Exhaust Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
DrMentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Other
Posts: 30
Question Exhaust Question

Hi

I got a little question for you guys, you see I'm gonna need to replace two cats on my 01 stang it's an A/T, so I've been talking to some guys and they've told me I could use the change to add another exhaust pipe, they say it's better for the overall performance, it's that true? does it help?, besides I want to know if there's going to make a change in the noise, actually I personally like the idea of having it as quiet as possible, I love when people think you are an easy kill since they dont hear your car loud and then when they try to go for it they only embarass themselves , anyway It would help me a lot any input or experience you have on the matter. Thanks!
DrMentalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMentalX
Hi

I got a little question for you guys, you see I'm gonna need to replace two cats on my 01 stang it's an A/T, so I've been talking to some guys and they've told me I could use the change to add another exhaust pipe, they say it's better for the overall performance, it's that true? does it help?, besides I want to know if there's going to make a change in the noise, actually I personally like the idea of having it as quiet as possible, I love when people think you are an easy kill since they dont hear your car loud and then when they try to go for it they only embarass themselves , anyway It would help me a lot any input or experience you have on the matter. Thanks!
I will make it louder I'm assuming depending in the mufflers used in the exhaust. Probably slightly better for performance also.
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Exhaust Question

keep the cats, dont take them off
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
DrMentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Other
Posts: 30
Re: Exhaust Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
keep the cats, dont take them off
That's the plan, the guy who sold the car to me took them off, I'm putting them back on.
DrMentalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigSteve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
keep the cats, dont take them off
Why keep that cats for? I have an true dual exhaust with the cats. I was thinking if taking them out . What would it do for my car I'm guessing make it louder and a little more h/p maybe
BigSteve305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve305

Why keep that cats for? I have an true dual exhaust with the cats. I was thinking if taking them out . What would it do for my car I'm guessing make it louder and a little more h/p maybe
I have mine out and love it
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lone Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Virginia
Posts: 150
Re: Exhaust Question

without cats forget about passing any emmissions anywhere! might sound better on the v8's not so sure about the v6. Dual exhaust will be louder then stock mustang with single exhaust with cats, but not obnoxious unless you choose the ricey sounding mufflers.
__________________

Northern Virginia Mustang Club
Silver Mustang Registry #1045
2010 Brilliant Silver 4.0 V6 Traded and will be missed
2011 Performance White Premium GT 5.0 6MT, 19" Machined Wheels, 3.73 gears, GT500 Axle-Backs, Eibach Pro Springs, Dynojet #'s 387rwhp/380 tq.
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star
without cats forget about passing any emmissions anywhere! might sound better on the v8's not so sure about the v6. Dual exhaust will be louder then stock mustang with single exhaust with cats, but not obnoxious unless you choose the ricey sounding mufflers.
Get mil eliminators or a tuner to fix that though.
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Exhaust Question

you wont really gain anything, you will lose backpressure (low end) and it will sound bad.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
DrMentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Other
Posts: 30
Re: Exhaust Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
you wont really gain anything, you will lose backpressure (low end) and it will sound bad.
so there's really no gain on doing it? noticeble I mean.

Joshy what are mil eliminators?
DrMentalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMentalX

so there's really no gain on doing it? noticeble I mean.

Joshy what are mil eliminators?
mil eliminators shut off your O2 sensors so your check engine light isn't on from not having cats. It makes your exhaust much less restrictive when they are off. I don't want to disagree but a licensed mechanic told me it helps horsepower slightly only like 5 though. Not noticeable.
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigSteve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy

mil eliminators shut off your O2 sensors so your check engine light isn't on from not having cats. It makes your exhaust much less restrictive when they are off. I don't want to disagree but a licensed mechanic told me it helps horsepower slightly only like 5 though. Not noticeable.
Where do u get mil eliminators at? I plan on taking my cars off real soon
BigSteve305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigSteve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 49
I hope taking my cats off will make it sound ****ty . My exhaust sounds real nice I'm doing it for the h/p
BigSteve305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigSteve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve305
I hope taking my cats off will make it sound ****ty . My exhaust sounds real nice I'm doing it for the h/p
I meant to say will not make it sound ****ty
BigSteve305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
You will notice no power gain, even if it nabs you 1-2 horsepower you won't be able to tell anyway
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
If you like the way it sounds now, leave the cats alone
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony
If you like the way it sounds now, leave the cats alone
Agreed.
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #18
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Just to clarify stock cats are very restrictive and there is a gain to be had by removing them. Not saying you should. And as long as it's not a 3 inch straight pipe there will be some backpressure.
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
Just to clarify stock cats are very restrictive and there is a gain to be had by removing them. Not saying you should. And as long as it's not a 3 inch straight pipe there will be some backpressure.
Also agreed. Lol
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
wereKEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 1,863
Re: Exhaust Question

You won't notice any power gain and passing smog is imposible and in most states illeagle.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
Yep, you just can't tell the difference in a couple horsepower, you will need to look elsewhere for noticeable gains, tuner, gears, juice, or pull out all the stops do it all and boost it
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigSteve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
Just to clarify stock cats are very restrictive and there is a gain to be had by removing them. Not saying you should. And as long as it's not a 3 inch straight pipe there will be some backpressure.
As long as it's not a 3 inch straight pipe?? Which pipe is it so I can look under and see and what do u mean there will be back pressure . Also could taking the cats off make it sound better or just louder and ****ty and could it save u a little bit of gas also could the cats get clogged?
BigSteve305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Yes cats can get clogged but you would notice the bad sulfur smell. If it's stock exhaust it's 2 1/4 I think and it would sound great with no cats and decent mufflers. Straight pipes not so good and you aren't going to see any fuel savings with them off
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
Yes cats can get clogged but you would notice the bad sulfur smell. If it's stock exhaust it's 2 1/4 I think and it would sound great with no cats and decent mufflers. Straight pipes not so good and you aren't going to see any fuel savings with them off
Remember we're talkin g V6 here... The 3.8s are an even fire engine so straight pipes are actually just fine. Also, I've never heard a V6 without cats that sounded good to me. Way too raspy. I would not recommend removing them.
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #25
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302

Remember we're talkin g V6 here... The 3.8s are an even fire engine so straight pipes are actually just fine. Also, I've never heard a V6 without cats that sounded good to me. Way too raspy. I would not recommend removing them.
With a decent exhaust without cats sounds fine however I don't recommend it either. All these systems are meant to work together. And straight pipes on a sixxer would be loud and raspy for sure.
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
BigSteve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

With a decent exhaust without cats sounds fine however I don't recommend it either. All these systems are meant to work together. And straight pipes on a sixxer would be loud and raspy for sure.
Ya I don't think I'm going to take them off I do notice that smell so I do think the cats are clogged. How do I know if u have a 3 inch straight pipe . All I know is I have an h pipe with cats I bought the car with the exhaust already in it sounds real nice I get a lot of compliments
BigSteve305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
wereKEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 1,863
Re: Exhaust Question

Removing the cats is not going to improve much of anything.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
robb15033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 2,109
Re: Exhaust Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV View Post
Removing the cats is not going to improve much of anything.
+1
__________________
'97 3.8L V6
Pacific Green
1996 SVT Cobra White
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
exhaust question workmail21 1979-1995 Mustang GT 7 02-22-2011 01:27 PM
Exhaust Question BIGRED3361 2005-2010 Mustang GT 10 02-08-2011 06:40 AM
exhaust question? roach 1996-2004 Mustang GT 3 12-21-2006 01:18 AM
Exhaust Question 04blackout3.9 The Bar 3 06-11-2005 05:14 PM
Exhaust Question Blue GT 5.O Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 3 04-01-2004 11:10 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:27 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.