Big Problem Guys- Engine shuts down! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

DMAC is unknown around these parts
Big Problem Guys- Engine shuts down!

Hey guys, Two days ago I started my car and it began revving up and down like it was stalling out then it died. the next day i started it... it did the same thing but stayed on and leveled out left it on for a few minutes turned it off... after like 3 more minutes i tried starting it and it reved up then died and did the same thing the second time... i havent tried to start it since... now when looking at my car... i realized my coolant was low, and i checked my oil and it seems as if my repair guy over filled my oil its above the max line.. the first time i started my car, i smelt either oil or gas but when i looked underneath nothing seemed to be dripping. any help would be great especially before i take it over to ford and they charge me an arm and a leg for stuff i probably dont need. If any of you have experienced this before and can diagnose the problem that would be great. Info is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-14-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

crazeflier07 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to crazeflier07
Re: Big Problem Guys- Engine shuts down!

Sounds like the issue that my dad has in his RX7. His problem was an idle controller. Dont know if the mustangs have them but you may want to get that oil level down.
~Jon~

Sinister Six
1998 3.8L V6
Done So Far:
~CAI, True dual exhaust, UDPs, MGW Shifter, H&R springs, Stage 1 & 2 supension kit, performance rotors & pads, steel braided lines, 1 inch rear spacers, A.R. Rebel 17x9s with BFG rubber! :thumbs2:
crazeflier07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

jimbob1276 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to jimbob1276

As far as the idle problem it sounds like the Idle Air Control valve. It is mounted on the side of the throttle body alot of times they get clogged with carbon or the coil breaks it is pretty inexpensive to replace. As far as the coolant and oil you really need to get the levels correct. Most likely the smell was caused by the irratic signals sent to the pcu by the IAC valve... keep us posted.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

DMAC is unknown around these parts

Is that something that i could do by myself with minimal trouble, and do i have to worry about carbon buildup anywhere else if the control valve is busted?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #5

Siraco is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Siraco

What year is your stang? I'm not a genius by any means but i know that in 94 95 and 96 ford used some crappy head gaskets and they gave alot of 3.8 owners (stangs, taurus, tbird, continental etc..) alot of grief. When that goes i guess coolant leaks into the oil and the oil looks kind of weird and it can crack your engine block etc... Its a big job too
Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

lowflyn is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Nice catch Siraco, didn't even look at this thread really.

To the OP, you will want to have a shop check to see if you have in fact blown a head gasket. This will cause your coolant level to be lower and your oil level to be higher. A good way to check this is to drain your oil, if you have foam in it or can see two fluids seperating I would be prepared to tear down the engine for new head gaskets at the least. Just hope it hasn't cracked a head yet.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

jedwards242000 is unknown around these parts

easy thing to do is to get a can of brake clean take off the ide air valve and clean it out. most likely if its the cause you will notice a differance. usually wont shut down might rev high for a while but if you spray the brake clean in and clean it out reinstall it on the car and drive for a few days. if it gets better then problem solved if gets better then starts acting up might need to replace it. if no change this is an inexpensive easy start to your troubleshooting
Old 12-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

customsixstang is unknown around these parts

Hey I Had A Problem With A 454 Chevrolet And It Would Idle Really Ruff And Cut Off. And You Could Run It As Long As You Had The Gas Pressed Down. And It Was The Rotor Cap Which Is Under The Distributor Cap So Just Check That Make Sure It Ok. That 454 Rotor Cap Was Broke So I Had To Get A New One. It Just Send The Eletricity Around All The Sprakplugs.just A Easy Suggesting To Check.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang