I want throttle response! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I want throttle response!

Went for a drive today and noticed something I highly dislike about fords in general... My dads 99 f150 does the same thing. When you push on the gas there is about a 2 second delay before the car starts going. My dodge pickup has 5x the throttle response of the mustang... I'm not ok with that! Sure you could hold the trans in 1st or 2nd depending on speed and keep your rpms way up but I'm not trying to race all the time... Just looking for a fun sporty non sluggish ride. What do I need to do? Tune? "winstar intake"? Whatever that is... Don't really wanna go gears it's not a race car... What works for these cars?
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
If your looking for throttle response and shift points (if automatic) then go with a chip or custom hand held tuner. I would go with the tuner myself because its easier to update the tunes. But if your looking for more hp as well I would look into manifold, cai, throttle body, underdrive pulley ect. Just depends on what your looking for me personally I like more hp lol
98projectpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The gas pedal mod will give you way better throttle response and it's about $3 in materials.
Stubzmekenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What is the pedal mod?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you look at your gas pedal and lift it up (towards the steering wheel) you will notice about a inch and a half of slack in the throttle cable. The gas pedal mod is just a spacer that takes up that slack therefore, making the throttle more responsive.[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Were can you get the spacer
Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I used a piece of plastic tubing from the hardware store and hose clamps to secure it in place.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds kinda getto lol no offence
Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

^lol..., just type in " gas pedal mod mustang " into google and youll see how common it is. Ghetto maybe but also cheap and effective.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely sounds ghetto rigged but definitely worth a shot. Maybe I'll make up a really clean setup and put up some plans and materials. Should that for the most part fix the 2 second delay?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: I want throttle response!

I would ignore the "petal mod" as the petal will eventually stretch right back out where it was. Get a friend to help, push the gas petal to the floor and get a friend to see if he can move the throttle anymore at the throttle body, if he cant your fine.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Good call... That definitely makes sense. I was wondering if it was really going to help. I want this thing to be snappy like my truck... I can be rolling at like 5 mph and just 1/2 the gas pedal really quick and the front end of the truck literally will raise about 3-4 inches and jump forward. And that's not just bad suspension. Makes it fun when someone cuts you off in traffic and they end up with a dodge jumping at them I have literally had people cut me off then get back out of the way. Lol
Old 10-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so I did a little research and found a turn key winstar kit for about 400 bucks. Anyone have problems with them! Coments? Pictures?!?!

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Ok so I did a little research and found a turn key winstar kit for about 400 bucks. Anyone have problems with them! Coments? Pictures?!?!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Stomp on the go pedal !!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

Quote:
I have a windstar kit that I bought from VAP. The only issue I have had with mine is that the high-temp silicone hose that is included in the kit burned up after only a few weeks. I replaced it with some plumbing fittings I had in the garage... a pair of 45 degree elbows and a 5 inch length of 1/2 inch copper pipe took care of that. I sealed it with fireplace sealant. That stuff cured solid as a rock and is good for up to 2000 degrees.

If you look at the picture in "My Garage" you can see a green hose... that got brittle and crumbled.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Did you feel a good bit of difference? Make the car more fun? And most importantly dies your car jump at the touch of the gas pedal?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless
Went for a drive today and noticed something I highly dislike about fords in general... My dads 99 f150 does the same thing. When you push on the gas there is about a 2 second delay before the car starts going. My dodge pickup has 5x the throttle response of the mustang... I'm not ok with that! Sure you could hold the trans in 1st or 2nd depending on speed and keep your rpms way up but I'm not trying to race all the time... Just looking for a fun sporty non sluggish ride. What do I need to do? Tune? "winstar intake"? Whatever that is... Don't really wanna go gears it's not a race car... What works for these cars?
I've noticed the same exact thing! It drives me nuts. I have a CAI on the way, and then I'm going to get myself a tuner- I found a Perf shop in town and I'm taking my car in to be dynoed and tuned probably the first week of Nov. You better believe the first thing I'm going to ask the tech is about this issue. I'd be happy to report back in a few weeks... I've wondered if I needed to clean the throttle body, but I had also asked them to do that at the dealership a couple months ago, which they said they did. I believe them because the response is a hundred times better after that was done. It's not a big problem- not really even much of a problem, but for the reasons you've already gone thru, I'd like it improved.
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

I did the gas pedal mod the other day, and if you plan on doing it, the hose clamps are near the plumbing section, and the nylon spacer are near where you have your key made. Assuming that lowes all around the country are basically set up the same inside. Driving after doing the mod was like having to relearn how to drive, but was well worth it in my opinion. Ive got a K&N CAI, VAP auto intake spacer, and run BAMA tunes on my car and i see almost no throttle lag at all. Im very pleased with the way it runs now, as well as with how hard it an pull in the lower RPMs thanks to the spacer
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Pedal mod and throttle body modifications have been done to extend the space between the bracket and the stop plate.
Someone on e-bay sells 56mm TB's with several mods done to improve performance if you are ready for one> Ported intakes, Windstar install ect...
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Wouldn't gears somehow make up for that lag? What I think he's looking for is pick up power. Dodge has performance gears that's just how they come. Just a thought...
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
Wouldn't gears somehow make up for that lag? What I think he's looking for is pick up power. Dodge has performance gears that's just how they come. Just a thought...
The weird part is that my dads 99 f150 does it too with the v8 and towing package. So it's not just that the motor is too small or that the gears are too high because my dads truck wouldn't be the same way. In theory....
Old 10-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
I would ignore the "petal mod" as the petal will eventually stretch right back out where it was. Get a friend to help, push the gas petal to the floor and get a friend to see if he can move the throttle anymore at the throttle body, if he cant your fine.
I did it... Will it harm the throttle cable and positioning?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

I did it... Will it harm the throttle cable and positioning?
I don't see how it can hurt as long as your throttle body isn't wide open and you keep pushing farther on the pedal and stretch the cable. How do you like is since the mod?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #24
Road Trip!

It's better.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless

The weird part is that my dads 99 f150 does it too with the v8 and towing package. So it's not just that the motor is too small or that the gears are too high because my dads truck wouldn't be the same way. In theory....
My Taurus does it as well. I think ford did it is as a liability issue, if your car got instant throttle response you might be more likely to hit someone from a light or something. There is 1-1/2in if slack in the cable meaning that when you press the pedal it needs to move that distance before the cable becomes tight and starts opening the TB.

Btw I've had 0 issues with the pedal mod for ~6months
Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I did it, I like it. Use a tiny bit of common sence and it's all good. No issues. Sometimes the linkage is modified too, as in this picture below-:
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #27
Road Trip!

My test mod worked but needed modification... I'm going to invent something to where this mod is easy... It's a pain in the ***...
Old 10-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Need to just make a kit with everything in it and pre cut.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Need*

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Man I keep messing up! " just need to".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang