Windstar Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Windstar Intake

I ordered a windstar kit... here is a quote from the email...

Thank you for your purchase. I will have your kit put together and shipped out on Wednesday. Beings I'm located in Viborg SD shipping should take no time at all! By the way, you are my first in-state sale!

Thanks,
Steven

For as many of these kits that he has sold, I am amazed that I am the first person from South Dakota to order one from him... /boggle
Just_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Well not many people get the kit. But great bolt on that my next up grade
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
Well not many people get the kit. But great bolt on that my next up grade
Actually, you'd be surprised the number he's sold. It is much easier to install than trying to engineer it yourself. Stephan has already come up with the way to get it all to clear the hood and everything!
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I know its a great kit. Just wish our car came stock with the engine like that. Plus with a tlock
Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom
I know its a great kit. Just wish our car came stock with the engine like that. Plus with a tlock
I hear you...but both are relatively inexpensive mods
Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

We these mods we are close to the 2011 mustang except engine mod
Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Windstar Intake

Definitely a worth-while mod for a bolt-on 3.8 car.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Update:

I did all of the hack sawing, got the upper intake installed, EGR and coil pack brackets installed, have the throttle body and CAI installed, still have the vacuum lines and electrical splicing to do yet.

It started to rain Sunday afternoon so I called it a day. Now during the week I am working 12-13 hour shifts and won't get back to it until probably Thursday

In case anyone is considering this project, Steven has an email attachment he will send that has the routing of the vacuum lines which makes things very clear. It is not shown on the website, and it is not included in the kit. You have to ask for it.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John
Update:

I did all of the hack sawing, got the upper intake installed, EGR and coil pack brackets installed, have the throttle body and CAI installed, still have the vacuum lines and electrical splicing to do yet.

It started to rain Sunday afternoon so I called it a day. Now during the week I am working 12-13 hour shifts and won't get back to it until probably Thursday

In case anyone is considering this project, Steven has an email attachment he will send that has the routing of the vacuum lines which makes things very clear. It is not shown on the website, and it is not included in the kit. You have to ask for it.
Funny, I got that diagram with my kit.....
Old 08-24-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Today before work I finished the vacuum lines and did the electrical splicing.

The only thing left to do after work was bolt on the throttle cable and adjust the throttle support brace and hook up the battery.

Started right up and after a minute or so of erratic idling it got nice and smooth. I only drove it a few miles in town and it seems to be just fine.

I can't wait to see what happens to my nice 25/31 gas mileage....
Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well...it shouldn't affect it too negatively anyways..other than you tend to put your foot into it more...lol!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355
Well...it shouldn't affect it too negatively anyways..other than you tend to put your foot into it more...lol!
+1. you should actually gain gas mileage, at least city. You wont have to rev up as much to get the same acceleration.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #13

Region: Tennessee

what all is involved. what is better in this setup? what years fit? does it flow better?
rusty7983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty7983
what all is involved. what is better in this setup? what years fit? does it flow better?
Well, it fits '99 to 04...unless you've done the split port upgrade...it allows the engine to breathe better...and no..for the money there is no better upgrade....
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
^^ I agree best mod I've done. You can actually feel the tq it gives.
Stubzmekenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:51 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Drove to work this afternoon slow and gentle like usual... At lunch I went to get on the highway like normal... I coasted around the corner past the Yield sign and nailed it. WOW! Tires broke loose when I stomped on the gas (that has never happened before), tach flew up to 5,000 and I jammed second... squealed the tires for a full 2 seconds rather than just the wimpy chirp I have become accustomed to.

Two things came to mind:
1) Now that alone was worth $385.
2) I need a T-Lock

Edit: I emailed Steven and requested a swap from a stock TB to a 65mm GT TB. We are going to cross ship. It's only $20 extra
Old 08-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John
Drove to work this afternoon slow and gentle like usual... At lunch I went to get on the highway like normal... I coasted around the corner past the Yield sign and nailed it. WOW! Tires broke loose when I stomped on the gas (that has never happened before), tach flew up to 5,000 and I jammed second... squealed the tires for a full 2 seconds rather than just the wimpy chirp I have become accustomed to.

Two things came to mind:
1) Now that alone was worth $385.
2) I need a T-Lock

Edit: I emailed Steven and requested a swap from a stock TB to a 65mm GT TB. We are going to cross ship. It's only $20 extra
Let me know if you notice a difference..I'm thinking about getting one....
Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Im gonna look into doing this mod soon. besides the benefits it has for the drive-ability of the car, the engine bay itself looks absolutely amazing after being done.
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355 View Post
Let me know if you notice a difference..I'm thinking about getting one....
I'll post something Saturday morning after work... It was mailed Thursday and will be here Friday. Too bad he said he won't modify my 65mm BBK... that was a pile of $$$ down the drain (until I can sell it to someone else).

EDIT: On second thought, I'll tell you now I expect no real results from going to a 65mm throttle body simply because I still have the stock single exhaust on my car.
When I figure out what I want to do to about a mid pipe and cat back to "open up"
the exhaust so it flows more freely, then I will expect the 65m TB to make a difference.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #20

i have a 99 with 3.8. it is split port right?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty7983 View Post
i have a 99 with 3.8. it is split port right?
If its a new edge then yes. if youre refering to the windstar intake then it is split port as well. vague question so i answered both
Old 08-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #22

i thought sometime around 97 all mustang 3.8's became split port. am i correct?

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

so what else needs to be fabbed up? throttle bracket, coil bracket and cold air intake? what else do i buy? a upper intake? anything else? is it true the tps and iac need to be rewired? what else needs to be changed? modified? what do you get for results? 10hp? 20 hp? more? thanks
Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty7983
i thought sometime around 97 all mustang 3.8's became split port. am i correct?

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

so what else needs to be fabbed up? throttle bracket, coil bracket and cold air intake? what else do i buy? a upper intake? anything else? is it true the tps and iac need to be rewired? what else needs to be changed? modified? what do you get for results? 10hp? 20 hp? more? thanks
99 up are split port...just buy the kit from VAP Auto. Stephan has done all the hard work for you. It's literally plug and play.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

99 up are split port...just buy the kit from VAP Auto. Stephan has done all the hard work for you. It's literally plug and play.
Probably 10 rwhp...depending what other mods you've done. The kit will tell you everything you need to do like extending the wires for the TPS etc...it really is easy just follow the instructions
Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Stevens kit from VAPauto.com is all inclusive. Every nut, bolt, gasket, vacuum line, bracket, etc are included EXCEPT an air filter. He even includes the wires and crimp connectors for the extension of the TPS and IAC harnesses.

You get everything you will need except the tools, beer, and ambition to do the job.

The only things I had to buy was a 4" clamp for the intake after upgraded to the 65mm throttle body.

This was money very well spent!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder what a custom tune would do for those numbers as well.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto
I wonder what a custom tune would do for those numbers as well.
He has dyno numbers on the site. I don't kone how much more power you get with a tune but the site has graphs of windstar and windstar with increased timing. I believe with increased timing it gave like 17 tq. This is all on memory but you should check out the site and get the exact numbers.
Stubzmekenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:18 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I saw them in there, but when I looked it was from a supercharged application. So I'm assuming gains are same with the super minus of course what the super itself added
Old 08-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto
Yeah I saw them in there, but when I looked it was from a supercharged application. So I'm assuming gains are same with the super minus of course what the super itself added
Turbo maybe as a super would require a different intake....
Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

A centrifugal super with custom piping would work since it's not mounted on the intake manifold itself
Old 08-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I wish I had done a dyno run when I got my car because it was bone stock.

The only mods on my car now are the Windstar, CAI and 65mm throttle body from Steven, and my SCT tuner. I still have my original single exhaust.

If I put it on a dyno now, I will be able to see what I am getting for HP and Torque, but I have nothing to compare the numbers to... I have been considering it, since there is a speed shop down the street with a Dynojet. No idea what he charges though... I heard he is really expensive with his shop rates.

Maybe I'll have to make a phone call and find out, huh?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Try to see if he offers dyno days for a discount, then try to find some people in your area to go with. I know a guy near me does 3 pulls for 60 per person with 6 people
Old 09-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

RECAP:
Car stock was 16 mpg in town using about 6 tanks of gas.
Added a tuner and CAI and it went to 20 mpg in town using 2 or 3 tanks of gas.
Now, with the Tuner and 65mm Windstar kit............

Well, I put 260 miles on my that tank... 90% of it was "in town" driving that included stop-and-go traffic, avg 30 mph and 4 miles per day at 55 mph to get to work and back. I had filled with 91 octane, the rest of the tank was a small amount of 95 octane. I set the tuner to 91 octane Performance and took off on my work week...

This time, 260 miles required 10.75 gallons to fill til it was trickling out onto the ground. 260/10.75= 24.18 mpg.

I understand that 260 miles isn't very far to be considered a true indicator, however, it is what it is... Going from 16 mpg to 24 mpg is a FIFTY PERCENT increase in MPG since I bought the car and started adding goodies... at least on that tank.

I am pleased!

Also, on the Dyno run, the guy charges $200 for 3 pulls. Tuning and tax is included for that cost. He said call back after the holiday to schedule something. I'm gonna do it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang