single flowmaster? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
single flowmaster?

Ie herd a lot of things about flowmaster not having a good flow. I'm buying a single muffler cause I don't have enough money to buy a new system. Suggestions would help a lot
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Personally don't waste the time and money on a single muffler, you'll regret wasting the money and will eventually want to go dual piped. Save the time and money and buy yourself an o/r h or x pipe and if you like flows go with dual super 40s.

What kind of sound are you looking for
Cody156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
You already have a single pipe... Why upgrade that when you can have a deul system go catback if you have to... I have an true dual offroad exhaust system. An trust me does more and sounds more like a performance car after your done about 15 to 20 hp
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: single flowmaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
Ie herd a lot of things about flowmaster not having a good flow. I'm buying a single muffler cause I don't have enough money to buy a new system. Suggestions would help a lot
Any Flowmaster has plenty of flow. A single exhaust V6 Mustang has no business worrying about excessive flow or straight through mufflers.
Whoever told you that could of been speaking in terms of a big block engine putting out over 900 HP with a 3" exhaust system. Even then, theres nothing wrong with a Flowmaster muffler. The Flowmaster 10 Series muffler is practically straight through.
A V6 mustang has no business using straight through mufflers.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just a teenager lookin for a little soemthin to giev me a loud car if I get a job I'm gonna save up for a dual and rims but at the moment I'm just debating on something that will make my baby louder
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Go to YouTube and listen to the Mustang V6 exhaust clips. You can type in key words after Mustang V6- such as "Flowmaster 10 Series" OR "Mellowtone" OR "BOOMTUBE", or FLOWMASTER 40's", OR "Single Chamber" OR "Thrush Welded", OR "BORLA", OR "Glasspack"
Try that and you'll be happy.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

we added a single flowmaster 44 to our car and it sounds better for sure, and while most here will knock it for not being dual exhaust sometimes you can only spend so much, and you will be happy with the sound compared to stock

work in progress...
2002 v6, Dual Flowmasters, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, AM CAI....
next up lowering, gears...
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
Road Trip!

I have pypes but ima go with borla later
Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Pypes sound alright but not the sound of a mustang sounds more import. But doesn't bother me...
Old 04-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
Pypes sound alright but not the sound of a mustang sounds more import. But doesn't bother me...
Mustangs are suppose to have that growling sound you know... That muscle car sound... A six can sound like that... Jus takes some money
Old 04-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
Mustangs are suppose to have that growling sound you know... That muscle car sound... A six can sound like that... Jus takes some money
Yes some money, and 2 more cylinders. Not trying to burst anyone's bubble here but the v6 mustangs aren't going to have that "v8" sound...ever.

They can sound good...for a v6. People should find what exhaust they like on the v6 and go with that...don't base your entire preference on how it compares to a v8. People put a ton of money into exhaust hoping to sound exactly like a 2v v8 and end up disappointed.

Bottom line, they can sound decent at idle and in the lower rpms, but wot and 3k rpms are going to have that v6 sound, no way around it.

To the OP:

If you want to do a single muffler setup to save some money go ahead.
Most flowmasters are chambered mufflers. They are going to be quieter an possibly flow a little less than a straight thru design like a Magnaflow or traditional Cherry Bomb, but the quality of sound will be better, and there's still plenty of flow with a chambered muffler. The majority of v6's on the road do not need straight thru mufflers or 3" exhaust.

Straight thru's are going to be louder, but that's not always good, especially on a 6. But if that's what you want, more power to you, it's your car. We just try to offer advice on what seems best based on our experiences.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

Yes some money, and 2 more cylinders. Not trying to burst anyone's bubble here but the v6 mustangs aren't going to have that "v8" sound...ever.

They can sound good...for a v6. People should find what exhaust they like on the v6 and go with that...don't base your entire preference on how it compares to a v8. People put a ton of money into exhaust hoping to sound exactly like a 2v v8 and end up disappointed.

Bottom line, they can sound decent at idle and in the lower rpms, but wot and 3k rpms are going to have that v6 sound, no way around it.

To the OP:

If you want to do a single muffler setup to save some money go ahead.
Most flowmasters are chambered mufflers. They are going to be quieter an possibly flow a little less than a straight thru design like a Magnaflow or traditional Cherry Bomb, but the quality of sound will be better, and there's still plenty of flow with a chambered muffler. The majority of v6's on the road do not need straight thru mufflers or 3" exhaust.

Straight thru's are going to be louder, but that's not always good, especially on a 6. But if that's what you want, more power to you, it's your car. We just try to offer advice on what seems best based on our experiences.
+1
Cody156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Also take a look at Cherry Bomb. Go to their website. They sell two different chambered mufflers. Their top of the line regular muffler is called the "Vortex" muffler. Lastly they have a rather loud chambered muffler called the "Extreme" muffler. On the mellow side of things they have one called the "Turbo" which is nice but a bit quiet.
This company is newly owned with state of the art technology. I have listened to all of their mufflers on V6 Fords and they are wonderful.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033
Also take a look at Cherry Bomb. Go to their website. They sell two different chambered mufflers. Their top of the line regular muffler is called the "Vortex" muffler. Lastly they have a rather loud chambered muffler called the "Extreme" muffler. On the mellow side of things they have one called the "Turbo" which is nice but a bit quiet.
This company is newly owned with state of the art technology. I have listened to all of their mufflers on V6 Fords and they are wonderful.
Alright I will as long as it's not a packing muffler I'll look at it. I forgot cherry bomb made chambered mufflers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang