Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Oil

3K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  Texastboneking 
#1 ·
What best oil is recommended for a v6 2000 mustang... I like penzoil. But I like to see what y'all use

#2 ·
factory 5w20 synthetic blend. thats what i use. penzoil is ok. but if you want aftermarket oil and dont want to go crazy like royal purple, use castrol. that is very good oil too

#4 ·
mobil 1 is high. and k&n oil filters are junk. like their air filters... you are right though. mobil1 is the best oil in my opinion. Wix makes the best oil filters and thats a proven fact. and other oils will perform fine in a car as long as you keep up with your maintenance.

#5 ·
Always have had great return from Mobile 1.

Seen cars meticulously maintained with Pennz end up crudded up inside, so I don't use it.

Getting ready to do a Seafoam treatment and oilchange on my Mustang. Current oil looks ok, so I'm thinking it was maintained well.

#7 ·
Blackedout said:
Why 5w-30?
V6 the viscosity is not as important as a v8. The old pushrod v6 will take many different viscosities and will perform fine. V8s really need the 5w20 to lubricate the upper drive train.

#10 ·
robb15033 said:
K&N filters are the best money can buy. They are made by Champion who also put out Mobil1 oil filters, STP, AC delco, Bosch to their standards. Wix, & Purilator are great filters too.
Bob is the oil Guru and he's tested it all up and down left to right. Believe whom ever the hell you want.
I'll believe me. I went to school and in engines class we broke down several filters to see the design. K&n let too much debri by and didn't have as much filter media inside as a wix which won the filter competition hands down. Wix had more filter media and a more free flowing design over ac delco and stp. Mobile1 filters were right up there with wix. I would use wix though because it's as good as mobile1 for less. Fram was the absolute worst filter. And most motor oils were the same. The only real distinct differences where what the brand used for additives. Mobil1 did have the best composition. And penzoil wS around the middle-class oils

#12 ·
06mustangmike said:
i also like fram filters there tough gaurd ones:
Buy a fram and buy a wix. Cut both of them open and see what is inside. Wix has about twice as much filter media ofer fram plus wix uses a real bypass valve instead. Also fram is made with cardboard on the inside where wix is made of metal

#15 ·
MarkuzLS1 said:
I use the K&N filters. Maybe they're not quite the best filter? I dunno, but I'm betting that they're within just a few percent. They've got the 1" wrench attachment on the end, though. Makes it worth it.
K&n is ok. Just don't use fram. k&n is in-between wix and fram. And besides. If your car is having oil problems the filter won't matter. You shouldn't have debri in any engine there for in theory you shouldnt really need a filter (in theory) :)

#21 ·
It ran smoother, and after the oil change the first seafoam oil change my car ran different. Seemed like a healthier running engine. And it defiantly cleans the inside.

My mechanic and I at work used seafoam on an exmark. And it ran like brand new. And bc he was curious to see what it did on the engine itself he took it apart after the oil was drained it was clean like brand new compared to another engine without seafoam... It was something else... What a great product...

#24 ·
Brent said:
I don't think Fram is quite that bad. If you maintain a somewhat strict 3k mile oil change Fram filters will do their job.
It will for the most part. But when you can buy a far more superior brand for 1 or 2 bucks more why settle. I'm trying to get the most life out of my engine.

#26 ·
I use RP and a K&N filter. Ive only had one oil change with RP so far because the car is still new to me but it actually seem to run a little better...not that it ran bad before but smoother i think. I might be imagining things too :lol: but really I think no matter what you use, you can't really go wrong.

#31 ·
they are ok but wix is still better. k&n is only well know because of their huge marketing. but their filters leave room for improvement

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.