Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Oil

3K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  Texastboneking 
#1 ·
What best oil is recommended for a v6 2000 mustang... I like penzoil. But I like to see what y'all use

#35 ·
mustangchassy said:
I was told Royal Purple is a TRUE synthetic where Mobil 1 is not...I dunno..Only the best for my baby. Yes its pricey but its worth it. I also have a V8 tho.:D
Just a rumor. Research it. Mobil1 is true synthetic. I know royal purple is good. But I'm my lab class tests showed mobil1 to be better

#36 ·
Texastboneking said:
Just a rumor. Research it. Mobil1 is true synthetic. I know royal purple is good. But I'm my lab class tests showed mobil1 to be better
Maybe. im not switching lol. It seems to work awesome and im happy. That's all that matters. It will always be a debate between which oil is the best lol.

#40 ·
Mustangguy0202 said:
Royal purple and k&n filter on my baby... And in my opinion u should never go below 5w-30.... 5w-20 is a joke
10w30 will not lubricate the valvetrain as well as 5w20. 10w30 will usually cause the valvetrain to tick because of poor lubrication and will eventually need new lifters (valve lash adjusters).

#44 ·
6Banger2000 said:
I talked to a mechanic the other day and he suggested, 5-40 or 0-40 here in Houston. Says its what all the Porsches ect are running now. Synthetic of course.
Your car ain't a porche. It's a mustang. The engine was designed differently than a porche. Therefore takes a different weight. Thats like saying the f350 uses 10w40 rotella diesel oil. I should too!

#46 ·
6Banger2000 said:
Thats why he suggested 5-40. Suggesting the 5-20 may not hold up to the Houston Heat and driving conditions. I am not going to argue with you on any of this. I am simply saying that someone suggested using a higher range of viscosity oil.
Down in houston that might be fine for summer use. I live up in the dfw area so I know the heat your talking about.:) Plus the v6s are not as sensitive to oil viscosity changes like the v8s are. Sorry. Didn't mean to come off rude

#48 ·
I woulnt seafoam the oil. It's rough on the bearings because it thins the oil out. if I remember right the makers of seafoam doesn't recommend it

#50 ·
6Banger2000 said:
Hrmm, I heard Seafoaming the oil and running it around for a bit then changing it would help un gunk the engine. I didnt mean seafoaming and leaving it in. But I can see what you are getting at about being rough on it.
What year is your car? From what I know I'm pretty sure the v6 mustangs don't have a gunking problem. Ppl do it all the time and have no problems. It's just not recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.