best way to lift motor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
best way to lift motor

In order to get to my freeze plug to replace it [the one under the motor mount] I need to raise everything up off the mount and take it off.

I've gotten the nuts off the mounting bolts, so it's just resting there.

What is the easiest, safest, least likely to mess something else up way of raising the engine just enough to get this done?

I've got the car up on jack stands and have been crawling around underneath it, but I'm having a hard time finding any place to put a jack that looks sturdy enough. And from the top...there's stuff everywhere that I'm afraid an engine hoist and chains would break. When I originally put the thing in, all the extras were off and I had big massive bolts to attach the chain to. [In addition, if I can do it from underneath and avoid having to take the hood off...again...that'd be great...though, if not, I'll suck it up.]

Thanks!
shustwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Engine host to the side of the engine your lifting. As long as your not using a cheap chain you should be fine.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shustwit
In order to get to my freeze plug to replace it [the one under the motor mount] I need to raise everything up off the mount and take it off.

I've gotten the nuts off the mounting bolts, so it's just resting there.

What is the easiest, safest, least likely to mess something else up way of raising the engine just enough to get this done?

I've got the car up on jack stands and have been crawling around underneath it, but I'm having a hard time finding any place to put a jack that looks sturdy enough. And from the top...there's stuff everywhere that I'm afraid an engine hoist and chains would break. When I originally put the thing in, all the extras were off and I had big massive bolts to attach the chain to. [In addition, if I can do it from underneath and avoid having to take the hood off...again...that'd be great...though, if not, I'll suck it up.]

Thanks!
A jack on the oil pan can work but cod crush it
And you can leave the hood on with a cherry picker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: best way to lift motor

There really wasn't any way to get to the oil pan on my particular car, so I had to lift it from the top. Of course, once I got the cherry picker in place, I had a hard time finding room for me under it
And then my husband said "why don't you just take the wheel off?" Brilliant! Yea, for change of perspective.
Man, those bolts did NOT want to come off, and getting a breaker bar in there was a bit of a trick, but 9 hrs later [and only 2 trips to the parts store,] it's all back together...and I didn't break anything else, which is a miracle in and of itself.
Whew.
shustwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shustwit
There really wasn't any way to get to the oil pan on my particular car, so I had to lift it from the top. Of course, once I got the cherry picker in place, I had a hard time finding room for me under it
And then my husband said "why don't you just take the wheel off?" Brilliant! Yea, for change of perspective.
Man, those bolts did NOT want to come off, and getting a breaker bar in there was a bit of a trick, but 9 hrs later [and only 2 trips to the parts store,] it's all back together...and I didn't break anything else, which is a miracle in and of itself.
Whew.
Forgot you were a female . Very impressive

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang