My 1999 3.8 v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
cakedout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 54
My 1999 3.8 v6

Sup everyone I just wanted to see if anyone would mind giving me a lil advice on my new ride I got 2 weeks ago. Its a 99 5 speed 3.8 v6 with 56k on it!..so far i have bought a c.a.i and put dual exhaust on it..what are some more mods I can make to get it quicker?..
cakedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
Registered User
Newbie
 
LOWCOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
gears and a tune for sure
LOWCOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,859
Windstar intake,tuner,gears,shorty shift,springs,subframe connector,seafoam
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Better tires
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
cakedout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 54
Lol Texas..but what would gears cost me? and what kind should I get?
cakedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 324
Nitrous! But don't use too much or your floorpans will pop out...
DrSalt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout
Lol Texas..but what would gears cost me? and what kind should I get?
Standard or automatic?

Daily driver?
Lot of highway or city miles?
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
cakedout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

Standard or automatic?

Daily driver?
Lot of highway or city miles?
Standard..yes daily driver and only 56k city..I want it fast tho
cakedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
cakedout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
Windstar intake,tuner,gears,shorty shift,springs,subframe connector,seafoam
Whats a subframe connector?
cakedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

Standard..yes daily driver and only 56k city..I want it fast tho
Well if you want fast you need a v8
An if you drive a lot of city miles go with 410 gears. That will liven it up
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

Whats a subframe connector?
Something you don't need. It's for high torque applications
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
cakedout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

Well if you want fast you need a v8
An if you drive a lot of city miles go with 410 gears. That will liven it up
Ive seen supercharged v6's that kik *** man..but what gears are they? Where do they go?
cakedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 AM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

Ive seen supercharged v6's that kik *** man..but what gears are they? Where do they go?
They go in the rear differential.

And sure a spercharged v6 is kinda quick but that engine can only support around 320hp. Tops. Plus all the supporting mods. Your tranny can't hold 300hp without being built up. Brakes on the v6 suck. Suspension won't be able to handle the torque. And if I remember right your rear axle is too weak also. The v6 was never designed for power. Mine starts out with 320hp with no mods. Now I can supercharge and make around 450 hp.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
cakedout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

They go in the rear differential.

And sure a spercharged v6 is kinda quick but that engine can only support around 320hp. Tops. Plus all the supporting mods. Your tranny can't hold 300hp without being built up. Brakes on the v6 suck. Suspension won't be able to handle the torque. And if I remember right your rear axle is too weak also. The v6 was never designed for power. Mine starts out with 320hp with no mods. Now I can supercharge and make around 450 hp.
Way to shoot down my dreams..
cakedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

Way to shoot down my dreams..
Lol no. I'm trying to bring reality to you. Do some research. It's gonna cost you a lot to make that thing keep up with stock gts. But if you really want. You can. Just be prepared to spend a lot of money to get at gt status.

Do whatever you want though

You have to look at the whole car. You can't jus build a powerful motor and then forget about your tranny, suspension and brakes. That would be a terrible thing to do
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
cakedout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

Lol no. I'm trying to bring reality to you. Do some research. It's gonna cost you a lot to make that thing keep up with stock gts. But if you really want. You can. Just be prepared to spend a lot of money to get at gt status.

Do whatever you want though

You have to look at the whole car. You can't jus build a powerful motor and then forget about your tranny, suspension and brakes. That would be a terrible thing to do
Now Im concidering selling it..
cakedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 930
Re: My 1999 3.8 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout View Post
Now Im concidering selling it..
I wouldnt sell it because of just a few comments. You can enjoy a v6, but you have to be realistic with expectations. You can find a used blower for under 2k and have around 300rwhp safely. The tranny and rear end will hold up fine to that. There will always be something quicker on the road anyway
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #18
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

Well if you want fast you need a v8
An if you drive a lot of city miles go with 410 gears. That will liven it up
I'm debating what gears I should get... 410s or 373s?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #19
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

They go in the rear differential.

And sure a spercharged v6 is kinda quick but that engine can only support around 320hp. Tops. Plus all the supporting mods. Your tranny can't hold 300hp without being built up. Brakes on the v6 suck. Suspension won't be able to handle the torque. And if I remember right your rear axle is too weak also. The v6 was never designed for power. Mine starts out with 320hp with no mods. Now I can supercharge and make around 450 hp.
What do you drive with 320hp?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

Way to shoot down my dreams..
He's not shooting your dreams down... He's jus telling you the facts... V6s were made to be gas savers... They have a limited hp gain...
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,859
They were made to be cheap and easy cars to fix. Not really to save gas
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
shaqfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Region: Illinois
Posts: 390
Re: My 1999 3.8 v6

the car can still be a lot of fun, comparing it to a v8 constantly on this forum is getting kinda tiring...there will always be another car that is faster, even than your cobras....mustangs are all cool cars and not everyone is trying to get 500 horsepower..why keep posting daily on v6 side knocking everyone, even in sarcasm?
__________________

work in progress...
2002 v6, Dual Flowmasters, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, AM CAI....
next up lowering, gears...
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,859
Add some parts to make it fun and also safer. Tlock,bigger brakes,gears,exhaust,lowering spring. Makes a fun car
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #24
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

I'm debating what gears I should get... 410s or 373s?
Standard or auto
And do you drive on the highway alot?
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #25
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771

I wouldnt sell it because of just a few comments. You can enjoy a v6, but you have to be realistic with expectations. You can find a used blower for under 2k and have around 300rwhp safely. The tranny and rear end will hold up fine to that. There will always be something quicker on the road anyway
You better gave one hell of a custom tuner to save that tranny. I've seen a few burn clutches up with less power than that.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #26
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

What do you drive with 320hp?
My 97 cobra with 01 engine swap...
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #27
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

Standard or auto
And do you drive on the highway alot?
Auto and I drive when I go back and forth from work. Which is 10 minutes away from home
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #28
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
They were made to be cheap and easy cars to fix. Not really to save gas
They were made for daily drivers to be cheap on gas
They were made for the ppm that want the look of a sports car but don't need the power of one.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #29
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqfu
the car can still be a lot of fun, comparing it to a v8 constantly on this forum is getting kinda tiring...there will always be another car that is faster, even than your cobras....mustangs are all cool cars and not everyone is trying to get 500 horsepower..why keep posting daily on v6 side knocking everyone, even in sarcasm?
I'm not knocking him. He said he wants to make it alot faster. I told him it takes quite abit to get to stock gt status. And that 320 hp is about that engines max... An that's truth. I wasn't bashing him.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #30
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

Auto and I drive when I go back and forth from work. Which is 10 minutes away from home
Is work on the highway or city driving route?
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #31
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Again he's not shooting dreams down? Why's up truth hurts?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #32
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

Is work on the highway or city driving route?
One way hwy, the other city so both
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Greg687's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 126
Re: My 1999 3.8 v6

Sounds like you found a heck of a deal! What did you pay if I may ask?

I like my V6. Plenty of fun, and I can tinker with it without having to trade a kidney. Don't compare V6's to 8's. Different animals. Enjoy it for what it is, and if you need MORE, then trade up. I'm going to play with mine and get what I can out of it N/A.
Greg687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #34
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

One way hwy, the other city so both
As long as you don't try to go 80 all the time on the highway 4.10s will work great for you. You will just be revving higher on the highway.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #35
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg687
Sounds like you found a heck of a deal! What did you pay if I may ask?

I like my V6. Plenty of fun, and I can tinker with it without having to trade a kidney. Don't compare V6's to 8's. Different animals. Enjoy it for what it is, and if you need MORE, then trade up. I'm going to play with mine and get what I can out of it N/A.
There is the mind set alot of ppl need on this forum. Alot of these ppl think it's easy to make them out run a v8
They are two different animals and need to be treated as that. And you can make one fast for what it is. But you will have trouble trying to beat a v8
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
v6 swap to cobra will21 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 43 09-07-2011 05:56 PM
ordering 12 mustang v6. need opinions SoFlo Mustang 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 17 07-05-2011 09:02 AM
03 v6 upgrades? TaylorF25 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 11 06-27-2011 11:02 PM
03 v6 rear brakes TaylorF25 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 8 06-25-2011 11:01 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:16 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.