general 98 questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
general 98 questions

Ok I drive a 1998 v6. I have pretty much done nothing to it yet. I bought it with dual exhaust and that's it. I just have some questions performance-wise.
1. I have no mufflers only cats, so does the lack of back pressure take away from my overall performance??
2. I want to do a CAI but my dad thinks the stock looks pretty good. Should I for better performance? And if so what brand should I use and where do I get it?
3. Say I want to do an AC delete since my AC system is absolutely shot ($600+ in repairs). Does this do anything for performance and how hard is it to do?
4. It's a DD mostly around town to work and back. What new gears would be good for nice acceleration but still good for highway and higher speeds?
5. Are there any other pretty cheap mods I can do to improve performance/handling and help my engine run better?
Any answers helpful thanks
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Btw it's a 5-speed
Old 07-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: general 98 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414 View Post
Ok I drive a 1998 v6. I have pretty much done nothing to it yet. I bought it with dual exhaust and that's it. I just have some questions performance-wise.
1. I have no mufflers only cats, so does the lack of back pressure take away from my overall performance??
2. I want to do a CAI but my dad thinks the stock looks pretty good. Should I for better performance? And if so what brand should I use and where do I get it?
3. Say I want to do an AC delete since my AC system is absolutely shot ($600+ in repairs). Does this do anything for performance and how hard is it to do?
4. It's a DD mostly around town to work and back. What new gears would be good for nice acceleration but still good for highway and higher speeds?
5. Are there any other pretty cheap mods I can do to improve performance/handling and help my engine run better?
Any answers helpful thanks
1. The low end torque will be affected. You will have a slight increase in HP though.
2. Not much of a gain. Just do a drop in k&n filter and remove silencer.
3. It will free up some HP. Not much at all. Although you're insane to do an a/c delete on a DD.
4. 3.73s are good for a manual
5. A split port swap is your best bet. It will bring you up to 99-04 v6 power which I believe is about 40 HP more.

Do you have a budget. What are your goals?
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico

On topic... what part is the silencer? My 98 has a K&N, but it all looks stock.

To the OP, you could also put in under drive pulleys for a little kick. The V6 will not be a V8, though it can come close with a LOT of $$$. Enjoy it for what it is. Do the gears and a T-loc, maybe lower it a bit and replace any worn suspension parts to improve the handling, then buy a 99 V6 engine from a junk yard and build it up slowly so you can replace it all in one shot. That is my plan anyway
Greg687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771

1. The low end torque will be affected. You will have a slight increase in HP though.
3. It will free up some HP. Not much at all. Although you're insane to do an a/c delete on a DD.
5. A split port swap is your best bet. It will bring you up to 99-04 v6 power which I believe is about 40 HP more.

Listen to tiger. He's got it down right
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771

Thanks. I'm not gonna do the AC delete I was jw. And how hard is it to change the gears?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414 View Post
Thanks. I'm not gonna do the AC delete I was jw. And how hard is it to change the gears?
It is a job for a mechanic. Not very easy. The gears need to be set up perfect or they will go to whining. Gears will run about 150, the tlok will run about 200, the bearings and fluid about 100, and a good install 350+ to give u an idea of the cost

The pulley is good for about 6rwhp across the power band. I did a before and after dyno. Not sure where the sheet went.

You could also do long tube headers with a midpipe. The shorties are an absolute wast on a non supercharged car
Old 07-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg687 View Post
On topic... what part is the silencer? My 98 has a K&N, but it all looks stock.

To the OP, you could also put in under drive pulleys for a little kick. The V6 will not be a V8, though it can come close with a LOT of $$$. Enjoy it for what it is. Do the gears and a T-loc, maybe lower it a bit and replace any worn suspension parts to improve the handling, then buy a 99 V6 engine from a junk yard and build it up slowly so you can replace it all in one shot. That is my plan anyway
It has a k&n filter or intake? The silencer is the black snorkel looking thing that is beside the fenderwell
Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You can install a tlock your self and lowering spring. Subframe connector
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
You can install a tlock your self and lowering spring. Subframe connector
Id hold off on the subframe connectors on a near stock car.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

It will never be as pwerful as a v8 but you can still have fun with a 6er.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
It has a k&n filter or intake? The silencer is the black snorkel looking thing that is beside the fenderwell
K&N filter that replaces the stock. Came that way when i bought it. So, if I take the "snorkel" thing off that will help? I does seem restrictive.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg687 View Post
K&N filter that replaces the stock. Came that way when i bought it. So, if I take the "snorkel" thing off that will help? I does seem restrictive.

Thanks!
Ehh. In theory it does. Wont show up on a dyno. The filter is the main restriction
Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So, not much benefit to a real CAI then, right? Other than clean looks.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV View Post
It will never be as pwerful as a v8 but you can still have fun with a 6er.
Especially not as powerful as the almighty 3v. But seriously you can get good power out of your car. With a blower and boltons 300rwhp is pretty easy to get. And with a turbo,350+ is fairly easy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang