Finally got my Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #1

Region: Minnesota
Finally got my Mustang

Remember about a week ago when I asked about the Mustang for $1000? I finally got it today. I'm pretty happy about that. It has two things in particular that I want to get taken care of, but not sure what exactly they are. On the plus side, the check engine light that was on is not anymore. Gas cap issue I'm guessing? It's off so that's what matters.
First, the brake light is on. Why? It seems to stop just fine. I did notice when I drove it earlier it would go off some, but then driving home from work tonight it stayed on the whole time. The only difference I can come up with is that it was colder coming home. Not sure why that would matter. So what makes a brake light come on in a Mustang?
Second, I stopped to put gas in this afternoon, and noticed that from somewhere underneath I was dripping a little gas while pumping. I would guess it's the filler neck, but does anyone know or had this problem? How much would one of those cost, and where do you get one?
Other than that, most all is well. There's a few little things here and there, but those will get fixed in time.
Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it.
Oh yeah, it's a 2000 in case I didn't cover that.

Vince
SuperKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: Finally got my Mustang

Congrats man! Post some pics!

The brake light issue could be that the reservoir is low on fluid. Sometimes when it is and it sloshes around a bit, it will make the light flicker. Hope this helps.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Remember about a week ago when I asked about the Mustang for $1000? I finally got it today. I'm pretty happy about that. It has two things in particular that I want to get taken care of, but not sure what exactly they are. On the plus side, the check engine light that was on is not anymore. Gas cap issue I'm guessing? It's off so that's what matters.
First, the brake light is on. Why? It seems to stop just fine. I did notice when I drove it earlier it would go off some, but then driving home from work tonight it stayed on the whole time. The only difference I can come up with is that it was colder coming home. Not sure why that would matter. So what makes a brake light come on in a Mustang?
Second, I stopped to put gas in this afternoon, and noticed that from somewhere underneath I was dripping a little gas while pumping. I would guess it's the filler neck, but does anyone know or had this problem? How much would one of those cost, and where do you get one?
Other than that, most all is well. There's a few little things here and there, but those will get fixed in time.
Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it.
Oh yeah, it's a 2000 in case I didn't cover that.

Vince
I am having the same fuel neck problem. I hope someone can help us with a solution. Subscribed. AND 1000 DOLLARS FOR A 2000........DAMN DUDE NICE FIND

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to JB3nd3r

Congrats man
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Congrats! Give it a nice bath and take pics for us

Read above.
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Sweet man. Gongrats
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana

congrats!

i've had some fuel leak from my 04 V6 but only when i "top-it-off" which i've stopped doing. i believe there is an overflow of some sort.

as for the brake issue, my light came on for a while as well. got it serviced with oil change, etc and they filled my brake fluid reservoir and the light was gone. so as mentioned before, check your fluid level.

hope this helps!
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #8

Thanks guys. I'll try to get it cleaned up sson and get some pictures of it.
It would be pretty awesome if all it was is the fluid. As for the fuel leak, I was looking around on the internet and it sounds like it could maybe be the rubber seal around the filler tube at the tank. But to me it doesn't seem like it would only leak when filling it up. I guess who knows, maybe it leaks the whole time I'm driving it down the road. The guys that have had problems, have you crawled underneath to see if you can see anything?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

get some pics
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
get some pics
Put em up
Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

Congrats..Can't wait to see some of those pics!
mustangchassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Congrats!!

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It's definitely the rubber seal or "filler neck gasket". This gasket is on the tank, but connects the filler neck to the gas tank. It will not leak fuel when 1/2 tank or less is in, but who wants to do that. The part itself is like $15 from Ford, but I would recommend having someone with a lift install it. It's not that hard IF YOU HAVE A LIFT. If you don't its darn near impossible because 95% of the time the tank has to be dropped because the neck goes about 12 inches into the tank. My mustang guy did it for me for I think $150-175 plus tax, but its well worth it, unless you know someone with a lift. Otherwise its an easy install, just make sure you don't have that much fuel in the car when you do it....less than 1/8 would be my suggestion. Ohh and also you can find the how to if you google it, but just need the right words I'm guessing.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #14

Well, on the plus side, I got some brake fluid and filled 'er up. Took care of that light. But it sounds like the front passenger brake is rubbing pretty bad so some new pads and maybe having the rotors turned is in order.
As for the fuel dripping, I crawled under and looked real quick, and it looks like the fuel filler neck is in pretty bad shape. I suspect I'll probably get to change that. Not such a big deal, but the cheapest I can find it is $150. I'm not real excited about that part. Anyone know a cheaper place to get one?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack
Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull
It's definitely the rubber seal or "filler neck gasket". This gasket is on the tank, but connects the filler neck to the gas tank. It will not leak fuel when 1/2 tank or less is in, but who wants to do that. The part itself is like $15 from Ford, but I would recommend having someone with a lift install it. It's not that hard IF YOU HAVE A LIFT. If you don't its darn near impossible because 95% of the time the tank has to be dropped because the neck goes about 12 inches into the tank. My mustang guy did it for me for I think $150-175 plus tax, but its well worth it, unless you know someone with a lift. Otherwise its an easy install, just make sure you don't have that much fuel in the car when you do it....less than 1/8 would be my suggestion. Ohh and also you can find the how to if you google it, but just need the right words I'm guessing.
First congrats and welcome on the second no the filler gasket is a common flaw. It Is an easy fix.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #16

I looked around at the filler gasket. Doesn't look fun but looks like something I could do in an afternoon. I guess maybe I'll change that and see if it stops leaking. Better to spend $20 then $150 to start.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Where are those pics man?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #18

They're waiting until I get her cleaned and worked on. Brakes probably tomorrow. Have to order a filler tube but don't know when that'll be here. It's supposed to be rainy and miserable the next few days so who knows. I'll get em up here soon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang