Convertible top problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to nekronos
Question Convertible top problem

I lowered my top the other day just fine (sounded a little weak though), when I tried putting it back up it wouldn't budge. I could still barely hear the top motor running (or hydrolic pump?) but it still wouldn't move. I put it back up manually with little resistance and tried using the motor again. It took a few seconds but it would come down again and it would even go back up (I could hear the motor trying to pull it each time but always took a few seconds to catch it). It seems to be able to bring it up again as long as its no more than halfway down.

I also noticed in between my left rear tire and fender there was some fluid leaking, seems like it either I have a hydrolic fluid leak or I just need more?

So anyone know what's wrong? Is the motor failing? Do I need more fluids?

Also if I need fluid, where do I put it(how do I get to it), and what fluid exactly would I need?

Thanks!
nekronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Convertible top problem

anyone recommend another site that may know more about convertibles?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
I think Spector might have had some problems with his recently. Pm him maybe.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you need to take your back seat out, the side panels, and the speakers and you can get a look at the system, its not that hard to deal with. The stuff leaking is probably transmission fluid. The ram cylinders can go bad, and are not that expensive to replace (100-150 bucks). I recommend doing BOTH sides as it will help them lift even perhaps~ you can just put one in and see then buy the other if needed as well.

If its been ran a while on low fluid make sure the motor is working good else it may need replacing as well. I think one of mine is leaking... but ive yet to mess with it. A key thing here is once the top is about down dont keep the button pressed. It puts to much pressure on the seals and eventually they leak.

Ive never replaced one but everyone says its not to bad, no idea how you bleed the system but it cant be that bad.

If you need instructions on removing the backseat let me know.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I'm planning on trying this in the next week or so when I have time, checking it out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang