Winter Storage - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Winter Storage

Well its getting closer to time to put the convertible away for the winter!
This will be the first winter I have this car. All of my other cars have always been daily's.
As I get ready for the inevitable I am looking for some tips and tricks to make sure I do it right.
Are their any specifics anyone has on what to do?
What not to do?
I probably wont touch it from end of October till late February sometime, when i plan to pull it out and do some upgrades for next spring! Gears (4.10s), lowering (couple inches) and new wheels/tires (17" not sure if offset or regular).
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Fill all fluids, put jackstands under and let the suspension droop. disconnect battery... Oh, and wash it and let it dry before you put a car cover on it... That's what I do every year.
DrSalt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Winter Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSalt22 View Post
Fill all fluids, put jackstands under and let the suspension droop. disconnect battery... Oh, and wash it and let it dry before you put a car cover on it... That's what I do every year.
Is there anything special that should be done for the oil? Is it bad if it sits for 6 months?

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Umm I dunno lol...mine sat for 5 or 6 months do it *should* be fine... I'd ask someone to make sure tho. Also, when you take it out the first time, take it easy on the brakes. Like drive slowly around the block once or twice to get the slight surface rust off your rotors.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

some fuel stabilizer?
afree05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Why put it on jackstands?
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

This is going to be my first year that I have ever had a car stored for the winter too...

Here is what I have been doing with my 1986 Honda V65 Magna for the past 20 years... and what I will be doing to my 01 Mustang soon.

I use Sea Foam in the tank as recommended on the can, it is advertised as a fuel stabilizer, good for up to two years. Top it off before you shut it down.

I park my bike with the same old dirty oil that was in the crankcase because I change it in the spring anyway... probably gonna do that with the car too.

I wouldn't concern myself with jack stands because 6 months isn't enough time to effect the suspension or put flat spots on the tires... 6 years of storage and I certainly would. I do however place the bike on the center stand for the winter, mostly so it takes up less space.

I remove the battery and take it into the house. -30 degrees is quite common in the Dakotas. Tires tent to leak a lot of air out over the winter too.

Wash, wax, polish, protect... cover it well to minimize dust. I drive the bike onto a sheet of plastic, wrap it up the sides and tape across it. Then I put a bike cover over the top of that. Plan is the same for the car, especially since mice have so many places to hide and wreck things. I have a HUGE piece of plastic sheet that is going to be parked on top of, it will kinda be the bottom half of a giant car condom. Overlap the plastic sheeting and tape across it. Place nice new car cover over the plastic and hope there were no mice already in the car !!

Overkill? Probably... It's just that there are a lot of mice around here...
Just_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I didnt think to put battery inside, it gets pretty cold here in chicago too, maybe not quite as bad as south dakota. i spent a lot of time in s dakota for work a few yrs ago.
wouldn't have thought to seafoam the gas tank...
most likely will change oil at start of spring also..
whats a good cover to get?
should i start it up from time to time throughout the winter?
still not sure if i will leave it in our garage or get a rental garage.
wifey would probably like to get her car back in to ours! haha
Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My battery was fine for the 6 months, and I'm In Michigan!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqfu View Post
should i start it up from time to time throughout the winter?
still not sure if i will leave it in our garage or get a rental garage.
There is no need to start it occasionally unless you are going to leave the battery in it, in which case you would run it now and then to keep the battery charged. I have to rent a storage unit to store my car and both motorcycles because the garage is full of furniture lol.

12'X32' costs $50/month or $500 a year HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Some things are dirt cheap out here in the middle of nowhere!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

50 is a good deal, least expensive I have found is 85
Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah pretty much all of the things everyone's mentioned are good pieces of advice.

Be sure to wash and polish all the trim before storing...this will keep it from drying out and cracking...and clean the engine bay, fenderwells, and underside of the rockers!

Filling the tank up is always a must, as well as some fuel stabilizer if you don't plan on starting it up over winter.

I try to start mine up every couple of weeks or month when I store, but it's not necessary.

Also check around your driver/passenger footwells and up under the dash for any slight openings or breaks near grommets...these are places mice could get thru and get into the interior.

DON'T place moth balls in or anwhere near your car, lol. That smell will be all over the car.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
DON'T place moth balls in or anwhere near your car, lol. That smell will be all over the car.
I bought a new 1994 Nissan EX pickup in July of '94. Just 2 weeks later I was assigned to Kunsan AB, south korea... In November I drove my truck from Texas to South Dakota to park it for a year......................

My dad took my new truck with just 4,200 miles on it and stored it in his buddies barn... He bought FOUR boxes of moth balls and spread them all over the floor and the seats, between the seats and the console, and scattered them under the truck on the dirt floor.

I have NO idea how long it took for the smell to finally go away because I traded it in in 1998 and it STILL smelled like moth balls.

I had no mice, they do indeed work for that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang