Installing a supercharged 3.8 from a thunderbird SC into my 99 mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #1

Region: Nevada
Installing a supercharged 3.8 from a thunderbird SC into my 99 mustang

I have recently acquired a supercharged 3.8 from a 95 thunderbird sc and would like some input on installing this motor into my mustang. I have the complete motor with the harness and the computer, Is this change over a pain or is it somewhat straight forward? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
skip318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You loss hp with that install. It's better to get a Windstar and couple of bolt on and you spent less money and time. Now it is possible but remember take your time
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Installing a supercharged 3.8 from a thunderbird SC into my 99 mustang

you basically need the entire 3.8L supercoupe motor to make it work. You will make more hp than the stock 3.8L you have of course, but not a CRAZY amount~ most see like 250hp or so~ nothing crazy.

Basically I wouldnt do it, look elsewhere. They make kits to install the M112 root supercharger from an 03/04 cobra onto the 3.8L engines~ but not sure about hood clearing
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
How much are the kits to install the m112? Do you know anywhere to get one?
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
How much are the kits to install the m112? Do you know anywhere to get one?
Mysteed.com has a kit for about 3k with everything you need to install it
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea you may just require a taller hood, the end result is not cooled though which is the down size... root blowers get HOT and heat kills some use meth injection to cool it down, about the only option you have other than N20... and you have to keep the boost lower. You should see 250-300rwhp on it WITH a good tune (key thing to have)
Old 09-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
you basically need the entire 3.8L supercoupe motor to make it work. You will make more hp than the stock 3.8L you have of course, but not a CRAZY amount~ most see like 250hp or so~ nothing crazy.

Basically I wouldnt do it, look elsewhere. They make kits to install the M112 root supercharger from an 03/04 cobra onto the 3.8L engines~ but not sure about hood clearing
i disagree with you on that Spec , those T-Birds were heavy but they ran strong , they would kill a 3.8 Mustang , HP numbers arent everything ,they ran mid to low 14's all day and they were easy to get into the low 13's ,so for a budget hot rod I think its a great idea
Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
i disagree with you on that Spec , those T-Birds were heavy but they ran strong , they would kill a 3.8 Mustang , HP numbers arent everything ,they ran mid to low 14's all day and they were easy to get into the low 13's ,so for a budget hot rod I think its a great idea
the issue is you cant just slap the blower on the mustang 3.8L the engines are much more different than that. For the time/effort needed you would probably come out better going another route~ thats all I was talking about.

But the M112 setup has no real cooling solution, at least the M90 supercoupe setup has air to air intercooler design~ its just you need more than the intake part to get it all to work... but it has been done many times, all that work for only 250hp seems kind of hard to take though vs building the motor to get the same basic results (low boost levels for non forged internals of course)
Old 09-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

i thought he as talking about the whole engine ??
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

oh the title mess me up, if the engine is complete that might make some good power as it has forged internals etc
Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
yea you may just require a taller hood, the end result is not cooled though which is the down size... root blowers get HOT and heat kills some use meth injection to cool it down, about the only option you have other than N20... and you have to keep the boost lower. You should see 250-300rwhp on it WITH a good tune (key thing to have)
Some sites like super six motorsports also offer products to reinforce the engine so you can run higher boost. But meth injection is good no matter what, just make sure you keep the tank filled. Asfor the hood ive always been a fan of the terminator hood but idk if it clears that on a 6
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #12

Region: Nevada

Thanks for everyones input. I am not sure witch way to go now, I think I'm going to do some more research on different ways to get the horsepower I want from my mustang. I dont want to go to radical because this is my daily driver and I'm on a budget.
skip318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

i found this on another forum..

Quote:
"M90 was originally produced in 1989. All were underrated. The 89-93 model setups have very poor flowing characteristics: blower's inlet, the inlet plenum, rotors, etc.

The 94-95 SC engines were upgraded. The plenum was improved, the rotors were Teflon coated for reduced temperature, and the throttle body was enlarged to 70mm from ~60mm to match the plenum. The 89 style received 30lb injectors and the 94-95 is 36lb with a better fuel pump. The setup was so more efficient that Ford put on a larger blower pulley to achieve the same boost levels that the previous models had received, and got a little more power. The 89-93 models were rated at 210hp/315tq, and the 94-95 were 230hp/330tq.

Most people end up finding the less efficient style for the swap. If you decide to run the stock 30lb supercoupe injectors, you will be limited to about 265whp and 350tq – not too bad.

The stock boost is between 10-12 PSI, which depends on how well the engine flows. Of course, you have a large array of pulleys to choose from to put on your setup. An OEM 94-95 style on an 89-93 blower will reduce the boost 1-2 PSI. Conversely, an 89-93 OEM pully on a 94-95 blower will raise stock PSI by 1-2. Overdrive pulleys are available for each kind. One just has to use common sense; the 10% 89-93 style overdrive pulley will obviously be the smallest (the one in my engine picture). More overdrive is not necessarily better, as the already weak intercooler and crappy flowing parts get heat-soaked quickly. I wouldn’t even bother with a 10% on a near stock engine due to the immense heat increase that would negate much of the gains over the 5%.

More info: (mainly single port stuff, but important information as well)

Assuming you are just doing the swap onto your stock short block, you MUST upgrade the injectors and fuel pump. You MUST have dual exhaust at a minimal, or you greatly increase the chance of head gasket failure. The 94-95 V6 mustangs are a little easier to swap because the 96-98 changed a few things. The 94-95, however, should definitely consider using the supercoupe heads. The valvesprings are stronger, it flows a little better, but most importantly, it has improved cooling passages which greatly decreased head gasket failure (95 stangs had a recall). The supercoupes had head gasket problems as well, but this can be attributed to their stock exhaust system. It was terribly designed with a 90 degree bend and poor flowing parts... which netted an end result of 15psi of backpressure. Thankfully, a simple GT take off system will due for our cars, and we basically have shorty headers straight from the factory (as opposed to the SC's log style manifolds). Other than fuel and exhaust, we need a tune to go along with it after everything is assembled. These are the only NECESSARY factors; cam, rear end, high stall, clutch, etc will simply compliment the setup. Obviously, with an engine of this power, stock parts are more likely to break. If you have the ability to upgrade things while you’re in there, do it. Preventative maintenance is a good thing.

Split ports:

The stock fuel system is a bit better, but I honestly wouldn’t risk keeping this stock either. You must switch back to the return style fuel system anyway (255lph walbro is good). Of course, a tune is required. As we all know, split port mustangs have different manifolds and heads that offer much better flow over OEM single ports. In order to get the M90 to work on your car, you MUST go back to single port. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, since there are several companies that offer single port heads that compete with PORTED split port heads. Big valve single-port heads would be a great improvement in flow over your stock split port engine’s. The only other setback of the single port design was the maximum throttle body size (60mm) that was limited by the upper intake manifold. Thankfully, the blower replaces this manifold and the inlet plenum connects to the throttle body. Even the stock, poorly flowing, 89-93 design plenum can be ported to accommodate a 70mm TB. The rotating assembly is comparable if not better than the supercoupe’s, so the splitport short block is actually preferred.

Misc info:

Found a radiator hose that fits perfectly:
Upper Radiator hose from a 1992 Buick Roadmaster (if it matters its an estate wagon)

Changing the throttle cable is NOT NECESSARY! Slight "ghetto rigging" required, but it's definitely possible. I'll have pictures of it sometime soon.

Potential modifications:

One of the best parts about this engine is the platform! It is extremely easy to make power with these motors. Intakes, throttle bodies, inlet plenum/blower packages, raised supercharger tops (stock ones suck, the one featured in my picture is upgraded), two stock intercoolers welded together (aka dual IC), front mount IC’s, 600ish CFM intercooler fan (cheap 10hp on stock IC), etc etc etc.

Freebie modifications are great. While you are swapping this whole thing over, it’s very easy to gasket match and port the lower intake manifold (and heads if you want). The plenum can be ported significantly to support a 70mm throttle body. The blower “V” can be expanded a bit to increase flow. Also, the blower’s silencer ports can be welded up, which increases the noise and power.

The best idea is to buy the whole motor or even the car. One of the benefits of having the entire motor, besides having all the parts on hand, is learning how everything is put together as you take it apart.

Summary: It’s a LOT of work. It takes a LOT of time. It will cost about $1000-1500 if you are running a completely stock mustang with single pipe exhaust. In the end, a relatively stock SC setup can put you into low 14’s with near 100mph traps. A particular individual on this site that is a bit tired of being asked questions did this swap. It’s a single port auto, stock mustang short block, minor V porting on blower- not hard, stock GT exhaust, 2.73 open differential with BEYOND crappy tires. His best time was a 14.3x at 98.x

Those are 99-04 GT times, and he has enormous potential for improvement."
jk_aktion is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang