'80 Turbo 2.8L vs '80 V6 2.8L - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 5
Lightbulb '80 Turbo 2.8L vs '80 V6 2.8L

First of all hello everyone my name is Alan and I'm from Argentina, Buenos Aires, so please be patient with my rough english.

I'm between buying a 1980 Mustang Turbo 2.3 L and a 1980 Mustang V6 2.8 L, but the owner of the firstone have made some modifications and I really don't know if it's a great opportunity.
It's not big stuff but I have the doubt so I came here to ask the experts (you haha).
The thing that "worries" me is that the owner adds this things: blow off valve (known as BOV) and the pop off valve.

I read about the BOV and, according to what I understood, some cars have their own BOV without the noise (the "pssss"), and some people said that if you add a BOV you must disable the original one.

Anyway, the thing that worries me if it's the BOV (without or not the originalone) removes power from the engine.

I didn't find any info about the pop-off so, if you know something please let me know.

-

Another thing, if you must choose between this two cars, what would you choose? The both are original without modifications, the onlyone that have been modificated is the turbo, as I mention.

I attach you some pictures, the orangeone is the V6 and the turbo is the blackone.

Thanks for everything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mustangturbo.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	34351

Click image for larger version

Name:	mustangv6.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	34352
alan.arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6Mustang40th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Utah
Posts: 87
I don't know much about turbo, so I can't help you there, but I would take the orange one because I don't trust what other people say they have put in their cars

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

What are the prices?
V6Mustang40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Mustang40th
I don't know much about turbo, so I can't help you there, but I would take the orange one because I don't trust what other people say they have put in their cars

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

What are the prices?
Thanks!
The prices: turbo $6500, V6 $4800. (US dollars)
Remember that here in Argentina the prices are higher than there in United States, for example in United States you can buy a car for 800 dollars but here we can't buy anything for 800 pesos argentinos.
alan.arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6Mustang40th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Utah
Posts: 87
Definitely the v6, especially if all the other one has is turbo. Those engines aren't built for turbo.
V6Mustang40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.arg
First of all hello everyone my name is Alan and I'm from Argentina, Buenos Aires, so please be patient with my rough english.

I'm between buying a 1980 Mustang Turbo 2.3 L and a 1980 Mustang V6 2.8 L, but the owner of the firstone have made some modifications and I really don't know if it's a great opportunity.
It's not big stuff but I have the doubt so I came here to ask the experts (you haha).
The thing that "worries" me is that the owner adds this things: blow off valve (known as BOV) and the pop off valve.

I read about the BOV and, according to what I understood, some cars have their own BOV without the noise (the "pssss"), and some people said that if you add a BOV you must disable the original one.

Anyway, the thing that worries me if it's the BOV (without or not the originalone) removes power from the engine.

I didn't find any info about the pop-off so, if you know something please let me know.

-

Another thing, if you must choose between this two cars, what would you choose? The both are original without modifications, the onlyone that have been modificated is the turbo, as I mention.

I attach you some pictures, the orangeone is the V6 and the turbo is the blackone.

Thanks for everything.
Personally I would take the turbo car.
It will be more fun to drive and own, from the pics it looks to be in better shape. The money for both is a premium dollar for sure. The turbo car is more rare even here in the states. Just my opinion but I'd have a hard time parting with that kind of cash for a plain V6.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Mustang40th
Definitely the v6, especially if all the other one has is turbo. Those engines aren't built for turbo.
Actually some GT's of that era were factory turbo cars. Plus from that same era you have the turbo coupe T-Bird which is the same motor.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6Mustang40th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Utah
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Actually some GT's of that era were factory turbo cars. Plus from that same era you have the turbo coupe T-Bird which is the same motor.
I didn't know that, but I would still go for the black
V6Mustang40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Mustang40th

I didn't know that, but I would still go for the black
Lol the black one is the turbo car, which is great looking btw
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
rinfield2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hopkinsville, Ky.
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 397
Re: '80 Turbo 2.8L vs '80 V6 2.8L

2.3 turbo all the way! Hell yes! I have an 01 V6(so kinda partial to them) but the idea throwing a fat *** turbo to the b i t c h sounds just way too intriguing.

Saw an 800hp fox 2.3 turbo at mustang nationals in Bowling Green, Ky few years ago, has had my intrigue ever since.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

that 2.3 doesn't look like an '80 btw. that black one looks like a '90-'93. the orange one is definitely an '80 though.
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 5
Thanks everyone for your opinions, I really like the turbo but it's more expensive and I don't know what else the owner modified because I don't know him and I don't trust him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinfield2004
2.3 turbo all the way! Hell yes! I have an 01 V6(so kinda partial to them) but the idea throwing a fat *** turbo to the b i t c h sounds just way too intriguing.

Saw an 800hp fox 2.3 turbo at mustang nationals in Bowling Green, Ky few years ago, has had my intrigue ever since.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

that 2.3 doesn't look like an '80 btw. that black one looks like a '90-'93. the orange one is definitely an '80 though.
Yeah I know, the black one looks much better and 'modern' but the owner said that it's an '80 model.
alan.arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.arg
Thanks everyone for your opinions, I really like the turbo but it's more expensive and I don't know what else the owner modified because I don't know him and I don't trust him.

Yeah I know, the black one looks much better and 'modern' but the owner said that it's an '80 model.
I think the fronts can be swapped on 79-86 to 87-93. It looks as though the black car is in much better condition from the pics.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #12
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

I think the fronts can be swapped on 79-86 to 87-93. It looks as though the black car is in much better condition from the pics.
Sorry but I don't understand what you said about the fronts (my english it's a bit rough).
Definetely the black one is in much better condition, at least in the pictures it seems that, if you want you can see a few more pictures of the black car here ( http://auto.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-...portunidad-_JM ), theres a video also, at the top of the page you will see a small pictures gallery, the last one is a video that says "tribute to foxbody mustang 1979-1990" or something like that.

And here there are more pictures from the orange one: http://auto.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-...entendidos-_JM
alan.arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.arg

Sorry but I don't understand what you said about the fronts (my english it's a bit rough).
Definetely the black one is in much better condition, at least in the pictures it seems that, if you want you can see a few more pictures of the black car here ( http://auto.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-...portunidad-_JM ), theres a video also, at the top of the page you will see a small pictures gallery, the last one is a video that says "tribute to foxbody mustang 1979-1990" or something like that.

And here there are more pictures from the orange one: http://auto.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-...entendidos-_JM
I'll check them out.
What I mean is you could take the front bumper, head lights, and hood off the black one and bolt it on the orange one with little modification, they are interchangeable. You can take an older fox and update it to look like a newer one.

Also before I dropped that kind of cash on either of those cars I would want to drive them, and see how they act. Especially the turbo car. Drive it hard, or have the guy drive it hard. If he won't or won't let you walk away. If the turbo car is up to standards you will enjoy owning it. Don't know too much about the V6 other then it won't be much for performance.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
I can read it, but it looks to be a Capri turbo
That has been fitted with mustang parts. It looks to be done very well I might add. Looks like a carbon fiber hood too. Defiantly drive this car before you walk away from it.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6Mustang40th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Utah
Posts: 87
Don't you need to modify the engine if it's not factory turbo?
V6Mustang40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 AM   #16
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 5
In response to last 3 replies:

The black car it's NOT a Mustang, I realized yesterday. At least that's what I suppose. It's a MERCURY CAPRI or something like that, modified to seem like a Mustang, am I right?

The difference between the two cars is because of that, the black car is not a Mustang, I realized that yesterday because all the Mustangs here (at least the most of them) are the same year and the same model, because between years '79 and '81 (more or less) the importation was opened in Argentina, and after those years it was closed again.
alan.arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
V6Mustang40th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Utah
Posts: 87
I don't think mercury capris are even worth that much. The Capri from 1979-86 was a rebadged Ford Mustang made in the US.
V6Mustang40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Mustang40th
I don't think mercury capris are even worth that much. The Capri from 1979-86 was a rebadged Ford Mustang made in the US.
Nice capris are are worth as much as a stang, and they are far more rare.

The fact that is actually a Capri intrigues me even more. I used the drive line from an 83' Capri in my 87' mustang before I sold it..
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What mods can get 350+hp? Johnstonb93 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 101 11-06-2017 12:25 PM
Choosing a V6 over a V8 Shidifen 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 57 12-02-2011 06:19 AM
looking for turbo for 2001 v6 mustang automatic shaloubin Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 10 11-24-2011 05:58 PM
Twin turbo our supercharged!!! 89 Foxloco 1979-1995 Mustang GT 27 10-04-2011 07:37 AM
2011 V6 versus 2012 GT 5.0 avengnd General Mustang Discussion 6 09-01-2011 05:49 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:54 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.