Plethora of Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Plethora of Questions

1998 3.8L V6
1. I have a tap on my front drivers side brakes. It's not a squeal but like a "tick tick tick" when I drive an louder when I brake. Do I need new pads or should I use wd40 to grease an quiet it?
2. Stupid question: what's engine braking? Is it downshifting an slowing yorself down that way?
3. Double clutching? Useless right?
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414
1998 3.8L V6
1. I have a tap on my front drivers side brakes. It's not a squeal but like a "tick tick tick" when I drive an louder when I brake. Do I need new pads or should I use wd40 to grease an quiet it?
2. Stupid question: what's engine braking? Is it downshifting an slowing yorself down that way?
3. Double clutching? Useless right?
I can answer 2 & 3.

1. One thing, don't use wd-40 on your pads. It'll make your brakes useless for a while...

2. You are correct, it's downshifting to increase the revs to slow you down. Apparently it's way better than using your brakes... I think it's kind of stupid because pads are cheap, if you shift and overrev, a new engine is expensive.

3. Yes. Completely useless in any newer car. The reason you double clutch is if you downshift and you don't have synchros... All newer transmissions have them.(including yours)
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Sounds like perhaps bearings in the front hubs....
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

I can answer 2 & 3.

1. One thing, don't use wd-40 on your pads. It'll make your brakes useless for a while...

2. You are correct, it's downshifting to increase the revs to slow you down. Apparently it's way better than using your brakes... I think it's kind of stupid because pads are cheap, if you shift and overrev, a new engine is expensive.

3. Yes. Completely useless in any newer car. The reason you double clutch is if you downshift and you don't have synchros... All newer transmissions have them.(including yours)
Thanks. And I've been told engine braking is bad for your engine. I don't see why. I've never come close to overrevving
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Plethora of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414 View Post
Thanks. And I've been told engine braking is bad for your engine. I don't see why. I've never come close to overrevving
Yes.. The only time I've down shifted is when I need to brake rather quick and there has been ice on the road and if I apply brakes on ice all hell would brake loose.

In Georgia- salting the roads before ice comes doesn't make sense. Right?

What does make sense, is making sure all the trucks are idling and drivers are sleeping in the idling trucks for when the road may become impassable.

Edit the tick tick tick sound does it go away when the brake pedal is pressed?
If yes then you need pads. Make sure to machine rotors, or replace as well. I have the HAWK HPS pads which are pretty good. Go Ford Genuine Rotors. Motorcraft is okay not impressed.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Plethora of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355 View Post
Sounds like perhaps bearings in the front hubs....
^If sound only happens during braking then I lean towards Hubs.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

Yes.. The only time I've down shifted is when I need to brake rather quick and there has been ice on the road and if I apply brakes on ice all hell would brake loose.

In Georgia- salting the roads before ice comes doesn't make sense. Right?

What does make sense, is making sure all the trucks are idling and drivers are sleeping in the idling trucks for when the road may become impassable.

Edit the tick tick tick sound does it go away when the brake pedal is pressed?
If yes then you need pads. Make sure to machine rotors, or replace as well. I have the HAWK HPS pads which are pretty good. Go Ford Genuine Rotors. Motorcraft is okay not impressed.
So I'm not supposed to downshift to stop? Just neutral to brakes? Seems silly.
And no it taps when I drive and gets louder kind of when touching my brakes and pretty quiet when onnn my brakes
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Well you have a manual so you can probably down shift w/o harm as long as you don't drop too low too fast. I thought you might have had an auto. If you have an automatic don't.

That's unsafe to shift to neutral and brake, it can casue the car to go too fast and increase the chance of an accident.

I bet its the brakes.. I'd try that first. I always try the cheaper solution first. And hope that fixes it.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Oh yeah a manual. Ok good cause I downshift all the time.
And it I replace pads I go both front not just one right?
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
illestdomer2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 723
Re: Plethora of Questions

In my manual Honda, I will down**** to brake if I'm heading down a steep'ish hill towards a red light. Other times, I just leave it in whatever gear I was cruising in and maybe ome gear change before popping the clutch in or putting the car in neutral at a light.

People will tell you never cruise in neutral because you might need to accelerate out of a dangerous scenario. I just try to roughly shift to the right gear as I am letting the brakes do the braking
__________________
2011 Mustang 3.7L, 6A, MCA Pkg, Ingot Silver w/ Stone

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005
In my manual Honda, I will down**** to brake if I'm heading down a steep'ish hill towards a red light. Other times, I just leave it in whatever gear I was cruising in and maybe ome gear change before popping the clutch in or putting the car in neutral at a light.

People will tell you never cruise in neutral because you might need to accelerate out of a dangerous scenario. I just try to roughly shift to the right gear as I am letting the brakes do the braking
But downshifting isn't bad? I don't see why it is if you shift smooth. It's just like cruisin high in the powerband
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
illestdomer2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414

But downshifting isn't bad? I don't see why it is if you shift smooth. It's just like cruisin high in the powerband
I'm no expert, but I think you'd be hardpressed to overrev in most any normal situation. Hell, I couldn't shift into 1st at high speed even if I tried!

If anything, it feels like it would be harder on your transmission, and that, too, is more expensive than brake pads
__________________
2011 Mustang 3.7L, 6A, MCA Pkg, Ingot Silver w/ Stone

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
austinknoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Region: California
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414

Thanks. And I've been told engine braking is bad for your engine. I don't see why. I've never come close to overrevving
I did it once. I was dumb and racing my friend home from school so I was at the top of 3rd gear (I have a standard) and I went to go into 4th but accidentaly went into 2nd and my car just went crazy I was all over the road and I immediatly pushedthe clutch in. That saved me. I was stupid don't ever do that kids
__________________
65 Mustang coupe
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll

I did it once. I was dumb and racing my friend home from school so I was at the top of 3rd gear (I have a standard) and I went to go into 4th but accidentaly went into 2nd and my car just went crazy I was all over the road and I immediatly pushedthe clutch in. That saved me. I was stupid don't ever do that kids
I've been in 5th and down shifted into 2nd on accident before, but luckily I was going like 50 in 5th so my 2nd could handle it
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Plethora of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414 View Post
Oh yeah a manual. Ok good cause I downshift all the time.
And it I replace pads I go both front not just one right?
Yes both front need to be replaced.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

Yes both front need to be replaced.
Just double checking. I'll look into it tomorrow when I pull the wheel off. Gotta clean everything anyways. Going to a show kinda
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414

Just double checking. I'll look into it tomorrow when I pull the wheel off. Gotta clean everything anyways. Going to a show kinda
Uhm...by the sounds of things you are not too automotively inclined, but I may be wrong...if you aren't then I'd get it done professionally.
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

Uhm...by the sounds of things you are not too automotively inclined, but I may be wrong...if you aren't then I'd get it done professionally.
No my dad helps me. I can do alot but brakes is where I get uncomfortable. He'll help me
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414

No my dad helps me. I can do alot but brakes is where I get uncomfortable. He'll help me
Ok...well you'll need a c clamp, some new brake fluid,,make sure you get the correct kind for your car. Get your new pads and new disks as they are really not much mote expensive that getting the old ones turned.
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

Ok...well you'll need a c clamp, some new brake fluid,,make sure you get the correct kind for your car. Get your new pads and new disks as they are really not much mote expensive that getting the old ones turned.
Best place to buy pads? Like autozone
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
kickerofdoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,868
EBay is nice for brake kits
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
EBay is nice for brake kits
Oh sweet. Thanks
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #23
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
EBay is nice for brake kits
Yup bought new calipers on ebay.and got a great deal.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Region: Ohio
Posts: 30
Re: Plethora of Questions

your replacing the front might as well do the rear too, remember the back calipers are screw in
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nitrous Questions Murdered_Stang 2005-2010 Mustang GT 2 07-19-2011 01:00 AM
engine swap questions wss003 1979-1995 Mustang GT 2 07-18-2011 12:36 PM
general 98 questions bradh2414 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 14 07-08-2011 12:01 PM
my eforce performance questions black09efgt 2005-2010 Mustang GT 2 06-30-2011 09:15 PM
questions for a 98 - Driver Seat motor, Headlights, and window motor StreetJMusic Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 10 06-27-2011 04:39 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:47 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.