Mustang Evolution Forum banner

"Clicking" or "Ticking" After Loading Tune

18K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  illestdomer2005 
#1 ·
Sorry, I asked this question in the "Custom Tune vs Mail Order Tune" thread, but I thought this title might draw more specific attention.

From everything I've read, it sounds like the timing needs to be retarded a bit, and/or my A/F ratio is too lean...?

#3 ·
BAMA 87 Street tune -- only mod is 3.73 rear axle. So...is the A/F ratio too lean, or is the timing too advanced or...? Sounds like there are myriad related factors that all play a role.

#5 ·
Would it be lean stock? I can't ever remember hearing that when it had the stock tune. If it were running lean stock...what would the problem be then? Just my environment (temperature, humidity, etc.)?

If the spark plugs aren't great but are fine on the stock tune, how do I go about getting that replaced under warranty? :eek:

#7 ·
Yeah, I'll call them up tomorrow when they're open. Sucks because I wanted to get in some tuned driving this weekend.

#9 ·
Talked to BAMA and got my new tunes in the mail today. They said that I was just running too lean. I loaded them to the tuner; so, tonight will be the trial run part 2.

I also asked for their "hybrid" tune that combines the low end of the street tune with the top end of the race tune. As soon as I run this 87 octane through the system, I'll be giving that one a whirl :)

#10 ·
illestdomer2005 said:
Talked to BAMA and got my new tunes in the mail today. They said that I was just running too lean. I loaded them to the tuner; so, tonight will be the trial run part 2.

I also asked for their "hybrid" tune that combines the low end of the street tune with the top end of the race tune. As soon as I run this 87 octane through the system, I'll be giving that one a whirl :)
Lol, that hybrid tune sounds pretty awesome...

#12 ·
Does it do it when u hammer on it to accel? And do u still have ur cats on the car? How many miles on the car?

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Mine was doing the same thing for along time i thought the motor would blow if i hammered it to much and when it did it i lost alot of power so of course i thought timming or to lean then on and on turns out one of my cats came loose inside and was rattling (pinging away) and blocking my exhoust off the right bank cut them out put straight pipes on for a week and no more issues just had my new mufflers installed and got all my bottom end back so easy fix and prolly were id start if i ever had to do it again.

#13 ·
It happened on both versions of the tune when I hammered it (WOT) around 4,500 - 5,000 RPM. I just reloaded the tune and retarded timing one degree. Hopefully, that will do it, and of course once I'm done with the fuel in this tank, I will fill up with 93 to see if that totally fixes the problem before I then load up the hybrid tune.

I guess it's possible that I got a bad batch of fuel, but I wouldn't think Chevron 87 octane would be a problem.

#14 ·
Really sounds like a cats come lose in side to me like i said mine did the same thing at first only at around 5 gs in rpm but it keeped getting worse till it started doing it as low as 3700 rpm i tryed everything tuned for premo swaped spark plugs full msd system put in i mean everythin then for like 250 bucks i had the exhaust shop pull my cats and mufflers off cause it was the last thing i could think of and thats what it was... U see the 90s mustangs run 4 cats and 2 mufflers the big cat on the passangers side was the issue in mine but like i said im not sure what yr ur car is if u still got stock stuff on there or what not

#15 ·
could be bad gas, did you have premium you probably very much should..

you can probably pull timing yourself out of the car if you wanted to, or contact AM to have them send you the SAME tune but with 2-4 deg timing out of it~ see if it goes away.

I had detonation bad (thats what it is if its timing related) and It was due to bad gas.

If you pull timing out of it and it still does it you can either pull more or assume its not detonation.

Check your plugs as well but if its only done it a couple times or a little it wont hurt.

#16 ·
Just pulled one degree of timing last night and gave it a run today after doing about 10 or so miles of stop and go driving. Engine was warmed up; transmission should've been warmed up. I can't think of any reason why it should've been a problem.

Well, same thing happened. At around 5,000 RPM, I got the same noise. I actually pulled into a Shell station because I was so mad that I was ready to just put in some 93 before trying again. Well, the 87 octane was $3.50 here, and the 93 octane was $4.10. Even the 89 octane was $3.92. Too much of a price jump there; so, I'll have to give it a go later.

It's really annoying me, and I guess I could try pulling another 1-3 degrees of timing, but jeez...I hope it's just bad gas and not me having a "lesser" engine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.