My 1999 3.8 v6 - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #71
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355
Texas...not sure why you are so negative on v6 cars...but I will try to dispel some myths you have unknowingly put forward. The tranny in a v6 is not weaker than the one in a 4.6l car. In fact it is actually stronger. The t5 is the one used on 5.0l fox bodies as well as 3.8/3.9l cars. It is a very strong and capable tranny. Even the auto box used on v6 cars is stronger!! Both super six and Tom Morana sell kits to use the m112 on the 3.8/3.9l engine. Now before installing it I would highly recommend building up the bottom end first. The one thing one does have to keep in mind when building up a v6 car is when the time has come to swap out the 7.5 rear end for an 8.8 with t-lok and upgrade the brakes. Some people buy v6 cars because at the time they can't justify the added cost of a v8 car. It may cost a bit more to get a really powerful v6 car, but it can be done for a reasonable cost and if you are on a budget..then you can do a bit at a time. We really should try to help each other out and not slamming a guy for wanting to get the most out of his 6 banger. The toughest part on a v6 build up is getting a good dyno tune. Many shops claim they can tune a v6...few do it well.
Never did I slam him around. I gave him info. And As a matter of fact I'm helping him out
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #72
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

Hmm..just every publication who has ever tested the v6 car and addressed that specific topic because for some reason it is a misguided belief put out there by v8 owners!
Proof backing your post??? Let's see your credible publications
I know about the t5. And I can tell you it's a very weak tranny
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

Proof backing your post??? Let's see your credible publications
I know about the t5. And I can tell you it's a very weak tranny
Ok..so how many v6 cars have you built Texas? I have 1 I'm building under a budget and have very impressive results for only having the car for a fairly short time. It appears to me that you are a v8 guy who slams v6 cars...and doesn't like it when we show you that a NA v6 car can run with v8 cars. Admittedly there isn't as much aftermarket for v6 engines but there is some and the prices are getting better all the time. So instead of slamming guys for wanting to make their v6's better perhaps you could educate yourself on the topic and help. I would suggest starting with the web sites for Super Six Motorsports and Tom Morana Racing.
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #74
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

Ok..so how many v6 cars have you built Texas? I have 1 I'm building under a budget and have very impressive results for only having the car for a fairly short time. It appears to me that you are a v8 guy who slams v6 cars...and doesn't like it when we show you that a NA v6 car can run with v8 cars. Admittedly there isn't as much aftermarket for v6 engines but the is some and the prices are getting better all the time. So instead of slamming guys for wanting to make their v6's better perhaps you could educate yourself on the topic and help. I would suggest starting with the web sites for Super Six Motorsports and Tom Morana Racing.
Your getting me all wrong. I'm not bashing v6s. And I've built plenty of cars. I'm a for technician at a dealership. I know more than you think. And the cost to build a v6 to run with v8s is just high. I have yet to see a v6 mustang get close to my v8. And I've raced nodded 2011 v6s

Now when I ask for proof it's because it sounds like your bragging about numbers that you came up with because that's what the sticker said your gains would be.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

Your getting me all wrong. I'm not bashing v6s. And I've built plenty of cars. I'm a for technician at a dealership. I know more than you think. And the cost to build a v6 to run with v8s is just high. I have yet to see a v6 mustang get close to my v8. And I've raced nodded 2011 v6s

Now when I ask for proof it's because it sounds like your bragging about numbers that you came up with because that's what the sticker said your gains would be.
Lol...well than you really don't know me..like I said dyno tuned at Wall's Rod and Custom in Dufresne MB. My car has had the following mods done to it.

Tom Morana's stage 3+ heads
Tom Morana's B grind cam ( stats can be found on his website)
1.73:1 roller rockers
Windstar upperintake kit (VAP Auto)
Steeda under drive pulley
True dual exhaust
4.10 rear gears with t-lok (FRRP)

Tuned using a super chips hand held tuner...oh and I run only synthetic oil....
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #76
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

Lol...well than you really don't know me..like I said dyno tuned at Wall's Rod and Custom in Dufresne MB. My car has had the following mods done to it.

Tom Morana's stage 3+ heads
Tom Morana's B grind cam ( stats can be found on his website)
1.73:1 roller rockers
Windstar upperintake kit (VAP Auto)
Steeda under drive pulley
True dual exhaust
4.10 rear gears with t-lok (FRRP)

Tuned using a super chips hand held tuner...oh and I run only synthetic oil....
And what was your hp claim again?
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

And what was your hp claim again?
255 rwhp..and it's not a claim it's dyno proven
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #78
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

255 rwhp..and it's not a claim it's dyno proven
So all those mods and your still 60 hp away from my factory v8... Idk to me the v8 is still sounding better
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

So all those mods and your still 60 hp away from my factory v8... Idk to me the v8 is still sounding better
Funny...the only 4.6 L I know of putting out that at the rear wheel is a modified Mach 1.....a regular GT went from 305 bhp to about 315...unless you are talking about a Cobra Terminator....
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #80
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

Funny...the only 4.6 L I know of putting out that at the rear wheel is a modified Mach 1.....a regular GT went from 305 bhp to about 315...unless you are talking about a Cobra Terminator....
I have a 97 cobra with a factory 01 motor in it making 315 "dyno proven"
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #81
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

Funny...the only 4.6 L I know of putting out that at the rear wheel is a modified Mach 1.....a regular GT went from 305 bhp to about 315...unless you are talking about a Cobra Terminator....
Stop talking in bhp. It's just funny when you do
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

Stop talking in bhp. It's just funny when you do
So..answer my question then...
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #83
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

So..answer my question then...
And that was???
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

And that was???
You did answer it in the other post...01 Cobra motor rated 320 bhp...stock....so...you are probably around 300 at the rear wheel...roughly..what are your dyno numbers?
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #85
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

You did answer it in the other post...01 Cobra motor rated 320 bhp...stock....so...you are probably around 300 at the rear wheel...roughly..what are your dyno numbers?
313.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
The cobra motor is underrated
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #87
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
The cobra motor is underrated
Thank you
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

313.
I wish I could get that. As soon as I can afford it I'm buying a cobra
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #89
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414

I wish I could get that. As soon as I can afford it I'm buying a cobra
The older ones are getting pretty affordable. Bought mine for 4800
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

The older ones are getting pretty affordable. Bought mine for 4800
I want a 94-98. Stick with my body style. And yeah I got college next 4 years so after that
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #91
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
94 and 95 had 5.0s 96 was first year of the 4.6 dohc
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Yeah. I'll research more when it's time. I'm thinking sonic blue or green
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: My 1999 3.8 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355 View Post
255 rwhp..and it's not a claim it's dyno proven
Could you please post the dyno sheet? The highest n/a I've seen is 240rwhp on a built 4.2 so your claims are a little unrealistic. What kind of dyno was this done on? A mustang dyno?
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #94
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771

Could you please post the dyno sheet? The highest n/a I've seen is 240rwhp on a built 4.2 so your claims are a little unrealistic. What kind of dyno was this done on? A mustang dyno?
No it's a honda dyno
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
Maybe its 4.3
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #96
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
Maybe its 4.3
Gm v6? (scratching head)
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
No I seen them 4.3 and maybe race gas
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #98
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
No I seen them 4.3 and maybe race gas
Bored 4.2?
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: My 1999 3.8 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
Bored 4.2?
Yea. They have a 4.3 stroker. He listed a stock bottom end in his mod list. Just h/c/i and boltons for mods in a previous post
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771

Could you please post the dyno sheet? The highest n/a I've seen is 240rwhp on a built 4.2 so your claims are a little unrealistic. What kind of dyno was this done on? A mustang dyno?
Yes it was a Mustang dyno...and once I figure out how to post it up I will. And they are not unrealistic...just because you personally have not seen it...doesn't make it untrue. Ford from the factory restricted airflow on this engine BIGTIME. So by letting it breathe on both sides..and properly tuning it..this engine can and does make some pretty impressive numbers for a v6. These mods put the engine squarely in stock Foxbody 5.0L territory....

All together in parts I think without going through receipts cost me about $4000 including the dyno and the super chips hand held...add to that the $12000 I paid for the car 3 yrs ago...it's still less than what an 04 GT would have cost at the time...never mind what an 04 Cobra would have cost me...
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
The airbox isn't the problem the filter. And unless they made something wrong.man. dude I'm not saying it not possible but you may want to get it checked again. The engine is not built for power. You gotta make a new one to make power
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #102
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

Yes it was a Mustang dyno...and once I figure out how to post it up I will. And they are not unrealistic...just because you personally have not seen it...doesn't make it untrue. Ford from the factory restricted airflow on this engine BIGTIME. So by letting it breathe on both sides..and properly tuning it..this engine can and does make some pretty impressive numbers for a v6. These mods put the engine squarely in stock Foxbody 5.0L territory....

All together in parts I think without going through receipts cost me about $4000 including the dyno and the super chips hand held...add to that the $12000 I paid for the car 3 yrs ago...it's still less than what an 04 GT would have cost at the time...never mind what an 04 Cobra would have cost me...
My 97 cost me 4800
My 01 motor cost me 1500 after all parts.
Grand total is 6200
313 on dyno and chicks love the sound and power
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
The airbox isn't the problem the filter. And unless they made something wrong.man. dude I'm not saying it not possible but you may want to get it checked again. The engine is not built for power. You gotta make a new one to make power
I'm not talking the air box...to let it breathe I'm talking airflow throughout the whole engine
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: My 1999 3.8 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355 View Post
Yes it was a Mustang dyno...and once I figure out how to post it up I will. And they are not unrealistic...just because you personally have not seen it...doesn't make it untrue. Ford from the factory restricted airflow on this engine BIGTIME. So by letting it breathe on both sides..and properly tuning it..this engine can and does make some pretty impressive numbers for a v6. These mods put the engine squarely in stock Foxbody 5.0L territory....

All together in parts I think without going through receipts cost me about $4000 including the dyno and the super chips hand held...add to that the $12000 I paid for the car 3 yrsago...it's still less than what an 04 GT would have cost at the time...never mind what an 04 Cobra would have cost me...
Yeah now you're definately full of ****. A mustang dyno reads about 10% lower than a dynojet. So u really have closer to 280rwhp u are a joke. As said before, post a dyno sheet or shut up!!!
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771

Yeah now you're definately full of ****. A mustang dyno reads about 10% lower than a dynojet. So u really have closer to 280rwhp u are a joke. As said before, post a dyno sheet or shut up!!!
That's not what I said, don't put words in my mouth...255 rear wheel horsepower...period. Why would I lie about this, as a member of the Canadian military and the law enforcement community I do not lie..and in this instance I have absolutely no reason to lie....

To be honest it's you who comes off looking bad here..you just look like another V8 owner who for whatever reason can't accept that a V6 can put out descent numbers...you shouldn't feel threatened..no one is threatening your manhood here kid...all I was trying to do is suggest to a fellow V6 owner how they can achieve their goal of making their car quicker...I could care less if you believe me or not...

And just because you are a Ford tech...does not prove you know a damn thing about building a quality performance 3.8 / 3.9L engine. Perhaps if you worked for Super Six Motorsports or Tom Morana Racing, guys who know a thing or two about these engines you in turn might have a leg to stand on...but you don't...so go back to changing tires on old ladies Grand Marquis or changing oil in the local Fast Lane where you might on occasion not screw it up.
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
v6 swap to cobra will21 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 43 09-07-2011 05:56 PM
ordering 12 mustang v6. need opinions SoFlo Mustang 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 17 07-05-2011 09:02 AM
03 v6 upgrades? TaylorF25 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 11 06-27-2011 11:02 PM
03 v6 rear brakes TaylorF25 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 8 06-25-2011 11:01 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:16 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.