seafoam - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
seafoam

What does a bottle of seafoam do exactly when you let it go through pcv hose ??
98mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Re: seafoam

Doing it this way is referred to as "Fogging".

It literally cooks off all (or at least most of) the carbon deposits on the valve stems, valve faces, piston tops, combustion chambers... it cleans out the intake and exhaust ports to some degree... smoother air flow equals more complete combustion equals better economy and more power from a given unit of fuel. If you have a dirty engine, one good Fog will pay for itself in a few tanks of gas.

The only thing I have found that is better than Seafoam is a product called 44K made by BG. Better ingredients, way better results, BUT at around $30 a can... it just ain't worth the money.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-30-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it helped a lot feels like it accelerates faster and is a tad quicker... might just be me though also put a can in my gas tank read some where you can put in in the oil to does that help a lot or none
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just keep in mind that when you use seafoam there is a good chance that all of that carbon will clog up your cat conv. It also has a good chance at messing up or even destroying your o2 sensor. Just what I've heard from many people, some of them being ase mechanics
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

I believe its safe for O2 sensors and cats if you don't add too much too quickly. If unburned gas & treatment make it past the combustion chamber and gets to those parts it can deteriorate them slowly. Done correctly it's 100% safe and something needed to be done with our V6's regularly. I swear by it, it works incredibly, and I use it all the time. Every oil change I check the catch can, add one full can to gas tank, and fog the upper intake with a 1/3rd of a can. for a couple of days till the smoke clears. It's really good chit mon. Really Good!
FYI- STP now makes something similar using exact same size can, almost identical label and everything, pretty funny.
Try it, it's easy. Put a drinking stray or hose down into the can of Seafoam and pull the pcv valve out and hold it to the drinking straw a brief second or two. It pulls it right out. good luck, you'll love the improvement.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Can you send me like exact directions on how to do it from start to finish? I like having detailed directions when working on the pony
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

seafoam is awesome!!!! yes use it! I highly recommend the stuff! only drawback is that you may need to replace the spark plugs afterwords because as the nasty carbon funk is broken loose it will sometimes foul the plugs while burning off. Just replace the plugs after doing it anyways and no issues what so ever. their are many many videos on how to seafoam a mustang on youtube watch them and you cant go wrong.
bryanbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Alright ill watch them and I just replaced my plugs like 3 months ago so I guess ill wait to do it.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #9

Region: Kentucky

Did the SeaFoam about a month ago. Acceleration was quicker. May not be from the SeaFoam, but I had to replace the IAC a week later. Would not idle.
KY02MUSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I'm affraid of
Old 11-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Soo I need to replace my spark plugs then ??
Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

How To Seafoam Your Car & Clean Carbon Buildup | Tech Aids & Articles

Had this saved from when i did it a month ago. Sounds like hes doing it on an old 5.0, but same concept for ours. Dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but youll definetly wanna do an oil change about 100-200 miles after. my car ran like crap after i seafoamed it just cause everything in the engine was so dense from the loosened build up. after the oil change smooth as silk.
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Seems like doing the intake cost more money than its worth if you gotta change oil and spark plugs
Old 11-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustang11 View Post
Seems like doing the intake cost more money than its worth if you gotta change oil and spark plugs
This oil/sparkplug thing is somewhat necessary the FIRST time you fog your engine because of all the crap you bust loose. Trust me, big chunks are gonna be calling off...

HOWEVER, if after the initial treatment, you continue to clean your engine with seafoam on a regular basis (say every 12,000 miles) the successive treatments will keep it clean with a minimal amount of particulate matter being removed and circulated by the oil.

When done properly, Seafoam can extend the service life of an engine by a great deal!

I've been singing it's praises ever since I got my first beater in 1980. I use it on everything with an engine... boats, snowmobiles, snowblowers, weedeaters, you get the picture...
Old 11-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I just changed the oil about two weeks ago just hate to have to do it again
Old 11-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just changed the oil about two weeks ago just hate to have to do it again
Hey, you like road trips? of course, who doesnt like road trips. Heres what you do, pack up the car, go somewhere exotic, and 3000 miles away. BAM. time for a new oil change. problem solved. youre welcome.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ha good suggestion but I can't just pack up and do that
Old 11-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

youre right, theres no time to pack. just grab the essentials, toothbrush, underwear, and GO!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Lol let's get some of us together and go
Old 11-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That'd be great lol
Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John
Doing it this way is referred to as "Fogging".

It literally cooks off all (or at least most of) the carbon deposits on the valve stems, valve faces, piston tops, combustion chambers... it cleans out the intake and exhaust ports to some degree... smoother air flow equals more complete combustion equals better economy and more power from a given unit of fuel. If you have a dirty engine, one good Fog will pay for itself in a few tanks of gas.

The only thing I have found that is better than Seafoam is a product called 44K made by BG. Better ingredients, way better results, BUT at around $30 a can... it just ain't worth the money.

Just my 2 cents...
That 44 k is better I loved that stuff
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do not have to change the plugs
. Do not have to change the oil unless you pour a can inside with your oil. Its safe to do. Nothing special has to be done afterwards. I do it regularly. I check my plugs regularly, nothing is there, its part of normal combustion.
DIRECTIONS- Can be found on their website with videos explaining how to, step by step. Directions on the can also. People post thousands of their own videos Seafoaming on youtube every day.
-There are no worry's, trust me.

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout View Post
That 44 k is better I loved that stuff
Just a quick FYI- BG makes 44K for the gas tank additive. If you stop by your shop you will see that BG makes an induction fog cleaner too. You introduce it into the Mustang the same way as Seafoam. BG makes the highest quality additives on the market, I know & agree!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033

Do not have to change the plugs. Do not have to change the oil unless you pour a can inside with your oil. Its safe to do. Nothing special has to be done afterwards. I do it regularly. I check my plugs regularly, nothing is there, its part of normal combustion.
DIRECTIONS- Can be found on their website with videos explaining how to, step by step. Directions on the can also. People post thousands of their own videos Seafoaming on youtube every day.
-There are no worry's, trust me.

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Just a quick FYI- BG makes 44K for the gas tank additive. If you stop by your shop you will see that BG makes an induction fog cleaner too. You introduce it into the Mustang the same way as Seafoam. BG makes the highest quality additives on the market, I know & agree!
Black smoke comes out with 44k. White smoke with seafoam. So does this mean 44k gets rid of more carbon?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Black smoke comes out with 44k. White smoke with seafoam. So does this mean 44k gets rid of more carbon?
Not necessarily. The only way to see if more carbon came out with the 44k than the seafoam is to test the smoke. It could mean that the actual liquid burns black instead of white.
UMSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Re: seafoam (long read)

Quote:
LOL Yes, you should see the video they shot. I used to work at the Hazardous Materials and Waste Storage Facility at Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota. I sat through a presentation where the local distributor was trying to get his BG products into our maintenance facilities.

The distributor that gave this presentation had a broken leg and was in a cast. It was 25 degrees outside with freezing rain, so I hauled all of his equipment (movie screen, movie projector, boxes of documentation, and of course a case of samples....) in and out of the building for him. My reward was a flat of 12 cans of 44K. Too bad it has a few chemicals in it that are on the EPA's list of 17 "banned chemicals" that the US Gov't is no longer allowed to purchase. Xylene and Xylol are the 2 that I remember seeing in the MSDS

The information I have pre-dates their fogger. At the time of this video they were using the fuel tank additive for everything.

It was a mid 70's Jaguar with almost 200k miles on it. They used a 4mm flex boroscope to film the before and after. The valve stems were caked thick with carbon, the piston was covered so badly it looked like it had moss growing on it. The combustion chamber of the head was so thick you could see a ridge where the valve traveled.

Run car to operating temperature, introduce 44K into brake booster line until the engine died. Restart car after 20 minutes and run until exhaust was clear...

When the engine cooled and they stuck the boroscope down through the valve opening the carbon deposits were almost all gone. The transformation on the inside of that engine was stunning! Those 12 cans of 44K that I ended up with lasted me almost 10 years because I treated that stuff like GOLD!

After I ran out, and learned that it was over $20 a can (at that time Seafoam was only $3.25) I went back to the old Seafoam and just did everything twice LOL! Six time the price for double the performance wasn't cost effective.

Seafoam regularly sells for around $10.00 WHERE I LIVE, I see 44K on Ebay going for about $20 a can.... Now double the price for double the performance suddenly sounds appealing....

I may have to invest in some of this stuff again, however, I wonder if it still has all of the good (bad) chemicals in it?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It's a ****ing scam no offense to any one my brother dad an I own a mechanic shop sea foams is a scam we had a few cara come in to our shop after they sea-foamed there car lol Don't do it
2001mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

What it mess up ??
Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Every thing lol it's like dropping water in to your motor mis fires
Old 12-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

If the person didnt know what they were doing i can understand that. but ill swear up and down its an improvement since ive done it. maybe they ran it before doing an oil change to long after putting it in and caused some damage to the engine.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Iv used it before and nothing has ever messed up
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Lol maybe they did not knw what they wher doing lol I would not shove that thing any where near my motor
Old 12-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorF25 View Post
Can you send me like exact directions on how to do it from start to finish? I like having detailed directions when working on the pony
All I do is put a drinking straw into the can of Seafoam, pull out the pcv valve and put the straw up to the pcv valve and let it get sucked in little by little.
That's it! It will smoke a little, and then run substantially better. I buy 2 cans at a time. Pour one can in gas tank, use the other to induce into upper intake through pcv.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I do seafoam the way I saw in the 44K video I mentioned above... I use a funnel attached to the brake booster hose and drop a rubber ball into the funnel. Pour an entire can into the funnel... reach down and pull the rubber ball out and it sucks the entire contents into the engine at once, and it kills the engine! Reach in and shut off the ignition, waste 20-30 minutes, come back and start it up...

Slow trickle like Robb, or fast dump like I do it... doesn't really matter because either way the end result is the same.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

I got to try this. I wonder how much crud has built up in my baby since '05?
JBillone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBillone View Post
I got to try this. I wonder how much crud has built up in my baby since '05?
If you have been using a good quality name brand gasoline and changing your oil regularly there may not be much crap inside your engine.

The quality of filters, gas additives and oil has increased exponentially in the past 25 years and therefore, well maintained vehicles just don't get as dirty as they used to.

In the old days before they added detergent to motor oil you would occasionally see engines with 50-80,000 miles on them that were so dirty that you had to shove a screwdriver into the oil drain hole in order to bust through the layer of sediment, just so the oil would drain out... I saw a 1965 Cadillac with so much sediment in the oil pan that the crank shaft had gouged out groves in the muck as it rotated. (Ask your grandpa about it)!

Just remember, this is the reason that owners manuals don't recommend 2,000 mile oil change intervals anymore... 2,000 miles actually used to be necessary, now you can easily go 5,000 on conventional oil, 25,000 miles between oil changes if you use AMSOIL oil and filter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang