Why are my front wheels heating up so much? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

It doesnt seam normal.
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Probably need to replace the bearings in the front hubs
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
You think it'll give it a lil better performance
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blackheart4355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos92
You think it'll give it a lil better performance
Well...if it is the hub bearings that are shot then once replaced the front wheels will spin freely...
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
Ima have to get that fixed soon.
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
Has that happened to your stang?
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

Check your bearings, and it wouldn't hurt to make sure your pads are not dragging, could be a bad caliper.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

How many miles do you have on your car?? If it has less then 80,000 your bearings may be wearing out prematurely. Are they squeaking at all? Another way you can tell is jacking up the car pulling on the front and back behind the tire to feel if their is movement. Compare that to a known good wheel to know how much movement u should have other then that try to locate the source of the heat. Whether it is the break caliber or if the hub itself is hotter. If come to find out the bearing is worn out don't go cheap on the bearings most of those are friction fit and require a special slide tool to yank them out so the better quality you get the less u will have to deal with that crap. If it is your caliper you should feel the heat greater on the caliper then the hub.
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
Ima try to do that in the morning! Thanks for the advice btw
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

um. clarification needed here. we talking rims or actual tires?
IamtheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheMAN View Post
um. clarification needed here. we talking rims or actual tires?

good point because if it is only tires they could just be under inflated
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
I'm talking bout the rim and the tire mostly the rim though. For example when I park after driving it the rim feels super hot so does the tire but just not as much as the rim you know what I mean
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos92 View Post
Ima try to do that in the morning! Thanks for the advice btw
your welcome hope you find your answer
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
good point because if it is only tires they could just be under inflated
correct. or a bad toe angle in the alignment.
why did everyone start saying bearings??? thats the least probable thing.
if it was a bearing that was getting hot enough to tell then 1) your lucky your wheel hasnt fallen off, and 2) you wouldnt be able to hear yourself think.
most probable cause is break calipers hanging. or... its perfectly normal and your just worrying yourself
IamtheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

good point I haven't had a bearing go out in years *knock on wood*
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheMAN

correct. or a bad toe angle in the alignment.
why did everyone start saying bearings??? thats the least probable thing.
if it was a bearing that was getting hot enough to tell then 1) your lucky your wheel hasnt fallen off, and 2) you wouldnt be able to hear yourself think.
most probable cause is break calipers hanging. or... its perfectly normal and your just worrying yourself
If it was to be the break callipers hanging wouldn't that also cause like some sort of noise?
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
good point I haven't had a bearing go out in years *knock on wood*
these newer cars bearings easily last over 200,000 miles
IamtheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #18
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos92 View Post
If it was to be the break callipers hanging wouldn't that also cause like some sort of noise?
not necessarily.
think about it. when you press the brakes it doesn't make a noise. why would it make a noise if it was hanging?
IamtheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

well that is easy to figure out all you have to do is jack up the car and turn the wheel see if its hard to turn
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheMAN

not necessarily.
think about it. when you press the brakes it doesn't make a noise. why would it make a noise if it was hanging?
Ima try and get this problem fixed soon
What problems can this cause if I leave it like that?
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #21
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
well that is easy to figure out all you have to do is jack up the car and turn the wheel see if its hard to turn
that and usually the rotor looks like this if its locking up http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...otorpwnage.jpg
IamtheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

well your gas mileage would go down u may have a slight pull to the left on your steering wheel and uneven break pad wear but those are all drastic pad hanging situations and you probably would have noticed it other ways then through your wheel getting hot
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
well your gas mileage would go down u may have a slight pull to the left on your steering wheel and uneven break pad wear but those are all drastic pad hanging situations and you probably would have noticed it other ways then through your wheel getting hot
What would be other ways of noticing the problem? Thanks for the info!
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

jack it up and check it out compare your rotors to what IamTheMan posted as the hyperlink with that data u should be able to see and compare your calipers to see if one sides pads are more worn down then the other thats a sign of rubbing on one side and not the other being fine
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
jack it up and check it out compare your rotors to what IamTheMan posted as the hyperlink with that data u should be able to see and compare your calipers to see if one sides pads are more worn down then the other thats a sign of rubbing on one side and not the other being fine
I'll take that advice. I never really noticed how hot they would get til like just yesterday when I was changing the rim. I couldn't even grip the rim cause of how hot it was
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #26
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos92 View Post
I'll take that advice. I never really noticed how hot they would get til like just yesterday when I was changing the rim. I couldn't even grip the rim cause of how hot it was
thats normal. they got hot enough that you cant touch them.
IamtheMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheMAN

thats normal. they got hot enough that you cant touch them.
Yeah
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
I mean... You have to remember something else too. Your brake rotors get really hot, and they're touching the back of your rims. Your brake rotors get ridiculously hot if you drive aggressively a lot. They're gonna transfer a lot of heat. And it's summer, so that just adds to it.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Nevada
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra
I mean... You have to remember something else too. Your brake rotors get really hot, and they're touching the back of your rims. Your brake rotors get ridiculously hot if you drive aggressively a lot. They're gonna transfer a lot of heat. And it's summer, so that just adds to it.
Yeah I was thinking the same too but ima check it out in the morning to be sure too maybe if I drive it around when it's still cool I'll see a difference
Carlos92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Yeah, I mean, I would still check the brakes and that stuff too. I'm just saying it could possibly be normal.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
austinknoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Region: California
Posts: 1,147
I since were talkin about wheels and brakes, I had a question. When I take off my wheels, it's harder to turn the rotor. (both sides) Also my car will shake sometimes when braking at high speeds.
Could it be a warped rotor or bad calipers?or even bad pads cause idk
__________________
65 Mustang coupe
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
I since were talkin about wheels and brakes, I had a question. When I take off my wheels, it's harder to turn the rotor. (both sides) Also my car will shake sometimes when braking at high speeds.
Could it be a warped rotor or bad calipers?or even bad pads cause idk
I can just answer the first question... You have less leverage... The wheel gives you more.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
As for the second question the shaking could be one of two things with the brakes, in even pads or a warped disk disk most likely. Before you run n get new ones though you can take them in to get turned down just take them to a shop. Last time I had them done it was about 50 bucks for tep
__________________
MOTM DEC 2011
Base SC Dyno 595rwhp/493rwtrq
Refined Tune 608rwhp/504rwtrq


Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
Re: Why are my front wheels heating up so much?

I just had my rotors turned two weeks ago at o' rieleys for 32 bucks for all four. I bought new pads as well. I had shaking while braking becuase the rotors were warping, now she brakes smooth as can be.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
austinknoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Region: California
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
As for the second question the shaking could be one of two things with the brakes, in even pads or a warped disk disk most likely. Before you run n get new ones though you can take them in to get turned down just take them to a shop. Last time I had them done it was about 50 bucks for tep
Once my pads run out (they're going to soon) I will do that
__________________
65 Mustang coupe
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock or Aftermarket Wheels? 559Danny Mustang Wheels & Tires 22 08-16-2011 07:36 PM
Powder coat wheels/ buy new rims STONE47 General Car Discussion 8 08-02-2011 01:55 AM
Opinion? Which wheels look better? salcruz Pictures and Videos 15 07-22-2011 11:09 AM
Help a Ford SVTF Owner win some wheels! Black95GT The Bar 0 07-12-2011 12:24 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:32 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.