Make it as strong as a V8 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow

Complete misnomer. A properly set up Nitrous system is incredibly reliable and predictable. Probably more so than any other form of "power adder". With the safety measures present in modern, leading kits, the only true draw back to nitrous now is having to fill the bottle.
Not trying to bash here, but if it is always do predictable explain why so many nitrous injected race engines fail and explode/catch fire/etc.
Sure it's relatively safe now, but it's still a contained gas which has a tendency to do whatever it wants when it wants. Look at gas laws in chemistry! It's crazy stuff but dang is it fun.
I refer you to a wildly popular quote circulating in this day and age: "nitrous is like a hot girl with STDs, you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences."
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
DarkShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,734
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow
Re: Make it as strong as a V8

Easy, because they are indeed race engines. The owners already have the limits on strength that can be provided as far as block components are concerned, but they still need more power. So they take chances with the shot size, duration, fuel mixture, etc. Exceeding the shot rating for the block will break interior components, running too lean causes melt downs and fire.

We are comparing people who are strip rats and who rebuild their engines monthly (or more) to keep in tip top shape or just for the heck of it. They are willing to take the risks because its obviously not their daily driver and they will be rebuilding it again soon enough anyway. This is not your average Mustang street driver who is just wanting a little extra power with a packaged Nitrous kit intended for street use on nearly ANY car.
__________________
DarkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Haha fair enough.

Good job, sir. I concede defeat.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Make it as strong as a V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
Complete misnomer. A properly set up Nitrous system is incredibly reliable and predictable. Probably more so than any other form of "power adder". With the safety measures present in modern, leading kits, the only true draw back to nitrous now is having to fill the bottle.
+Like

-Will
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Make it as strong as a V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
Not trying to bash here, but if it is always do predictable explain why so many nitrous injected race engines fail and explode/catch fire/etc.
Sure it's relatively safe now, but it's still a contained gas which has a tendency to do whatever it wants when it wants. Look at gas laws in chemistry! It's crazy stuff but dang is it fun.
I refer you to a wildly popular quote circulating in this day and age: "nitrous is like a hot girl with STDs, you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences."
Nitrous breaks stuff when used incorrectly....the EXACT same way a turbo or supercharger breaks something.

-Will
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Make it as strong as a V8

I dont like the sudden shock Nitrous can have if you have only one jet size, that in itself can cause stuff to break.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
DrMentalX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Other
Posts: 30
Re: Make it as strong as a V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
Easy, because they are indeed race engines. The owners already have the limits on strength that can be provided as far as block components are concerned, but they still need more power. So they take chances with the shot size, duration, fuel mixture, etc. Exceeding the shot rating for the block will break interior components, running too lean causes melt downs and fire.

We are comparing people who are strip rats and who rebuild their engines monthly (or more) to keep in tip top shape or just for the heck of it. They are willing to take the risks because its obviously not their daily driver and they will be rebuilding it again soon enough anyway. This is not your average Mustang street driver who is just wanting a little extra power with a packaged Nitrous kit intended for street use on nearly ANY car.
That's a great point, specially for us who try to upgrade our daily drivers. thanks for clarify it
DrMentalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Ok,

Check out Tom Morana racing. His heads, cam and roller rockers are a good start.
I have his Stage 2 plus heads B grind cam and roller rockers, VAP Auto Windstar upper intake, steeda under drive pulley, dual exhaust, and a custom tune. Dyno'd at 255 rear wheel horsepower. Total cost to build over the purchase price of the car was about $7000. Bhp is about 308.
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Make it as strong as a V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355 View Post
Ok,

Check out Tom Morana racing. His heads, cam and roller rockers are a good start.
I have his Stage 2 plus heads B grind cam and roller rockers, VAP Auto Windstar upper intake, steeda under drive pulley, dual exhaust, and a custom tune. Dyno'd at 255 rear wheel horsepower. Total cost to build over the purchase price of the car was about $7000. Bhp is about 308.

That is a LOT of $$$ for the HP.....

-Will
__________________
Waffles
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk

That is a LOT of $$$ for the HP.....

-Will
You could do a full turbo setup with forged internals for that (if you do your own labor of course)...
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: Make it as strong as a V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
You could do a full turbo setup with forged internals for that (if you do your own labor of course)...
Eh, not sure about that.....because you'd have to get all of the stuff to support it also

-Will
__________________
Waffles
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Maybe 10k by the time you're done... Or a cheap s/c setup with all supporting mods. Either way youll make way more power with the same amount of money. Or one of your favorite methods forged internals, rearend, and a dual stage nitrous kit spraying 150+hp and you'd kill that all motor v6 with less money put into it.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
Greg687's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 126
Re: Make it as strong as a V8

Great ideas going here guys.

Was looking at SuperSix. Would buying the PowerPak (intake, heads, cam) for a '99-up split port and putting it on a '98 single port be an effective way to do that upgrade? or would there be more involved?
Greg687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Honestly,

I would go and check out Tom Morana's website. I much prefer dealing with a Canadian supplier...plus his prices are just as good if not better. I should also state my build cost includes the new water pump and timing set, gaskets, head bolts, having the engine built and the cost of the SCT tuner and the Dyno tune.
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
Scorpion1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manheim
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 194
Re: Make it as strong as a V8

Back when I had my 99 V6 I ran a 75 wet shot of nitrous with a good dyno tune from a Diablo tuner, CAI, Exhaust and nothing else. I could easily keep up with my buddies 01 GT.
__________________
WiCK3D_SiX
Scorpion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Republicans Continue Strong Tradition of Snubbing Science Brent The Bar 4 02-16-2009 10:14 PM
the hate on the 6 was strong today Kyle The Bar 32 05-30-2005 04:47 AM
Remember when Iran said that any attack would be met with strong resistance? Brent The Bar 15 03-14-2005 02:59 PM
Are T45's strong? Js281GT The Bar 6 01-04-2005 12:49 PM
strong like bull tire The Bar 2 09-03-2003 02:33 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:10 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.