What could be the draw back to this????? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What could be the draw back to this?????

Yo whats up my names rich and this is my first time making a post ever and i just had a question about an experiment i did yesterday, i dnt know if i'm the first didnt really look much into it so i figured i'd ask. I have an 04 v6 with a ssm p/p lower, windstar upper port matched to bbk 65mm throttle and made a longer intake tube so the filter sat in the fender and heat wrapt it,msd wires and some fancy spark plugs my friend got for me have no idea what they are though and some headers off a 97 from the junkyard.The ? at hand is about my exhaust. Before yesterday it consisted of the headers,custom x,and a set of fm 40's and noooooo cat's and it was too loud and in my opinion it sound awful. I went too see quote cats at a local shop and they wanted five hundred bucks for two sooo i was like no way i havent spent even close to that much on anything for my car. So i thought about it and came up with a solution i think..... I wanted to restrict the flow a little bit to put the back pressure back in check so i bought two glass packs for 90 bucks cut the pipe from the bottom of x to the tip of the 40's and welded those bad boys in said cut section. End result........ awesome tone at any range smoother idle and just plain better driving.But what if any could be a possible draw back to this any thought would be greatly appreciated and if it hasn't been discussed you have something new to talk about thanks everyone.
l2plagears is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: What could be the draw back to this?????

you can probably buy some cats or something and cut/stick them in line on the pipe yourself. Some bolt up so no welding will be needed.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I was gonna get cat's but they were gonna be more than i wanted to pay so i already welded the glass packs in as a sub for cats as far as adding a little restriction.It seemed to solve my loudness issue with no real drawback but i no things aren't always what they seem and i never heard of anyone using two more mufflers as a sub for cats and wanted to know if there is any draw back to what I've done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Just to avoid any confusion i'm not trying to mimic the operation of cats i just used the glass pack for added restriction to make it hush up a little bit
Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I've done it before...but to answer your question, there are no issues with that.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Damn thought i had something semi original oh well thanks for the in put figured better to ask and see what people had to say
Old 09-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2plagears
Damn thought i had something semi original oh well thanks for the in put figured better to ask and see what people had to say
Well, it is pretty original... I've never heard of something like that.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
That's pretty original never heard of anything like that. Pretty good if you ask me. You shouldn't have any issues though your simply adding back pressure just like the cats. There's no hidden issues.
BlackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone i figured they were somewhat the same shape and they fit really good inline so i took a shot in the dark and i'm am super happy with the result and with your guys advise feel comfortable saying if anyone owns a catless v6 and aren't happy with the tone weld a set a glass packs on there and u just might fool some people thanks again guys

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Thanks everyone i figured they were somewhat the same shape and they fit really good inline so i took a shot in the dark and i'm am super happy with the result and with your guys advise feel comfortable saying if anyone owns a catless v6 and aren't happy with the tone weld a set a glass packs on there and u just might fool some people thanks again guys

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang