7.5in Differential shimy size???? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
7.5in Differential shimy size????

I have a 2004 3.9L. I broke the stock T-lok. So I bought Ford Racing T-lok, 3.73 gears, all new bushings and seal. The stock T-lok broke 3 teeth and damaged the stock rack & pinion and everything else that the teeth found including the shimy's! Don't ask me how I broke it 'cuz there is now way I have enough horsepower to even come close to breaking 3 teeth, not with my "upgrades".
Anyways here are the Million Dollar Questions... 1 What size are the shims that I need for the Ford Racing T-Lok?

2 Now if it is the same size as the stock one's then what size are the stock one's for that year/size?

3 And last but not least, is the Left one the same size as the Right one 'cuz Ford has a list of hundreds of different sizes for different models and the Ford Tech also said the Left and Right are different sizes?
MistaG84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: 7.5in Differential shimy size????

you can buy a shim kit that will have all you need, the shims are custom depending on how the rear end needs to fit~ which requires tools to check the fitments and adjust as required to meet tolerances.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Even if you have a moderate skill of working on cars, the rear end should really be set up professionally. There are a lot of things that need to be measured and checked so you end up with a proper install. You really can't just throw some new gears in and go, it's more complicated than most people think.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy
Even if you have a moderate skill of working on cars, the rear end should really be set up professionally. There are a lot of things that need to be measured and checked so you end up with a proper install. You really can't just throw some new gears in and go, it's more complicated than most people think.
Absolutely correct. Leave that to a pro or they will whine and imminent failure. People complain about gear whine. Improper install is why. Properly installed gears no matter what brand will not whine. There are lots of places you can cut costs when modding your car,this isn't one of them
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Absolutely correct. Leave that to a pro or they will whine and imminent failure. People complain about gear whine. Improper install is why. Properly installed gears no matter what brand will not whine. There are lots of places you can cut costs when modding your car,this isn't one of them
Let me add.. a pro you can trust. Plenty of shops cannot build a Tlok correctly. I've experienced this first hand and had to do the work correctly the next time around myself. Also, them guys will make any problems right.. adjusting lash and everything.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang