lowering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
lowering

I know there are other threads about this out there but I didn't know if they were car specific.
I have a 1998 v6 mustang and I wanna lower it a little. What's the best way? Lowering springs? If so what's the work to do it like, how expensive is it, and what's a good brand to buy for my car???
All advice is helpful thank you
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
Yea lowering springs are the best way to go. I would use eibach. Check out american muscle for prices. If ur on a budget late model resteration ha some springs for 100 bucks which aint bad. I woul also suggest cc plates if you go low. But the labor isnt to bad. I did my car in about 2 hours.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Ford springs are nicer then u don't need cc plates and a lot of other extra stuff.
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: lowering

you can cut your springs a bit, if you cut them with a cut off wheel it wont hurt anything, you cant use a torch.

If you want to help handling you can buy some ford racing C springs for cheap (150 or so) they are 600lbs front 300~ rear so much stiffer than stock (400 or less in front)

If you drop it more than 1 inch you may require caster/camber plates (190 bucks) to get the alignment right.

I would say go at least 1.5 inches or dont bother

for cutting the stock springs I cant tell you how much to cut but i am sure someone can... it may be a trial and error thing but dont cut to much you can always cut more but not put it back on lol.

there is a how to I wrote, its rather easy. look in the article section
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
you can cut your springs a bit, if you cut them with a cut off wheel it wont hurt anything, you cant use a torch.

If you want to help handling you can buy some ford racing C springs for cheap (150 or so) they are 600lbs front 300~ rear so much stiffer than stock (400 or less in front)

If you drop it more than 1 inch you may require caster/camber plates (190 bucks) to get the alignment right.

I would say go at least 1.5 inches or dont bother

for cutting the stock springs I cant tell you how much to cut but i am sure someone can... it may be a trial and error thing but dont cut to much you can always cut more but not put it back on lol.

there is a how to I wrote, its rather easy. look in the article section
I might not because my ride is harsh enough as is and if new springs make it stiffer that would be a rough drive
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
I cut my stock springs at first it was ok for a while then my shocks and struts went out the springs were to weak and it was really bouncy but the car looked sexy lol. I would invest in some good lowering springs and some cc plates. IMO
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: lowering

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414 View Post
I might not because my ride is harsh enough as is and if new springs make it stiffer that would be a rough drive
you can get springs that dont raise the spring rate so the ride wont be any worse than it is. Currently its super soft and easy riding compared to many stiff springs out there lol, if you think its a harsh ride now... yea dont go with performance oriented springs.

of course some of your harshness might be the stock shocks/struts are just worn out and or froze up causing a very harsh ride... inspect them to check for this.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV

you can get springs that dont raise the spring rate so the ride wont be any worse than it is. Currently its super soft and easy riding compared to many stiff springs out there lol, if you think its a harsh ride now... yea dont go with performance oriented springs.

of course some of your harshness might be the stock shocks/struts are just worn out and or froze up causing a very harsh ride... inspect them to check for this.
My struts and shocks are in pretty decent shape still. And what brands should I go with to not harshen the ride?
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lowering help!!! 98gtdriver 1996-2004 Mustang GT 9 06-16-2011 08:23 AM
Lowering my 04... 04SonicBlueGT 1996-2004 Mustang GT 22 10-23-2009 01:31 PM
Lowering my 04 GT Talon 1996-2004 Mustang GT 13 07-15-2009 09:02 PM
lowering? 96cobra 1996-2004 Mustang GT 17 04-08-2009 12:04 PM
Lowering? 19ClearCobra96 1996-2004 Mustang GT 14 05-16-2005 07:54 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:22 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.