v6 swap to cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #1

v6 swap to cobra

Hey everyone I'm planning to do a full swap from an 04 cobra to my 03 v6. Just wondering if anybody knows of any spacial problems that might arise in the engine bay or tranny mounts.
will21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Well, might be a different k member with different tranny and engine mounts plus the different wiring harness and computer.....
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by will21
Hey everyone I'm planning to do a full swap from an 04 cobra to my 03 v6. Just wondering if anybody knows of any spacial problems that might arise in the engine bay or tranny mounts.
Hope your doing supporting mods... Your rear diff, brakes, and suspension will not take kindly to the horse power...
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Don forget changing the fuel tank too!

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Honestly its probably cheaper to buy the cobra whole. You got a lot of modding to do
Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: v6 swap to cobra

yea you may just need the full donnor car, with the price of 03/04 cobras it might be better to sell the 03 and buy one, the end result will net a much more valuable car at least
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

i dont think changing the tank is necessary.... but you will have to swap for a cobra "fuel hat"..dual pumps, i dont think this is a cheap item. you will definatley have to swap the k-member for a v-8. you can get one from another car, or spend a few bucks for an tubular aftermarket unit. too my knowledge you shouldnt run into any issues with transmission mounts.

im almost done with my 97 v6 to 5.0efi conversion. the project your jumping into isnt for the faint of heart or novice builder.

are you gonna do a stock gt rear or a factory irs rear?

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
i dont think changing the tank is necessary.... but you will have to swap for a cobra "fuel hat"..dual pumps, i dont think this is a cheap item. you will definatley have to swap the k-member for a v-8. you can get one from another car, or spend a few bucks for an tubular aftermarket unit. too my knowledge you shouldnt run into any issues with transmission mounts.

im almost done with my 97 v6 to 5.0efi conversion. the project your jumping into isnt for the faint of heart or novice builder.

are you gonna do a stock gt rear or a factory irs rear?
Don't worry I've been working on cars since I was 13 and I'm gonna basically get a full donor car and swap everything. Engine tranny comp diff and supenssion. I'm doin it cuz I want to be able to say I built that. That's means more to me than just goin out and buying one. It's Gonna be one he'll of a job but I'm up for it. I was just wondering if anyone else tied it and ran into any major problems I should know of.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
yea you may just need the full donnor car, with the price of 03/04 cobras it might be better to sell the 03 and buy one, the end result will net a much more valuable car at least
I'm either gonna swap with a cobra or get a donor 3.8 and bore it out to a 4.2 and get a set of built heads with some new cams. Trying to decide which is the etter choice.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I would do the cobra swap. Sounds like fun. I wish i had the money to do that. I just did an auto to 5 spd tranny swap this past weekend. It was fun. And you will be saving alot of money in insurance prices for sure.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by will21 View Post
Don't worry I've been working on cars since I was 13 and I'm gonna basically get a full donor car and swap everything. Engine tranny comp diff and supenssion. I'm doin it cuz I want to be able to say I built that. That's means more to me than just goin out and buying one. It's Gonna be one he'll of a job but I'm up for it. I was just wondering if anyone else tied it and ran into any major problems I should know of.
if its just cause you want a project then go for it. its not too bad. the body and frame is pretty much identical and all the parts should bolt right up. just money thats all
Old 06-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

It basically comes down to money and time...and when I say time I mean dedication and motivation. A lot of guys start a fairly big project and end up stopping half way through because they lose focus or get tired of hitting the unexpected obstacles.

Don't expect to find a "cheap" donor cobra...most are going for the price of a decent GT or higher mileage n/a cobra/mach 1. Hell, I just saw a full engine/transmission/wiring/ECU from an 03 for sale for 10k.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
It basically comes down to money and time...and when I say time I mean dedication and motivation. A lot of guys start a fairly big project and end up stopping half way through because they lose focus or get tired of hitting the unexpected obstacles.

Don't expect to find a "cheap" donor cobra...most are going for the price of a decent GT or higher mileage n/a cobra/mach 1. Hell, I just saw a full engine/transmission/wiring/ECU from an 03 for sale for 10k.
Oh trust me I won't. I love working on cars. It's my career. Haha and yea I'm not expecting it to be cheap. Unless I can find a junked cobra with a decent engine and clean it up.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by will21 View Post
Oh trust me I won't. I love working on cars. It's my career. Haha and yea I'm not expecting it to be cheap. Unless I can find a junked cobra with a decent engine and clean it up.
Yah keep your eyes open on some of the mustang specific salvage yard sites...every once in a while a wrecked cobra will show up at MPS or Prestige Mustang...might be able to pull a drivetrain setup from one for a decent price.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

Yah keep your eyes open on some of the mustang specific salvage yard sites...every once in a while a wrecked cobra will show up at MPS or Prestige Mustang...might be able to pull a drivetrain setup from one for a decent price.
Ya that would be freakin awesome! Haha gotta hope I'll be that lucky.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Good luckw/ that swap !
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I swear people on this site have the stupidest ****in ideas sometimes. Unless you can get the drivetrain for a crazy cheap price the swap is gonna cost ya way more money than what its worth. Pulls swaping parts doesnt mean u built it, u just swapped parts.
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I like stupid and crazy ideas. I wanna put a ferrari motor into my stang. Lol
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08 View Post
+1

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
I swear people on this site have the stupidest ****in ideas sometimes. Unless you can get the drivetrain for a crazy cheap price the swap is gonna cost ya way more money than what its worth. Pulls swaping parts doesnt mean u built it, u just swapped parts.
could u be anymore negative?!?! i did the v6 to blown 302 efi swap on my 96... believe me when i tell u..."i built the car". putting on a water pump is swapping parts.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08
-1 dont u dare thats blassfamy u fool!

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

I think what ur under taking is an awsome idea so long as u have the time skills and parts to do it (and when i say parts i mean u get them cheep enough to justify not just buying a cobra. Other wise just go buy a cobra lol) have fun and good luck!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Im not gonna do that lol. I was jk. I was just showing that we all have crazy ideas. And its good to learn stuff.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #23
Road Trip!

*wipes sweat from for head* good u scared me there for a sec i just about hulkanized!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

haha i love how yall always call me negative when all i am is realistic. Sorry for bringing everyone back to reality.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I think its cool to have ideas like that. Yea sometimes they are outrageous but its cool to read about ppls ideas. Im not callin you negative in most case ur right but if ppl have money like that then by all means go for it. I wish i could do it. Have u seen the dude on here had a v6 and transformed it into a saleen i mean every detail of a saleen was there. So yea anything is possible.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #26
Road Trip!

See but u dont put crappy "fairy" engines in mustangs thats just stupid! But cobra motors or a saleen setup ya thats cool im very cool with that! oh and dont go stupid and put a chevy engine in her eather or ill have to beat the j*ck a$$ r*tardation right out of u!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
haha i love how yall always call me negative when all i am is realistic. Sorry for bringing everyone back to reality.
But you can certainly be realistic without having to swear every other sentence. I'm sure at one point in your life you've wanted to do something thats a bit extreme, and its always good to post and see how other people react to what your ideas are. But to blatantly go and say that someone wanting to do something is a "stupid ***kin idea* isnt being realistic, thats borderline pessimistic, and is just gonna make new members of this site turn away. Be supportive of your fellow members, and if you wanna be realistic, offer it in a friendly manor.
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Usually my ideas are pretty down to earth, most extreme idea was to set up a 3 way which got closer than i thought. So close, bummer. I see what ur gettin at with the swearing though, i just type like i talk. I mean no more disrespect if i say "that a bad idea or thats a stupid ****in idea".
Old 08-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Im bad for swearing to ur not alone. Not intencional but same like u i swear when i talk so it happens when i type.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #30
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto View Post
But you can certainly be realistic without having to swear every other sentence. I'm sure at one point in your life you've wanted to do something thats a bit extreme, and its always good to post and see how other people react to what your ideas are. But to blatantly go and say that someone wanting to do something is a "stupid ***kin idea* isnt being realistic, thats borderline pessimistic, and is just gonna make new members of this site turn away. Be supportive of your fellow members, and if you wanna be realistic, offer it in a friendly manor.
+1.... my car is v6 to v8 conversion so i suppose i may have been a bit hyper-sensative.....

Old 08-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Usually my ideas are pretty down to earth, most extreme idea was to set up a 3 way which got closer than i thought. So close, bummer. I see what ur gettin at with the swearing though, i just type like i talk. I mean no more disrespect if i say "that a bad idea or thats a stupid ****in idea".
I can understand that, when im around friends i to have a tendency to swear more than usual. I was just trying to say that being more accepting that people are gonna have unusal ideas and just saying things in a bit more polite manor is gonna keep new members around, where as older members have already come to realize that may be how you as a person talk, to new people it may come of a little rougher. But thanks for the polite response to my previous post
Old 08-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Heres my thought process, dude have a V6, which is fine. To do a whole cobra swap is gonna take engine,trans,rearend,IRS, and all the other miscellaneous parts which is gonna cost a pretty penny. So why not sell the V6 and use it as a down payment on a cobra? The only way i see this as a plausible idea is if dude has a wrecked cobra, and is just going to swap the parts so they are on a clean and straight mustang body.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast
Heres my thought process, dude have a V6, which is fine. To do a whole cobra swap is gonna take engine,trans,rearend,IRS, and all the other miscellaneous parts which is gonna cost a pretty penny. So why not sell the V6 and use it as a down payment on a cobra? The only way i see this as a plausible idea is if dude has a wrecked cobra, and is just going to swap the parts so they are on a clean and straight mustang body.
Which is probably what his plan is....
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

if he does have a cobra, more power to him, i cant even find a wrecked GT in my state. closest thing i have would be a thunderbird with a 4.6 and a lincoln mkVIII with a 4.6 as well. orrr a chevelle with a 454 ls6 but thats blasphemy, and i have plans to restore that
Old 08-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #35
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto View Post
if he does have a cobra, more power to him, i cant even find a wrecked GT in my state. closest thing i have would be a thunderbird with a 4.6 and a lincoln mkVIII with a 4.6 as well. orrr a chevelle with a 454 ls6 but thats blasphemy, and i have plans to restore that
the lincoln is a 4v so he would be a step closer...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang