2002 3.8 Convertible - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
2002 3.8 Convertible

I just got my dads old Mustang after he passed away recently.
Crummy way to get it, but think he would be happy my son and I are going to have some fun working on it and driving it!

My birthday is this weekend and I think my wife and son ordered from AM a CAI and Flowmaster 44 muffler for our first upgrades.

My question is, what do you all think about only adding the muffler to the single exhaust, as opposed to doing a dual exhaust? I know that if I go to dual later I will have to tear it all out and start over, but budget wise I was thinking gears and tuner might be good place to go after this before worrying about dual exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00957-20110326-1421.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	916.1 KB
ID:	25457  
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Welcome! Sorry to hear how you became a Mustang owner

I would do true duals for more airflow and aggressive sound before you put on gears and all of that. That's my opinion. Duals are a great first mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: 2002 3.8 Convertible

using a single or dual both ways work, I would recommend running dual exhaust.

Its also a good idea to remove the Y pipe area and weld on an adapter so you can bolt up a normal V8 catback. That way you can remove it for working on it. There are many kits non really add tons of hp, its mostly about sound. i would HIGHLY recommend no matter what you do you end up with two exhaust tips out back... a mustang with one exhaust tip is just out of place.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
using a single or dual both ways work, I would recommend running dual exhaust.

Its also a good idea to remove the Y pipe area and weld on an adapter so you can bolt up a normal V8 catback. That way you can remove it for working on it. There are many kits non really add tons of hp, its mostly about sound. i would HIGHLY recommend no matter what you do you end up with two exhaust tips out back... a mustang with one exhaust tip is just out of place.
+1 definitely need two tips

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

so then, should I buy a second flowmaster 44, and then have muffler shop build out the rest of it for me? I found a guy locally who has private shop, is reasonable on costs and also is a mustang owner himself. He told me he would install one for me at around 60-70 bucks.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

when I had my 01 done what I had them do was cut off the Y pipe after the resonators before it went into one single pipe. I then had them weld on 2.25 inch stainless pipe back to the stock muffler position on each side. After the mufflers it looped up and over the axle just like the GT and out to the tips.

You can do the same, cost me (with flowmasters) 300 bucks back in 2001 (probably 350-400 today).

The second thing is to buy a GT take off catback (cheap 100 bucks~) then have them fab it up to fit the stock Y pipe. Finally you can have the stock mufflers replaced with your flowmasters. Cost for install should be 150 or so labor and the little pipe thats needed

You can buy a dual exhaust adapter that basically welds in where you cut the Y pipe and allows a GT catback to just bolt right up~ probably the best way to go. No idea on prices of adapters. If you weld it all on and needs the trans out you will have to cut the exhaust off...

You will also need exhaust hangers as you dont have them, you can yank them at a junk yard cheap im sure. dont just let them weld crappy things to random stuff.

Stock GT tail pipes have to have their hangers modified to be lower due to you have no exhaust cut outs.

as far as tips if at all possible (if you do a stock catback you wont be able to) use stainless steel tips (no chrome they rust) and angle them up about 5 degrees, it will look better than level with the ground as the angle of the rear bumper makes the tips look pointed down when level with the ground. heck look at the pics in my gallery in my sig for a side shot to see what I mean.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Great advice, think I will hold off on the single and work towards the dual set up.
This weekend we will just stick with bolting on the CAI. Will be my first car mod ever, but looks pretty straightforward!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
First let me start by saying i am sorry for your loss.In 2001 the rear plastic didn't have cut-outs,and if your going to do the exhaust the sixxer has a raspy high pitched drone so specs idea of grabbing a used gt take off is a great idea. It will give you a deeper rumble off-setting the initial snappiness of the exhaust. Now as far as mods. I saw you were considering gears and a tuner. That is by far your best performance gain next to nitrous or forced induction. Now your best acceleration improvement will be 4.10 gears but here is your problem,you have a limited slip 7.5 inch rear end which totally sucks. Instead of shopping for gears maybe start looking for an entire axle with the gears already in it. K so how much do you want to do. I am sure every member here will tell you that once you start modding and you feel the fruits of your labour in the seat of your pants you will instantly start shopping for your next mod. I suggest you mod in this order,from experience it is the best route to go and I will tell you why once I finish. K tuner,gears,exhaust,intake then aesthetics.Tuner=because it's wrenchless hp. Gears=best mod for acceleration. Exhaust=because we all love the sound. Intake would consist of a windstar intake manifold and throttle body=to take advantage of your new found exhaust capability. Now if you want a bit more spank to it bolt on a wet nitrous kit 75 hp max because the ecu doesn't need to be tuned for it and once you try it you will wish the bottle never emptied. K well that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Enjoy your new to you car. And welcome to the yard

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #9

Region: Wisconsin
Run duals for sure. I run true dual with dual cats and dual flowmaster 40 series. Sounds great for a 6. Good luck.
crazyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

thanks Everett, really a lot of nice people in this community!
I can definitely see an addiction coming with regard to thinking about whats gonna be the next thing to do! hehe
Mostly I want to make it as responsive as a six can be, and want it to have a little growl to it as well!
Then its on to the wheels and tires! It has reasonably new rubber on it, so that will be the last thing I do, maybe even next spring with Uncle Sam's refund!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #11

I did port and polished heads and intake over the winter. I took her out last weekend and the top end power feels like it doubled. If you can do it yourself buy a set of heads and an intake from the bone yard. Then have at it.
crazyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyV6
I did port and polished heads and intake over the winter. I took her out last weekend and the top end power feels like it doubled. If you can do it yourself buy a set of heads and an intake from the bone yard. Then have at it.
That sounds like cool idea!

work in progress...
2002 v6, Dual Flowmasters, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, AM CAI....
next up lowering, gears...
Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well my son and I bolted on the CAI today for my all time first car modification. Considering I had never done anything like that before it wasn't too bad at all.
Nice feeling of accomplishment and some father son bonding time that is worth even more! Sounds a bit better and maybe a bit more responsive, nothing major, and i didn't think it would be, but nice start!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
First let me start by saying i am sorry for your loss.In 2001 the rear plastic didn't have cut-outs,and if your going to do the exhaust the sixxer has a raspy high pitched drone so specs idea of grabbing a used gt take off is a great idea. It will give you a deeper rumble off-setting the initial snappiness of the exhaust. Now as far as mods. I saw you were considering gears and a tuner. That is by far your best performance gain next to nitrous or forced induction. Now your best acceleration improvement will be 4.10 gears but here is your problem,you have a limited slip 7.5 inch rear end which totally sucks. Instead of shopping for gears maybe start looking for an entire axle with the gears already in it. K so how much do you want to do. I am sure every member here will tell you that once you start modding and you feel the fruits of your labour in the seat of your pants you will instantly start shopping for your next mod. I suggest you mod in this order,from experience it is the best route to go and I will tell you why once I finish. K tuner,gears,exhaust,intake then aesthetics.Tuner=because it's wrenchless hp. Gears=best mod for acceleration. Exhaust=because we all love the sound. Intake would consist of a windstar intake manifold and throttle body=to take advantage of your new found exhaust capability. Now if you want a bit more spank to it bolt on a wet nitrous kit 75 hp max because the ecu doesn't need to be tuned for it and once you try it you will wish the bottle never emptied. K well that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Enjoy your new to you car. And welcome to the yard

PETOM.biz TTT
The 94-10 v6's have a 7.5" rear with an open differential, not limited slip, I wish they did come with limited slip stock like the new 11's, save all of us a couple hundred bucks lol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Welcome.
Congratulations on being able to work on the car with your son. Great feeling. The gears/tuner idea next is a perfect one everyone will agree on. Unfortunately the work will be done in a reputable Mustang shop but when it is done it will give you the most uplifting feeling in comparison to the stock performance. Ohhhh, you'll love it. Hope you guys have a blast with it.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang