V6 Single Exhaust conversion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
V6 Single Exhaust conversion

I have a 2000 V6 mustang, single exhaust. Coming up in the near future, i'll be getting some cash, and want to look into converting to a dual. I need Catts to pass emissions i think, but i have no clue about what kind of exhaust will work for my car. Was looking at AM.com, and theres Y pipes, X pipes, H pipes, and more letter pipes than i care to remember. So can someone school me on what to look for when buying a dual exhaust? Is there i difference between X pipes and Y pipes? Any help is appreciated.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #2

Region: Florida
I'm in the same boat, 01 V6 wanted true duals. I've heard that an H pipe will sound good with two flowmasters for mufflers. I've also read that because of our even fire engine that we could run two seperate pipes from each header to the rear of the car so its all on preference. Personally, I'm looking into getting an H pipe setup with super 44 flowmasters in it. I just want a more aggresive sound to it.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: V6 Single Exhaust conversion

well, you can always have your existing cat-pipe cut at the end before it starts to connect to a y-pipe. and add in an x-pipe after the cats and use any catback.
jk_aktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
idk what the difference is or if it would fit, but i have a brand new O/R h pipe i would sell you if youre interested. its made for 05-10 stangs though, so idk if it would work. i dont have much knowledge about exhaust...
soccerfreak2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Im thinking of just buying the one for 7 hundred off AM under V6 Dual conversions. It seems like alot of money though. Does anybody know how it'd go about being installed? Like, i dont understand how there can be a Y pipe. And an X pipe. A Y comes to a single point right? How would an X pipe fit?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

this one right? there is no y-pipe, this catted x-pipe replaces your y-pipe from manifolds to catback.

Pypes V6 True Dual Exhaust Kit (Catted 98-04 Mustang V6) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_aktion View Post
well, you can always have your existing cat-pipe cut at the end before it starts to connect to a y-pipe. and add in an x-pipe after the cats and use any catback.
I believe that JK is talking about something similar to this here PACESETTER 94-04 Mustang V6 Cat-Back Adapter kit | eBay

I almost bought one of those but chose to get 99-04 MUSTANG V6 EXHAUST X-PIPE W/ CATS instead
Just_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John View Post
I believe that JK is talking about something similar to this here PACESETTER 94-04 Mustang V6 Cat-Back Adapter kit | eBay
^ +1

yea, that's what i was talking about. since he wants to keep the original cats then have dual exhaust, that's the best option. then just buy a cat-back.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So with that, i only need 1 cat? I dont understand how it would hook up.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

your cats are before the crossover, the crossover will start after the cats.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_aktion
your cats are before the crossover, the crossover will start after the cats.
This might sound like a very stupid question, but hear me out lol. Seeing as i only have a single exaust, i would need to buy a second cat for the second pipe, correct?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6

This might sound like a very stupid question, but hear me out lol. Seeing as i only have a single exaust, i would need to buy a second cat for the second pipe, correct?
No...these cars have 2 cats with 4 O2 sensors. So if you are going to replace them, do it with free flow cats...I have true duals with no x or h pipe...and to be honest I don't think either are required although I'm told they balance the back pressure.
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

this will help you understand on making dual exhaust for your v6 and keeping your cats.

"how to" transfer from v6 single exhaust to gt dual exhaust while keeping the stock v6 cats.

Installing dual exhaust system on a 99+ Mustang V6

note: you can use any cat-back for 99-04 mustang gt after installing/fabricating mid pipe shown in the link, they use the stock gt exhaust for an example.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So if i were to buy that H pipe adapter thing, they just hook that up, then the catback exhaust hooks up to the H?
Sorry if these questions seem completely obvious haha, just trying to get a grasp on the work that needs to be done, so i know how much an install might cost me.
** and also by H pipe, i mean that "pacesetter Catback adapter."
Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00
Quote:
So if i were to buy that H pipe adapter thing, they just hook that up, then the catback exhaust hooks up to the H?
Sorry if these questions seem completely obvious haha, just trying to get a grasp on the work that needs to be done, so i know how much an install might cost me.
i got Fed on mine paid 1600 for cats and hardware
Old 10-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00STANG00

i got Fed on mine paid 1600 for cats and hardware
Dear god. When you say cats andhardware, you mean you bought new cats?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00
ya
Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This should help:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/conver...l-exhaust.html

Old 10-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I'm sure someone will comment on this but I actually bought an O/R H pipe for my 2000 and ran dual mufflers. I have no cats so I bought the AM MIL eliminators to trick the down stream O2 sensors into reading what they should if there were cats. Since our cars are OBD II computers they dont stick a reader up the pipe, they just plug up to your computer. So if you want to save 200 or so that's what I suggest. An H gives you a little more drone while the X gives you more aggressive sound, don't do a Y bc it's no good in back pressure. Any questions just ask.
Cody156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:29 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods View Post
Both of those items are discontinued from American Muscle, however they are currently made by PaceSetter and are still available on ebay for about the same price.

COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody156 View Post
Ok I'm sure someone will comment on this but I actually bought an O/R H pipe for my 2000 and ran dual mufflers. I have no cats so I bought the AM MIL eliminators to trick the down stream O2 sensors into reading what they should if there were cats. Since our cars are OBD II computers they dont stick a reader up the pipe, they just plug up to your computer. So if you want to save 200 or so that's what I suggest. An H gives you a little more drone while the X gives you more aggressive sound, don't do a Y bc it's no good in back pressure. Any questions just ask.
When I called Bama for a new tune, they told me that my high-flow cats basically did nothing. I was told to select "off road midpipe" when I filled out the online questionnaire and that they would "write out" my downstream 02 sensors. When I installed my X-pipe I simply clipped the wires off of the 2nd set of O2 sensors and used them to plug the second set of holes. With the new tune I don't get a check engine light. So the MIL eliminators are for those that don't have a tuner?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I didnt notice that the items were discontinued, but that's not really why I posted the link.

The article is a good source of information for someone wanting dual exhaust for their v6. The OP seemed really confused about exhaust systems in general, and that should answer any question someone would have.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #22
geo

Region: Virginia
Im sorry but what are catbacks?? I know nothing about exhaust
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

If you read the last link I posted, and still dont understand, then go here:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/unders...t-systems.html
Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

guess they sold out
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

When I called Bama for a new tune, they told me that my high-flow cats basically did nothing. I was told to select "off road midpipe" when I filled out the online questionnaire and that they would "write out" my downstream 02 sensors. When I installed my X-pipe I simply clipped the wires off of the 2nd set of O2 sensors and used them to plug the second set of holes. With the new tune I don't get a check engine light. So the MIL eliminators are for those that don't have a tuner?[/QUOTE]

Yea pretty much they are for guys with no tuners. When did u get that tune done
Old 10-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea pretty much they are for guys with no tuners. When did u get that tune done
I ordered the tune about 2 weeks ago, just installed my shorty headers, X-pipe and catback last Friday night.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John

I ordered the tune about 2 weeks ago, just installed my shorty headers, X-pipe and catback last Friday night.
If I take my stang up to a shop will they tune it without me having a tuner
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I have a 2000 V6 mustang, single exhaust. Coming up in the near future, i'll be getting some cash, and want to look into converting to a dual. I need Catts to pass emissions i think, but i have no clue about what kind of exhaust will work for my car. Was looking at AM.com, and theres Y pipes, X pipes, H pipes, and more letter pipes than i care to remember. So can someone school me on what to look for when buying a dual exhaust? Is there i difference between X pipes and Y pipes? Any help is appreciated.
So the letters represent what the exhaust looks like. A y pipe comes off both exhaust manifolds and meets up into one pipe thus making a single exhaust. An x and h pipe are dual exhaust for more flow and the piping for the exhaust looks like the letters. On our cars we have 4 cats so I don't know why you would need more of them unless someone cut them off because they ruin the sound of our cars. If I went for a dual exhaust I would go for true duals catback which means you cut the pipe after the cats off and weld a x or h pipe in. But thats only if you have the cash because that can become very expensive. But if you want sounds and just a bolt on, then the dual exhaust conversion ones on americanmuscle would work just fine.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If I take my stang up to a shop will they tune it without me having a tuner
I believe that in order for a shop to tune your car it requires a dyno run in which case they will fine-tune your car to its optimum capabilities. This method of tuning FAR exceeds anything you can get by email from BAMA or anyone else.

There are pros and cons either way. Tuner allows for multiple settings i.e. Street, Performance and Race but they are generic tunes designed to be "one size fits most". With a Dyno tune (and no tuner) to your computer it is a single setting that you are stuck with.

This is my understanding. Someone please correct me if I am inaccurate.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John

I believe that in order for a shop to tune your car it requires a dyno run in which case they will fine-tune your car to its optimum capabilities. This method of tuning FAR exceeds anything you can get by email from BAMA or anyone else.

There are pros and cons either way. Tuner allows for multiple settings i.e. Street, Performance and Race but they are generic tunes designed to be "one size fits most". With a Dyno tune (and no tuner) to your computer it is a single setting that you are stuck with.

This is my understanding. Someone please correct me if I am inaccurate.
Without a tuner there is no way to put the written tune into your car's ECU
Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

Without a tuner there is no way to put the written tune into your car's ECU
A shop can change the tune on a car with a computer. You just don't have a way to change it whenever you feel like it.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Is it possable to get different tunes from a dyno put on a sct programer so you can change it whenever?
98projectpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
I was researching the bama tunes a while back.....and if you get a tune from them you can send in data logs and they can update the tune for you. At least that's what it said on their site.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98projectpony
Is it possable to get different tunes from a dyno put on a sct programer so you can change it whenever?
Short answer is yes. It will cost more but it will be tuned to your car in real time. Data logging helps get canned tunes close but they won't be able to get as close as a dyno tune. Also a shop can make sure the tune is working properly with your mods onsite which is a major plus as well.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

A shop can change the tune on a car with a computer. You just don't have a way to change it whenever you feel like it.
No..they write the tune on the computer..download it to the tuner..which loads it to your car..trust me..that's how mine was done

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust