cam and r/r question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
cam and r/r question

Hello again this is only my second thread and am just curious about some thing.I have an 04 v6 w/ windstar kit w/ port matched 65 mm bbk T.B, ssm ported lower and msd wires my exhaust is catless w/ custom x,two glass packs two fm 40's and 97 v6 headers.I don't have money for ported heads but i do have the money for some roller rockers a new cam and a my cars first tune.Can i use the r/r's and new cam while using my stock head's?Will this wake up my current set up any or do anything for the car for that matter?What else would need replacing springs, retainers etc.All suggestions/tips will be greatly considerd thanks.
l2plagears is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: cam and r/r question

im sure the cam and rr will definatley wake it up a bit, even without head porting. replacing the valve springs is definatley a good idea, the retainers are pretty cheap so u could do those as well. drop in sum new valve seals since u r gonna b n there anyway (another cheap item). you could do sum light porting yourself since you got the heads off. there are a few diy head porting articles floating around on the net. you could do the exhaust ports since you are a novice.

good luck

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks,and i'll for sure check those write up's because my knowledge of porting is slim to none and if it doesn't seem to difficult i'll try to tackle those ex. ports. Any ideas of what cam i should use and should i be using better springs or an o.e type replacement or is there some sort of head rebuild kit i should check out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2plagears View Post
Thanks,and i'll for sure check those write up's because my knowledge of porting is slim to none and if it doesn't seem to difficult i'll try to tackle those ex. ports. Any ideas of what cam i should use and should i be using better springs or an o.e type replacement or is there some sort of head rebuild kit i should check out?
cam choice really is up to u, how u plan on driving the car and any future mods. keep this n mind "bigger isnt always better". be honest with yourself on how you plan on using the car, so u dont have an over built, over budget, un-streetable car.

decide on a horse power level u wanna b at, and build around that, so u dont have to buy the same part twice. check out other ppl's set up, that way u got less guesse work and ur not tryn to re-invent the wheel. it's cheaper that way, trust me.

u will need aftermarket valve springs. they have max lift ratings so u dont encounter valve float.

example.... my cam max lift is .529 and my springs are rated up to .560 lift. they have enough tension to last a while and maybe a small cam upgrade, but not too mention that would be hard on the rest of the valve train.

u could maybe even message sum ppl on youtube and maybe copy one of their set ups. there are sum ppl in there wit 6cyls that got sum pretty big lopey cams and make good power. i even seen a couple 550-600hp, not sure how streetable they are though, but thats if u are wantn to do a power adder.

all bs aside though, save up for a blower or turbo. you'll spend the same, make the same power, and only half the labor and aggravation of building one from the ground up.

not alot of ppl here have big power 6cyl, but trust me, they are out there. wish i could b more help

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 10-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No very helpful thanks yo. I'm just looking for a reliable,safe and fun to drive 285hp/290tq is the goal i have in mind want f/i but nothing serious 5 to 8 psi would do me good i don't want a race car i was hoping to get this with the plenum rebuild the exhaust, the mentioned valve train work, sum head porting(mainly ex. port thanks to ur suggestion) an awesome tune and a mild blower set up and with that sum fuel system work. Is that something that is doable with that particular set up or am i shooting to high and btw already have 8.8 and a set of 4.10's in garage waiting for the machine shop and a ford racing drive shaft to go with it suspension mainly stock but in the works i only say this to avoid someone having to write up the whole supporting mods thing
thanks again.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
Titus Wadicus
Regular

just get the blower first, then go from there. everyone who gets the other crap first in the end all wish they had got the blower first.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Really well if thats the case i have 1300 bucks and my friend has a totaled svt focus.Should i pull anything other then the pump and what might be a good blower for my number range any suggestions help because i wanna have this done in about two weeks.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
Titus Wadicus
Regular

the only thing that might swap from that focus to a stang would b the fuel pump...maybe.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so what at the bare minimum will i need to make this work safely i know injectors,pump,maf but what else. I do have a preference to a whine rather than a b.o.v sound nothing against it just like the whine better but i also dnt wanna spend 900 bucks on a piece of metal to bolt on a m-112 but i will if it's the best route to go
Old 10-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2plagears
Ok so what at the bare minimum will i need to make this work safely i know injectors,pump,maf but what else. I do have a preference to a whine rather than a b.o.v sound nothing against it just like the whine better but i also dnt wanna spend 900 bucks on a piece of metal to bolt on a m-112 but i will if it's the best route to go
Well,

To run an M-112 you best have forged internals...without them you'll blow the motor. I have Tom Morana's "B" grind cam and 1.73:1 roller rockers...they are great. Now I'm also running his stage 3+ heads, Steeda crank under drive pulley and true dual exaust oh and the Windstar upper intake and dyno'd at 255 rwhp...so not quite where you want to be but close...a 4.2L stroker would probably get you there....
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

And if i used a vortech or a pro charger at low boost would the internal work still be needed?As far as the stroker goes i can do alot of things but instaling a rotating ***. seems little too much for me sooo what kind of labor would i be looking at if you have any idea's?Also if i were to just go the r/r and cam route would i be able to reuse them if a new set of heads were in my future plans both of you are being really helpful i'm at the point now where i need some pushes in the right direction to start the big boy work.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2plagears
And if i used a vortech or a pro charger at low boost would the internal work still be needed?As far as the stroker goes i can do alot of things but instaling a rotating ***. seems little too much for me sooo what kind of labor would i be looking at if you have any idea's?Also if i were to just go the r/r and cam route would i be able to reuse them if a new set of heads were in my future plans both of you are being really helpful i'm at the point now where i need some pushes in the right direction to start the big boy work.
Well...I saw a newer V6 with a supercharger eat the engine which was stock...and I think it was either a Kenny Bell or a Roushcharger...so I'd go forged just to be safe. As for your question on reusing the cam and rr when you upgrade the heads...definitely on the cam..and I would think so on the rr's...look at either Tom Morana or Super Six Motorsports...I went with Tom and love my setup...
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I agree with getting your power adder first but...if you do go the cam route some people use ls6 springs with gt retainers for a mild cam build on a budget.
Stubzmekenzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang