'80 Turbo 2.8L vs '80 V6 2.8L - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #1

Region: Alabama
Lightbulb '80 Turbo 2.8L vs '80 V6 2.8L

First of all hello everyone my name is Alan and I'm from Argentina, Buenos Aires, so please be patient with my rough english.

I'm between buying a 1980 Mustang Turbo 2.3 L and a 1980 Mustang V6 2.8 L, but the owner of the firstone have made some modifications and I really don't know if it's a great opportunity.
It's not big stuff but I have the doubt so I came here to ask the experts (you haha).
The thing that "worries" me is that the owner adds this things: blow off valve (known as BOV) and the pop off valve.

I read about the BOV and, according to what I understood, some cars have their own BOV without the noise (the "pssss"), and some people said that if you add a BOV you must disable the original one.

Anyway, the thing that worries me if it's the BOV (without or not the originalone) removes power from the engine.

I didn't find any info about the pop-off so, if you know something please let me know.

-

Another thing, if you must choose between this two cars, what would you choose? The both are original without modifications, the onlyone that have been modificated is the turbo, as I mention.

I attach you some pictures, the orangeone is the V6 and the turbo is the blackone.

Thanks for everything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mustangturbo.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	34351

Click image for larger version

Name:	mustangv6.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	34352
alan.arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I don't know much about turbo, so I can't help you there, but I would take the orange one because I don't trust what other people say they have put in their cars

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

What are the prices?
V6Mustang40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Mustang40th
I don't know much about turbo, so I can't help you there, but I would take the orange one because I don't trust what other people say they have put in their cars

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

What are the prices?
Thanks!
The prices: turbo $6500, V6 $4800. (US dollars)
Remember that here in Argentina the prices are higher than there in United States, for example in United States you can buy a car for 800 dollars but here we can't buy anything for 800 pesos argentinos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely the v6, especially if all the other one has is turbo. Those engines aren't built for turbo.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.arg
First of all hello everyone my name is Alan and I'm from Argentina, Buenos Aires, so please be patient with my rough english.

I'm between buying a 1980 Mustang Turbo 2.3 L and a 1980 Mustang V6 2.8 L, but the owner of the firstone have made some modifications and I really don't know if it's a great opportunity.
It's not big stuff but I have the doubt so I came here to ask the experts (you haha).
The thing that "worries" me is that the owner adds this things: blow off valve (known as BOV) and the pop off valve.

I read about the BOV and, according to what I understood, some cars have their own BOV without the noise (the "pssss"), and some people said that if you add a BOV you must disable the original one.

Anyway, the thing that worries me if it's the BOV (without or not the originalone) removes power from the engine.

I didn't find any info about the pop-off so, if you know something please let me know.

-

Another thing, if you must choose between this two cars, what would you choose? The both are original without modifications, the onlyone that have been modificated is the turbo, as I mention.

I attach you some pictures, the orangeone is the V6 and the turbo is the blackone.

Thanks for everything.
Personally I would take the turbo car.
It will be more fun to drive and own, from the pics it looks to be in better shape. The money for both is a premium dollar for sure. The turbo car is more rare even here in the states. Just my opinion but I'd have a hard time parting with that kind of cash for a plain V6.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Definitely the v6, especially if all the other one has is turbo. Those engines aren't built for turbo.
Actually some GT's of that era were factory turbo cars. Plus from that same era you have the turbo coupe T-Bird which is the same motor.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Actually some GT's of that era were factory turbo cars. Plus from that same era you have the turbo coupe T-Bird which is the same motor.
I didn't know that, but I would still go for the black
Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

I didn't know that, but I would still go for the black
Lol the black one is the turbo car, which is great looking btw
Old 11-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: '80 Turbo 2.8L vs '80 V6 2.8L

2.3 turbo all the way! Hell yes! I have an 01 V6(so kinda partial to them) but the idea throwing a fat *** turbo to the b i t c h sounds just way too intriguing.

Saw an 800hp fox 2.3 turbo at mustang nationals in Bowling Green, Ky few years ago, has had my intrigue ever since.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

that 2.3 doesn't look like an '80 btw. that black one looks like a '90-'93. the orange one is definitely an '80 though.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for your opinions, I really like the turbo but it's more expensive and I don't know what else the owner modified because I don't know him and I don't trust him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinfield2004
2.3 turbo all the way! Hell yes! I have an 01 V6(so kinda partial to them) but the idea throwing a fat *** turbo to the b i t c h sounds just way too intriguing.

Saw an 800hp fox 2.3 turbo at mustang nationals in Bowling Green, Ky few years ago, has had my intrigue ever since.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

that 2.3 doesn't look like an '80 btw. that black one looks like a '90-'93. the orange one is definitely an '80 though.
Yeah I know, the black one looks much better and 'modern' but the owner said that it's an '80 model.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your opinions, I really like the turbo but it's more expensive and I don't know what else the owner modified because I don't know him and I don't trust him.

Yeah I know, the black one looks much better and 'modern' but the owner said that it's an '80 model.
I think the fronts can be swapped on 79-86 to 87-93. It looks as though the black car is in much better condition from the pics.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

I think the fronts can be swapped on 79-86 to 87-93. It looks as though the black car is in much better condition from the pics.
Sorry but I don't understand what you said about the fronts (my english it's a bit rough).
Definetely the black one is in much better condition, at least in the pictures it seems that, if you want you can see a few more pictures of the black car here ( http://auto.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-...portunidad-_JM ), theres a video also, at the top of the page you will see a small pictures gallery, the last one is a video that says "tribute to foxbody mustang 1979-1990" or something like that.

And here there are more pictures from the orange one: http://auto.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-...entendidos-_JM
Old 11-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Sorry but I don't understand what you said about the fronts (my english it's a bit rough).
Definetely the black one is in much better condition, at least in the pictures it seems that, if you want you can see a few more pictures of the black car here ( http://auto.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-...portunidad-_JM ), theres a video also, at the top of the page you will see a small pictures gallery, the last one is a video that says "tribute to foxbody mustang 1979-1990" or something like that.

And here there are more pictures from the orange one: http://auto.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-...entendidos-_JM
I'll check them out.
What I mean is you could take the front bumper, head lights, and hood off the black one and bolt it on the orange one with little modification, they are interchangeable. You can take an older fox and update it to look like a newer one.

Also before I dropped that kind of cash on either of those cars I would want to drive them, and see how they act. Especially the turbo car. Drive it hard, or have the guy drive it hard. If he won't or won't let you walk away. If the turbo car is up to standards you will enjoy owning it. Don't know too much about the V6 other then it won't be much for performance.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I can read it, but it looks to be a Capri turbo
That has been fitted with mustang parts. It looks to be done very well I might add. Looks like a carbon fiber hood too. Defiantly drive this car before you walk away from it.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Don't you need to modify the engine if it's not factory turbo?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 AM   #16

In response to last 3 replies:

The black car it's NOT a Mustang, I realized yesterday. At least that's what I suppose. It's a MERCURY CAPRI or something like that, modified to seem like a Mustang, am I right?

The difference between the two cars is because of that, the black car is not a Mustang, I realized that yesterday because all the Mustangs here (at least the most of them) are the same year and the same model, because between years '79 and '81 (more or less) the importation was opened in Argentina, and after those years it was closed again.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think mercury capris are even worth that much. The Capri from 1979-86 was a rebadged Ford Mustang made in the US.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
I don't think mercury capris are even worth that much. The Capri from 1979-86 was a rebadged Ford Mustang made in the US.
Nice capris are are worth as much as a stang, and they are far more rare.

The fact that is actually a Capri intrigues me even more. I used the drive line from an 83' Capri in my 87' mustang before I sold it..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang