Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Big Plans

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  kickerofdoom 
#1 ·
Here's what I'm noodling and about to pull the trigger on:

Taking my beloved almost 100% stock 2000 V6 (w/ 180k miles) and..

• Converting to a '03 - '04 Cobra IRS w/ 3.55 gears and Eaton Detroit Locker Diff and the FullTiltBoogie bushing kit
  • Cat-back exhaust compatible w/ the IRS (Borla XS?) w/ Cobra-style rear bumper for the exhaust outlets (no Cobra lettering)
  • Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors
  • Remove the spoiler (and the antenna)
  • Machined 17x9 '03 Cobra wheels
Before the "why spend big money on an old V6" questions, I've owned this car since new, it's been very good to me and I love it. It's my daily driver, I could spend a lot of money on a new car, but I'd rather put it into this one.

My goals:
  • Great handling on these twisty Central PA mountain roads without sacrificing ride comfort too much
  • Some subtle styling updates (NOT a Cobra clone)
  • Saving the engine/transmission updates for later. V6 runs great for now.

Some questions:
- What do you think of the Borla exhaust on the V6? I know this is sacrilege, but I really want the quietest system I can find. I've seen comparison charts out there that rank the Borla as the quietest, and I like the sound of it from looking at YouTube videos.

- I don't necessarily want to lower the car. I don't mind the way it sits now, but will the IRS (assuming stock springs) sit lower than the SRA? Will I need to lower the front to make it look right?

- Any other thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

See less See more
#5 ·
you will gain about 100lbs of weight with the IRS but its great for handling and driving and you seem to have all of the little things that MUST be done (bushings etc) when installing one.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Now I just need to find an IRS on the east coast. Got my install estimate one day too late to bid on a nice one on eBay. There's one on there now in CA, but shipping is ridiculous (like $600!).

Do you think there's any problem with having the Cobra rear brakes and the stock V6 front brakes? A brake upgrade is on my to-do list, but I was planning on waiting until I had to touch them (worn pads and/or rotors).

Thanks again!

#8 ·
the cobra rear brakes are only a larger rotor, same caliper. It wont be an issue as far as I would know but what about ABS/no abs etc?

#10 ·
I know exactly what you mean when you say curvy PA mountain roads. I live in FL now but I drove it up to visit my mom. I have a lowered V6 and she handles awesome but the roads were crazy. My car did survive the trip in one piece! But you living up there, Idk about lowering even though the stance is awesome. Those roads are tough.

I don't mind Borla. I have had Dyno Max and that was my favorite on my old 01. I like my flowmasters. AM has the sound clips if you've checked them out?

#11 ·
Yeah, the roads are curvy, and not always smooth.. that's why I'm thinking the IRS will be nice. And I go over speed bumps every day, so I'm really in no hurry to lower it.

I have listened to the sound clips on AM, but they're all on V8s so I'm not sure how good they represent how they'd sound on my V6. It's also (I think) hard to gauge the loudness of them. Actually, the stock GT sound in the clips is the closest to what I'm looking for. Quiet! There are V6 clips on YouTube, but no comparisons really, so it's really hard to judge loudness. *shrug* As long as it keeps the drone to a minimum, I'm sure I won't hate whatever I end up getting.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.