07-27-2009 02:37 PM
Exhaust Help! 2007STANG Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 07-22-2009 12:58 AM
exhaust help powerhungry966 1979-1995 Mustang GT 5 09-16-2006 12:58 AM
exhaust 1997grnstang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 1 06-30-2004 05:03 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:27 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.