Bad AC leak - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Bad AC leak

So ive had my Mustang for about 2 months now, and while the car itself runs fine, i have one small problem which worries me. Right above the passenger floor board, i have a terrible AC leak which my father told me was caused by something being stopped in one of the lines. The problem is i have no idea where to even begin looking in the lines themselves, and id rather not take it to someone whos gonna charge me to flush it. For those worried about the floor rusting, ive been taking care to prevent the problem from getting any worse (towel to soak up water, vacuuming the floor to remove water every day or so). I can get pictures tomorrow if needed. Its a 2000 v6 (obviously) convertible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Bad AC leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto View Post
So ive had my Mustang for about 2 months now, and while the car itself runs fine, i have one small problem which worries me. Right above the passenger floor board, i have a terrible AC leak which my father told me was caused by something being stopped in one of the lines. The problem is i have no idea where to even begin looking in the lines themselves, and id rather not take it to someone whos gonna charge me to flush it. For those worried about the floor rusting, ive been taking care to prevent the problem from getting any worse (towel to soak up water, vacuuming the floor to remove water every day or so). I can get pictures tomorrow if needed. Its a 2000 v6 (obviously) convertible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
There is a drain tube that runs out of your duct work, through the floor and it drains out under the car. It should be just to the right of the transmission tunnel on the passenger's side of the car. You will have to look under the car to see it.

The tube drains the condensation from your A/C coil to the outside of the car.
It is likely that this tube is plugged up or has gotten disconnected.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Any idea what the steps to take would be if its disconnected? i just ran a wire thru it from the passenger side and it went straight into the engine bay so i know its unplugged now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Any idea what the steps to take would be if its disconnected? i just ran a wire thru it from the passenger side and it went straight into the engine bay so i know its unplugged now.
You will have to look at the ductwork and see what it will take to get to it. May have to pull the carpet back to see it. Most of them are real closely mounted between the ductwork and floor.
It may be disconnected or have a hole in it.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It looks like when the car was repaired they didn't knock the hose back into place far enough, so I'm hoping to get into the engine bay and push it back thru the firewall into place
Old 08-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
It looks like when the car was repaired they didn't knock the hose back into place far enough, so I'm hoping to get into the engine bay and push it back thru the firewall into place
Most of those have a lip on them kind of like a grommet.
You may have to disassemble the heater/ac duct to get to it and put it back in.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

well looks like i found what ill be doing tomorrow after work thanks for the help Trojan! i went to an autozone by my house yesterday that i frequent and yesterday was the first time ive ever had any problems with them. the guy kept trying to sell me a new heat condenser and was just very rude about everything. Kept saying that the system wasnt gonna work if i didnt replace it when i kept telling him it was just the drain that wasnt plugged in
Old 08-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
well looks like i found what ill be doing tomorrow after work thanks for the help Trojan! i went to an autozone by my house yesterday that i frequent and yesterday was the first time ive ever had any problems with them. the guy kept trying to sell me a new heat condenser and was just very rude about everything. Kept saying that the system wasnt gonna work if i didnt replace it when i kept telling him it was just the drain that wasnt plugged in
Contact the management.
No one has to put up with that crap.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It was the store manager. all the employees are very firendly, and while i usually know what im talking about (self taught myself about cars from a crappy sebring i had to repair every other week) air conditioning wasnt my forte. and while i was trying to think of what i needed exactly, i kept saying some sort of piping but grommet is what i really meant, he kept saying that would work cause the air wouldnt circulate and i wouldnt have heat, and i repeatedly said its just the drain thats not connected. He then asked what i drove i told him what it was and in a rude tone demanded for the year. So hopefully i wont have to deal with him anymore
Old 08-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
It was the store manager. all the employees are very firendly, and while i usually know what im talking about (self taught myself about cars from a crappy sebring i had to repair every other week) air conditioning wasnt my forte. and while i was trying to think of what i needed exactly, i kept saying some sort of piping but grommet is what i really meant, he kept saying that would work cause the air wouldnt circulate and i wouldnt have heat, and i repeatedly said its just the drain thats not connected. He then asked what i drove i told him what it was and in a rude tone demanded for the year. So hopefully i wont have to deal with him anymore
If it is a national chain, go over his head.
Works even better if they have a Facebook page.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

haha i looked on their main site for a complaint button, so i may just send an email in. and surprisingly they just have a fan page, i checked that first haha
Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
haha i looked on their main site for a complaint button, so i may just send an email in. and surprisingly they just have a fan page, i checked that first haha
Excellent! Send it in. No one should have to put up with that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang