Serious fuel smell - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Serious fuel smell

I have read somewhere before, but cant remember the cause. When I downshift coming to a stop letting the engine brake, I get a strong fuel smell. I know that downshifting to engine break causes a higher vacuum, just cant remember which seal that effects and why I would get a fuel smell. Any ideas fellas? And/or ladies?
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Re: Serious fuel smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife View Post
I have read somewhere before, but cant remember the cause. When I downshift coming to a stop letting the engine brake, I get a strong fuel smell. I know that downshifting to engine break causes a higher vacuum, just cant remember which seal that effects and why I would get a fuel smell. Any ideas fellas? And/or ladies?
What year and model was the Mustang?

Are you running an off-road mid-pipe?
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMStanger

What year and model was the Mustang?

Are you running an off-road mid-pipe?
Sorry, its an 01 3.8l. And no, still has stock exhaust with hollowed cats (not by my doing I might add)
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
junoS197Bl08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 533
Re: Serious fuel smell

Just my own personal preference, but I don't downshift to brake with my engine anymore just cuz its a lot cheaper to replace break pads and rotors than it is to repair engine issues, at least the majority of the time. But I would check the fuel injectors and basically over the whole system while its running to look for a leak.
__________________
2008 V6 Windveil Blue with 5spd standard transmission-pony package, replica rims, shorty antenna
junoS197Bl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08
Just my own personal preference, but I don't downshift to brake with my engine anymore just cuz its a lot cheaper to replace break pads and rotors than it is to repair engine issues, at least the majority of the time. But I would check the fuel injectors and basically over the whole system while its running to look for a leak.
Engine is getting swapped soon, for one. And its not the injectors and there are no leaks
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Maybe I just need to find another forum. Kind of tired of getting other peoples "preferences" vs people just answering the question. Everyones driving style is different. Of all the vehicles I have ever owned, I have never messed up an engine from engine braking. This engine has had problems right since I bought the car, but since I am building a bad *** motor to swap, I am only concerned in keeping this one running, not anything more.
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife
Maybe I just need to find another forum. Kind of tired of getting other peoples "preferences" vs people just answering the question. Everyones driving style is different. Of all the vehicles I have ever owned, I have never messed up an engine from engine braking. This engine has had problems right since I bought the car, but since I am building a bad *** motor to swap, I am only concerned in keeping this one running, not anything more.
This is a tough one. I'm thinking the hollowed out cats are where the smell is coming from as they aren't burning off any extra gas in the exhaust gasses..but I'm really just guessing here...maybe pcv valve?
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Re: Serious fuel smell

Mustanglife,

It's definitely going to be your hollowed out catalytic converters that is causing the fuel smell. Is your CEL on? If so, the PCM is dumping a ton of fuel into the combustion chamber(making your gas mileage worse too, might I add) and the result is unburned fuel vapor coming out through the exhaust because there is no catalytic converters there to absorb and clean that up.


I hope this helps! Have a great weekend!
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMStanger
Mustanglife,

It's definitely going to be your hollowed out catalytic converters that is causing the fuel smell. Is your CEL on? If so, the PCM is dumping a ton of fuel into the combustion chamber(making your gas mileage worse too, might I add) and the result is unburned fuel vapor coming out through the exhaust because there is no catalytic converters there to absorb and clean that up.

I hope this helps! Have a great weekend!
Thats what I am thinking since I can even smell fuel from the exhaust while its idling. I didnt catch this before since I never walked behind the car to smell the exhaust. But now it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info and for sticking to the question, not giving me your driving style before making a guess at what the problem could be.
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Re: Serious fuel smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife View Post
Thats what I am thinking since I can even smell fuel from the exhaust while its idling. I didnt catch this before since I never walked behind the car to smell the exhaust. But now it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info and for sticking to the question, not giving me your driving style before making a guess at what the problem could be.
My pleasure!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel rails Z06 eater 1979-1995 Mustang GT 5 07-17-2011 10:43 PM
Fuel gauge issue macmarine39 1979-1995 Mustang GT 7 07-16-2011 06:19 PM
Fuel filter 04TRV6 1979-1995 Mustang GT 13 07-08-2011 04:21 PM
bullett fuel door 1996v6stang General Car Discussion 3 07-06-2011 08:13 PM
Fuel injectors 2001 v6 Mustanglife Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 9 07-02-2011 11:36 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:50 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.