Is This Exhaust Setup Ok? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Is This Exhaust Setup Ok?

Looking to get my 3.8 to sound better and I am looking to get the Pypes X Pipe v6 (midpipe) to the Flowmaster American Thunders w/ 50 series (cat-back). Basically I am looking go get a mid pipe with a gt catback, I know gts have a 2.5 inch midpipe and the 3.8 has a 2.25 inch midpipe. My main concern is have the mid pipe fit correctly so I don't run into any problems.
stangiusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangiusmaximus
Looking to get my 3.8 to sound better and I am looking to get the Pypes X Pipe v6 (midpipe) to the Flowmaster American Thunders w/ 50 series (cat-back). Basically I am looking go get a mid pipe with a gt catback, I know gts have a 2.5 inch midpipe and the 3.8 has a 2.25 inch midpipe. My main concern is have the mid pipe fit correctly so I don't run into any problems.
Im sure you can find an adapter pretty easily

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
So many exhaust threads haha I'm thinking I may run Mac longtube headers, catted h pipe and flowmaster American thunder exhaust. To make up for any torque loss I was gonna install a windstar intake with a spacer on it as well
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsakenProto
So many exhaust threads haha I'm thinking I may run Mac longtube headers, catted h pipe and flowmaster American thunder exhaust. To make up for any torque loss I was gonna install a windstar intake with a spacer on it as well
Yea I know right but all of them are somewhat different and I couldnt find the answer I was looking for. Lol

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind

Im sure you can find an adapter pretty easily
Yea that's the thing the Pypes mid pipe is an a adapter, I just want to know what other people have done
Old 09-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Pardon me for being off on the wrong subject with this whole adapter thing. but for those who do decide to do an adapter setup who are reading this I cannot stress how invaluable a muffler shop is. Those guys 90 percent of the time are amazing at what they do and usually will save you so much time and hassle installing an exhaust system that it's worth the couple bucks they charge you... Any real shop will have a pipe expander and if you ask really nicely I even had one guy put a really gradual curve on an old car of mine to avoid an abrupt pipe dia change. Personally I go to a place called triple A muffler her in garland for you Dallas guys. They are amazing!!!
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Is This Exhaust Setup Ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
Pardon me for being off on the wrong subject with this whole adapter thing. but for those who do decide to do an adapter setup who are reading this I cannot stress how invaluable a muffler shop is. Those guys 90 percent of the time are amazing at what they do and usually will save you so much time and hassle installing an exhaust system that it's worth the couple bucks they charge you... Any real shop will have a pipe expander and if you ask really nicely I even had one guy put a really gradual curve on an old car of mine to avoid an abrupt pipe dia change. Personally I go to a place called triple A muffler her in garland for you Dallas guys. They are amazing!!!
Yea that is exactly of what I was thinking, only reason I started this thread was to see what people have done.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #7

Region: Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangiusmaximus View Post
Alright man, here's what I did.
Step 1-Longtube Headers
You have a few options. Pacesetter longtube headers from summit racing, or MAC, depending on what you want. MAC is gonna give you better looking headers, as they have the chrome or ceramic option but i am not sure of the quality as i used the pacesetter. We finished off the headers with high temperature paint. The longtube header is EXTREMELY necessary as opposed to a shorty header. you will get a much deeper and throatier sound from a longtube simply because the laws of physics. air passing through a longer tube produces a deeper noise that air passing through a shorter tube.

Step 2-X-Pipe Legal or not, they are the best way to go in my opinion. if not, an H-pipe will do.

Step-3 Depending on how you do the x pipe or h pipe you can either have your system custom run at your local muffler shop, or if you buy a converter kit, simply run a GT catback system, but mine is catless

I get plenty of compliments on my exhaust and many people ask me if shes got a 5.0 in her while shes still in low RPMs, and the higher pitch us v6's have can never be deepened to a v8 sound. we just arent pushing enough cylinders. hope this helped!
94 Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ok sorry to keep bugging everyone with these exhaust questions buy I have been all through YouTube and can't find what I want. I am going to be keeping my cats on and just chopping into the system after all the emissions crap. I have a buddy if mine that did the same thing to his 98 v6 with the same flowmaster 40s but no H pipe just straight, and they were super loud! Until....... He finished the system and put pipe after the mufflers and up and over the axle. I heard it last night and I don't want mine to sound like that. It was way quiet and sounded terrible. So I'm thinking what I'm gonna do is just like he had except with the h pipe and newer motor of course and after the mufflers I'll go with 2.5 inch diameter pipe to the rear 3-3.5 inch tips. Any thoughts?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have what you want. I have from the cats back, no x or h pipe with glass pack mufflers to 3 or 3.5 inch tips. And the piping i believe is 2.5 inches.
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not familiar with glass pack mufflers... Aren't those the round straight through style?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That's exactly what they are.
Red 1998 Mustang V6 5-Speed. Flowmaster True Dual Glasspack Exhaust, AM Cold Air Intake, Black Chrome Cobra 17x9 fronts, 17x10.5 rears, short throw shifter, rear bumper inserts, billet grill top and bottom with pony insert, chrome shorty antenna, chrome shift knob, halo headlights-HID's 8000k, smoked fog lights-HID's 8000k, custom radio and speakers, Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Old 10-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Lame!!!!!!! I got it done this morning and it sounds terrible.... It's ok I guess but I'm definitely not happy! I'm going to have to save up and get some glass packs put on it. It's got a decent sound to it when you first start it up but after that it sounds like crap and it's not nearly loud enough! Stupid smog regulations!
Old 10-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

What mufflers did you end up getting? Cause my glasspacks are real loud. I always get questions asking if mines a GT and stuff.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Flowmaster 40s.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Oh alright. Yea I'd just save up and get the glass packs. Did you look up the sound on YouTube?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I looked it up and they all sounded awesome but I'm thinking they all cut out their cats and had long tube headers. I wish I could cut mine off but I can't due to emissions...
Old 10-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm probably gonna be buying long tubes pretty soon. Not sure on what I'll do with the cats yet.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have been told that you can take the back two cats off and just remounting your O2 sensors and you should still pass emissions
Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That would be something to try.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Keep in mind a long tube install is a pita and if u plan on having a shop do it it's gonna be 800-1200
DSGstang513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I know what you mean man.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #22

It'll work perfectly fine I put the pypes x mids n they fit good. I would also recommend keeping two of the cats due to the fact that the car will be ridiculous loud, eat gas and won't perform as well.
V6_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #23

Region: California
I'm not liking my exhaust goin under my wheel well I'm thinkin of bring my exhaust through the side of the car molding it around the body before the rear tires
rammie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

I suggest you keep the cats on or replace them, but have a set on there. If you do not plan on getting a blower, then run 2.25" pipe. The cats and the 2.25" pipe will give you proper back pressure and insure better performance, not loss of low end torque.
So far, I have my original 4 cats on, divorced dual pipes, and mufflers.
Mustang V6 Flowmaster 10 Series Single Chamber - YouTube
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust