The SCT tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
The SCT tuner

Street tune- focuses on gas

Performance tune- shifts more aggressive, I'm only using 87 octane but plan to go to 93 starting this Friday. Speeds fast once rpms hit 3000

Race tune- hasn't tried it yet.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: The SCT tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
Street tune- focuses on gas

Performance tune- shifts more aggressive, I'm only using 87 octane but plan to go to 93 starting this Friday. Speeds fast once rpms hit 3000

Race tune- hasn't tried it yet.
Is the performance tune for 87? If so, going to 93 is going to do absolutely nothing for you. Putting different gas in your car isn't going to change the timing in your computer to take advantage of the extra octane.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Race tune FTW,you will never go back.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Is it bad for the car to stay on race tune?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
Is it bad for the car to stay on race tune?
If it's tuned for the level gas you're running then no. I still drive on my race tune. Have been for years. You'll just get worse gas mileage.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Nice, yah just remember if your performance tune is made for 87, keep running 87...a higher octane won't do a thing...now if your race tune is set for 93...

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Race tune FTW,you will never go back.
+1 i tried to switch back once...i tuned it back to the race tune as soon as i got done driving
soccerfreak2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

I really need to get me a tuner...

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

How hard is it to learn to use a tuner? I mean for someone who isn't useless when it comes to cars but anywhere near a mechanic.
DrMentalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Well, if you plan on tuning your own car, it's not something you would want to do.

If you mean for loading a tune into your car that a professional created, it litterally takes only a minute or two and it's so easy a cave man could do it.

You plug the cord into the ODBII port.
Find the menu option that says load tune
Follow the on screen directions
It loads, you're done.

Changing some optional parameters like tire size, gear ratio, traction control, and things like that are a breeze as well. It's also very easy to change more complicated things like fuel and timing as long as they are unlocked (some tuning shops prevent you from using all the features of your tuner so that A: You can't hurt yourself and B: so you have to come back to them and pay update fees for new mods).

But, you won't want to go messing with timing and fuel and things like that until you do a good bit of research on the topic.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

05+ notice more difference as their gas petal input can be modified so they feel like the car has more take off when in reality its just it takes less input to get more gas lol
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I really need to find out what my cars tuner is set at car came already tuned and moded and I have no clue what it's tuned for or what the h.p. or torque is only thing I know is it has 10 psi of boost via a kenne bell boost pump.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV View Post
I really need to find out what my cars tuner is set at car came already tuned and moded and I have no clue what it's tuned for or what the h.p. or torque is only thing I know is it has 10 psi of boost via a kenne bell boost pump.
Did your car come with a hand held tuner or just that it is "tuned"? Or does it have a chip in it? If it is just "tuned" with no chip or hand held tuner in your possession, yo will never know how it is tuned and it will need to be reflashed back to stock by Ford before you can load a tune into the car with your own hand held tuner.

Also, just for future story telling to other people, the boost a pump doesn't create boost. It is for the fuel system only to increase your fuel flow without having to buy new fuel pumps. The 10 psi would come from a KB super charger or any other brand SC. Just wanted to let you know before you told that to someone at a car show and they throw it back in your face or post about you on the interwebs.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Hehehe....kids
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry I am new to this high performance stuff I never could afford it when I was younger thanks for setting me straight this car I bought has so much stuff under the hood I have never seen before so I am still learning about what it has here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00028-20110122-0933.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	25794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00029-20110122-0934.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	578.2 KB
ID:	25795  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00030-20110122-0934.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	572.1 KB
ID:	25796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	25797  

Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

And I wish I were a kid I would'nt feel so stupid I'm 54.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV
And I wish I were a kid I would'nt feel so stupid I'm 54.
No need to feel stupid. Not everyone knows everything.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Does anybody have an opinion on how the set up on my motor looks by my pics I mean does it loook like a good install that is the way it was when I bought it .
Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom

No need to feel stupid. Not everyone knows everything.
Well, that is except for me.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV
Does anybody have an opinion on how the set up on my motor looks by my pics I mean does it loook like a good install that is the way it was when I bought it .
Yes, clean install sure it has a good tune if you haven't had any issues
Old 04-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Well, if you plan on tuning your own car, it's not something you would want to do.

If you mean for loading a tune into your car that a professional created, it litterally takes only a minute or two and it's so easy a cave man could do it.

You plug the cord into the ODBII port.
Find the menu option that says load tune
Follow the on screen directions
It loads, you're done.

Changing some optional parameters like tire size, gear ratio, traction control, and things like that are a breeze as well. It's also very easy to change more complicated things like fuel and timing as long as they are unlocked (some tuning shops prevent you from using all the features of your tuner so that A: You can't hurt yourself and B: so you have to come back to them and pay update fees for new mods).

But, you won't want to go messing with timing and fuel and things like that until you do a good bit of research on the topic.

So in the shop you can tell them what you want and they'll program it to it?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMentalX View Post
So in the shop you can tell them what you want and they'll program it to it?
It works like this.

You tell the tuning shop what mods you have done to your car, what gas you would like to run, and general information about your car.

Then, they will make all the needed modifications in the software and load the tunes into your hand held...or email them to you to load into your tuner if you are using a remote company like Bamachips with American Muscle or many others.

Then, you load the tune into your car....and drive.

It really is that simple.

Where it gets complicated is if you want to set the car up yourself, then you need to know all the areas to modify, how to modify them, and how the changes are going to affect another area of the tune. A professional shop will have the know how to do it and will make it very simple.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
It works like this.

You tell the tuning shop what mods you have done to your car, what gas you would like to run, and general information about your car.

Then, they will make all the needed modifications in the software and load the tunes into your hand held...or email them to you to load into your tuner if you are using a remote company like Bamachips with American Muscle or many others.

Then, you load the tune into your car....and drive.

It really is that simple.

Where it gets complicated is if you want to set the car up yourself, then you need to know all the areas to modify, how to modify them, and how the changes are going to affect another area of the tune. A professional shop will have the know how to do it and will make it very simple.
Got it, sounds good, I'll have to define what mods I want then and start from there, but that was pretty much my doubt with the tuner, Thanks PureVenom!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
No to hijack but do you have to install all your mods before you install a tune?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
No to hijack but do you have to install all your mods before you install a tune?
yES.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend

yES.
Ok. Thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok. Thanks
Welcome.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #28
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
You have to install all your mods that your tune is set up for yes. However, if you have a basic tune for the current state of your car, you can go ahead and install it before the rest of your mods.

Think of it this way. If you are installing bigger fuel injectors, bigger air meter, better flowing intake components....and you get a tune for those changes...you wouldn't want to have your car expecting them to be in place before they are. When the car says give me this much fuel and expects it to be pushed through 39 lb injectors....but you only have 19 lb'ers installed....you're going to break stuff.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom

You have to install all your mods that your tune is set up for yes. However, if you have a basic tune for the current state of your car, you can go ahead and install it before the rest of your mods.

Think of it this way. If you are installing bigger fuel injectors, bigger air meter, better flowing intake components....and you get a tune for those changes...you wouldn't want to have your car expecting them to be in place before they are. When the car says give me this much fuel and expects it to be pushed through 39 lb injectors....but you only have 19 lb'ers installed....you're going to break stuff.
Ok. Thanks. I should have worded question Better, this was a perfect answer
Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV View Post
I believe you're getting 10lbs of boost from that big vortech intercooled centri sitting in your engine bay...damn I wouldn't have minded opening the hood of my mustang before I bought it and seeing that, lol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

When I saw the car on the internet it said nothing about the supercharger spo when the salesman opened the hood I was kind of in shock for a minute then I woke up and told my wife I think I want to teset drive this , five hours later it was in my driveway . Finally at 54 years old I finally have a cool car I guess good things do come to those who wait.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

On the same topic, I believe I'm correct in saying that the difference or advantage in a dyno tune is that the parameters and general files created for your tuner are calculated from real time information regarding your car and the mods you've put on such as CAI and the actual amount of air your moving as apposed to a guesstimate that programmers e-mail to you. It's truly custom made.
Hopefully that made some sense. Anyway it's all good when a V6 gets a tuner.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang