Why? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Why?

So i was sitting in totem parking lot with a buddy and he put in the e-brake and put it in drive and told me to peel the tires, I didn't as there was lots of people and wasn't looking for show, so I took it out from the e-brake and left 5 mins later and all of a sudden I noticed something was wrong. It was as if my brakes were still on, I stopped at a gas station and we checked the brakes, the right back brake was scorching hot. I'm thinking my e-brake ceased. So we brought it home and the rotor was red, really hot! I pulled it in the garage jacked it up and I realized im leaking brake fluid. Do you think that the heat could have melted the cord? And why did that all happen?
Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: Why?

If you dont use your parking brake on a regular basis, the components get rusty and caked full of crap. So the first time you go to use them, they will jam. Your caliper seized up and you fried it, to put it bluntly.
shipwreck_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok but I had used it before, although I put on new rotors brake pads and calipers, and that was the first time I used it since in replaced my brakes. So I have to buy all new brake parts now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You have to use it regularly, they will build up stuff back there real easy. You can buy a rebuild kit for the rear calipers, but it might just be easier to replace the entire assembly, yes the pads and rotors too. You've cooked the friction material, it will degrade much faster.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Great. Well my dad took a look at it last night and he fixed it so it's not grabbing my brakes anymore, so it's now drivable, but it's leaking break fluid and he told me not to pull the e-brake. So im not sure if I pull the e-brake it will happen again, so how can I clean up that area or get it so I can pull the e-brake if I wanted to.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Non Residue Brake Kleen, comes in a spray can, take it apart, clean them off, lubricate the equalizer and cables. If the brake line is leaking, you are more than likely going to have to replace the line, the flexible hose. In all honesty, it doesnt matter if your Dad released the brakes, every time you use the brakes, it activates the rear brakes a little bit at a time too. So they are going to grab again. Its not all that hard to fix, just get a hanes book or go to ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information and get an online repair manual. It will give you all the specs and steps necessary for a proper repair job.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang