not getting gas? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
not getting gas?

This is the 96 I've been working on for awhile and I'm so close to having it running again it makes me crazy.

We started it and ran it for 10 minutes with radiator cleaner in it [so it actually ran of its own free will.]

Turned it off and let it cool down [per instructions,] flushed the stuff out, added water, and tried to restart. No such luck with the starting. Could get it going spraying stuff in the throttle, but it wouldn't stay running.
Perhaps the fuel filter is clogged, we thought. As I was changing it, I noticed the gas smelled really bad...like Everclear. Dropped the tank to drain it; put fresh gas in it and some B12. [Starter died...replaced it...ugh]

Fuel pump makes normal priming noise. After priming, car will start and run for a very short bit...then slowly die. Checked fuel pressure [with twitchy gauge] fuel pressure reads 25-35ish at the fuel rail and 35 when I replace the fuel filter with the gauge...so...coming out of the fuel pump.

I don't have the air filter etc installed.

Has anyone had this slowly dying issue before?

I've tried to recheck all the sensor connectors and vacuum lines. I replaced the engine with a recently rebuilt one, but didn't replace the exhaust manifold with a new one...still got the old one. When I got the car with the previous engine in it, it was missing some vacuum lines [coming from the upper intake plenum] but I didn't see any major mods that would keep me from using the standard Haynes manual. I replaced the missing ones with ones from the junkyard.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
shustwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: not getting gas?

This was the original missing line. I don't think the previous owner did a delete on it, but I'm not sure.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Theres no vacuum line on your egr valve.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: not getting gas?

That's the one that was missing that I replaced with one from the junkyard. It came that way, but I didn't figure it was supposed to be that way. Who knows?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea theres suppose to be a vacuum line on that egr valve.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang