HELP - Radiator Fan issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

HELP - Radiator Fan issues

a few days ago I went to pick up a friend and the car began to over heat, I got it home and turned it off to cool it down, when I turned it back on it made a noise similar to a truck when I was accelerating - like clank clank clank... didn't use it for a couple days, fee days later It overheated again within 12-15 mins...

today I called my mechanic to check it out, he noticed that the radiator fan does not turn on or spin... he checked the fuse box, everything is fine, he gave the fan direct current and it would spin but it won't spin at all on it's own, even once the car starts over heating... he checked another wire there but it also had current, we let the engine run a little to see if ut would turn on after a while of being hot but nothing.... what could be the problem? can anyone help?
StreetJMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: HELP - Radiator Fan issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJMusic View Post
a few days ago I went to pick up a friend and the car began to over heat, I got it home and turned it off to cool it down, when I turned it back on it made a noise similar to a truck when I was accelerating - like clank clank clank... didn't use it for a couple days, fee days later It overheated again within 12-15 mins...

today I called my mechanic to check it out, he noticed that the radiator fan does not turn on or spin... he checked the fuse box, everything is fine, he gave the fan direct current and it would spin but it won't spin at all on it's own, even once the car starts over heating... he checked another wire there but it also had current, we let the engine run a little to see if ut would turn on after a while of being hot but nothing.... what could be the problem? can anyone help?
what year and model. also what engine size?
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

1998 mustang 3.6L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJMusic
1998 mustang 3.6L
I'm not sure on the v6 model. V8has two temp sensors. One for the gauge and one for fans. Maybe your sensor is bad
Old 05-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Which sensor is for the gauge and which is for the fan? Does the gauge sensor have anything to do with the fan though? here is a picture of something else he checked, is this the sensor you are referring to? besides that he checked the fan indepently and it was fine and then he checked the fuse and they were fine...
Old 05-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

he checked both the black one with two wires and the orange one with one, im ignorant to electrical issues, and he only checked it because he called another mechanic to trouble shoot, but after he checked it he basically told me he wishes he could help me but he doesnt even know whats wrong
Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Road Trip!

get your engine warm. unplug one sensor. if the engine runs different the one you unplugged controls the fans. if your gauge goes back to cold then it is the one for your guage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1885b783.jpg
Views:	1145
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	27142  
Old 05-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Okay Ill do that, thanks alot
Old 05-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

hey Tex, I did what you suggested and when I pulled off the black sensor within 2 seconds the fan began spinning again, so I supposed that sensor is the problem as soon as I plugged it back in the fan turned off.... I just don't understand why the fan turns on when I unplug the sensor, I would assume it needs the sensor to function ... any more insight you can give me
Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJMusic
hey Tex, I did what you suggested and when I pulled off the black sensor within 2 seconds the fan began spinning again, so I supposed that sensor is the problem as soon as I plugged it back in the fan turned off.... I just don't understand why the fan turns on when I unplug the sensor, I would assume it needs the sensor to function ... any more insight you can give me
The fan came on because that is the default. When the sensor is unplugged the PCM kicks the fan on to keep it from overheating. Most likely your sensor is working just giving a false reading. Your sensor is probably telling the PCM that the engine is around 60 degrees when it is really much hotter. Change the sensor and you shouldn't have any more problems
Old 05-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

hey Tex so I changed the sensor today, and I'm still having the issue, could it be the plug the sensor connects to? the plug with the wires that connects to the engine?
Old 05-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJMusic View Post
hey Tex so I changed the sensor today, and I'm still having the issue, could it be the plug the sensor connects to? the plug with the wires that connects to the engine?
well that don't make sense. your plug should be fine because when you unplugged it the fans started up. the plug should be fine.what color was the one that you replaced?
the black plug or the orange plug??
Old 05-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

the black one the orange one is for the temperature gauge ... I changed the black one but the piece that screws in not the part with the plug and wire
Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

and the fan still wont turn on when the car gets hot only while unplugged
Old 05-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
Road Trip!

that should have done it. the only other thing i can think of is maybe your ccrm isnt working like it should. but im not sure on that one. if you can get to a garage that has a decent computer system they should be able to go into the pcm and see what the temp is reading. plus they can manually turn the fans on and off with the computer to make sure all the relays are working correctly.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

If you by chance have a tuner you can monitor the temp the sensor is sending via datalogging...or if you have a friend that has a tuner you may be able to do it as well.

Where are you located btw?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang