Originally Posted by bradh2414
Ok I drive a 1998 v6. I have pretty much done nothing to it yet. I bought it with dual exhaust and that's it. I just have some questions performance-wise.
1. I have no mufflers only cats, so does the lack of back pressure take away from my overall performance??
2. I want to do a CAI but my dad thinks the stock looks pretty good. Should I for better performance? And if so what brand should I use and where do I get it?
3. Say I want to do an AC delete since my AC system is absolutely shot ($600+ in repairs). Does this do anything for performance and how hard is it to do?
4. It's a DD mostly around town to work and back. What new gears would be good for nice acceleration but still good for highway and higher speeds?
5. Are there any other pretty cheap mods I can do to improve performance/handling and help my engine run better?
Any answers helpful thanks
1. The low end torque will be affected. You will have a slight increase in HP though.
2. Not much of a gain. Just do a drop in k&n filter and remove silencer.
3. It will free up some HP. Not much at all. Although you're insane to do an a/c delete on a DD.
4. 3.73s are good for a manual
5. A split port swap is your best bet. It will bring you up to 99-04 v6 power which I believe is about 40 HP more.
Do you have a budget. What are your goals?