2000 3.8 » 4.6 swap mustang newb - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #1

2000 3.8 » 4.6 swap mustang newb

Alright guys I'm new to this forum and mustangs all together. Originally I bought my 2000 roush v6 mustang to save my jeep from high mileage and horrific gas bills. Now I want to make it a project. I know it would be cheaper and easier just to sell it and buy a gt but I really want to do this swap myself. I have already bought a good engine from a same year model gt for 200 bucks. I think I know about most of the major things involved but I do have a few questions and would like some insight from someone who has completed the swap on like model vehicle.
sethhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith
Re: 2000 3.8 » 4.6 swap mustang newb

That's a big job but a great experience. I am not sure who has done this but I think there are a few.

Good luck and Welcome to Mustang Evolution!!!!!!
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
That is a big job. A job i wanna do myself too lol sound fun. I was gonna do a similar swap one day but i decided not to. But ive done an auto to 5 spd tranny swap. Lol. What kind of questions do you have? Maybe i can try to help you or someone else can.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #4

I know I need a new k member but can I reuse my springs. I know this has been done time and time again there has to be a write up on it and a list of parts needed.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #5

Do they use the same injectors I'd like to only have to buy two if necessary.

should I get the motor bored out while I have it out and how much can I go over if so without risking over heating problems?

will a gt computer and harness bolt and clip right in?

I will have more questions later...
Old 07-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Watch out some people don't like hearing about motor swaps... Don't let them crush your dreams.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
Watch out some people don't like hearing about motor swaps... Don't let them crush your dreams.
Yeah I've seen the discussions before and I've been part of similar discussions on the jeep forums.

Time is not a factor as I don't need the vehicle and im not going to say money isn't a factor cause I'm not loaded but I do have funds available. Hell if your pockets can survive a jeep then mustang shouldn't be that bad.

I want v8 sound

I wanna say yeah I built this

So I don't think critics have a leg to stand on and I will try to provide updates on the progress.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusmith
That's a big job but a great experience. I am not sure who has done this but I think there are a few.

Good luck and Welcome to Mustang Evolution!!!!!!
and thanks for the welcome
Old 07-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Welcome
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yea springs are all the same.
If it was me i would buy new injectors for the v8. And about the computer and harness im not so sure.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Welcome. It's all good that you want to do the swap. I really get annoyed at V8 guys who slam our V6's saying you can't get power from them...or that it costs too much. I have done some engine work on my V6 and got respectable numbers. That being said my next car WILL be a V8.
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355
Welcome. It's all good that you want to do the swap. I really get annoyed at V8 guys who slam our V6's saying you can't get power from them...or that it costs too much. I have done some engine work on my V6 and got respectable numbers. That being said my next car WILL be a V8.
I had thought about selling it and getting an 8 but truthfully if I was to sell I wouldn't be getting another mustang. Id probably go with like a altima or something. Something that I wouldn't spend money or time on, I've already got one of those. I mean theres nothing you can do to an altima right?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhawk1

I had thought about selling it and getting an 8 but truthfully if I was to sell I wouldn't be getting another mustang. Id probably go with like a altima or something. Something that I wouldn't spend money or time on, I've already got one of those. I mean theres nothing you can do to an altima right?
A new Altima coupe? I'm sure there is lots. Nismo has always supported Nissan products. But I hear you my next will be a Challenger.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

A new Altima coupe? I'm sure there is lots. Nismo has always supported Nissan products. But I hear you my next will be a Challenger.
Well I guess that scratches the altima I need a vehicle that won't tempt me. Until then I've always wanted to do a motor swap
Old 07-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I own a 08 Dodge Dakota that is stock other than a tonneau cover and back-up cam that is my daily....the Mustang is just for fun....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang