V8 engine swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
V8 engine swap

Hey guys I've been saving up some money and have enough for either a gt engine swap or a supercharger on my 6. What would be cheaper or what would you rather recommend? I have a 99 mustang and also have a friend with a 01 cobra and he's selling his engine for 1200. Is that a good deal if I were to swap it?
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Re: V8 engine swap

You need a hell of a lot more than just the motor..... If he's selling the entire car that would be the best bet, if not you'll be on a parts hunt for a while

Just supercharge yours and be done with it, how much money do you have built up?

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Close to 3grand n a buddy owes me 500 so like 3500
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you're willing to wait a little while my friend is selling his procharger kit sometime soon since he's getting a turbo, I believe he said something like 1900 but don't hold me to that, I'll hit him up and ask about it if you want....

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 12-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok because i seen on CL someone selling their eaton m90 supercharger for like 1000 and idk if that's good or not
Old 12-10-2011, 02:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Stay away from an M90..... You need the entire top end off a supercoupe motor to make t work..... The people who sell those things saying they fit on any 3.8 mustang without other modifications should be beat.. It's just a scam!

blower/new cam soon
Old 12-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

The m90 is for the single port engines anyways... I believe the 99 and up v6's are split port?

I too threw around the idea of a v8 swap... but I am doing the m90 intake swap w/ a 4.2 stroker... I think you too should just build on your current v6 engine and be different than everyone else... I think there is a kit for the eaton m112 for your engine? That would be a pretty sweet project! but don't forget you will need bigger injectors if you are running boost...

Tryin' to build that "super 6" is definitely a quest, but will be worth it in the end...
*72 C10, 350, Auto, (my Daily Driver)
bmabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok thanks good looking out there. Well the thing is I wouldn't know we're to start on rebuilding my engine. My best bet to have it redone would be at a shop. Howe much Would the shop charge me on rebuilding my engine and installing a supercharger or do you guys know any other way.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmabbott View Post
The m90 is for the single port engines anyways... I believe the 99 and up v6's are split port?

I too threw around the idea of a v8 swap... but I am doing the m90 intake swap w/ a 4.2 stroker... I think you too should just build on your current v6 engine and be different than everyone else... I think there is a kit for the eaton m112 for your engine? That would be a pretty sweet project! but don't forget you will need bigger injectors if you are running boost...

Tryin' to build that "super 6" is definitely a quest, but will be worth it in the end...
You know the supercoupe intake doesn't fit the mustang heads right? The coolant ports are way off, whereas some sets of the mustang heads have matching coolant ports but they are missing bolt hole(s?) you need the supercoupe heads to actually make it work, and honestly you would benifit from switching to a supercoupe block (if you find a whole motor) since they already have forged pistons....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Oh ok thanks good looking out there. Well the thing is I wouldn't know we're to start on rebuilding my engine. My best bet to have it redone would be at a shop. Howe much Would the shop charge me on rebuilding my engine and installing a supercharger or do you guys know any other way.
building a motor I would say if you bring them the parts it would be about 400-600 labor, installing a supercharger is decently easy it's all brackets and hose clamps lol

blower/new cam soon
Old 12-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Do they sell a full rebuilt kit for the 3.8 or do I have to buy them pieces by pieces. Or can the shop do everything like find all the parts and install em.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the shop can do it usually, the place I wears goin to go to only used their stuff, wouldn't even use customer supplied parts, but that's not a common practice among them

Best thing you can do is look up whatever's local to you and get some estimates, even if you don't plan on doing it soon it still can't hurt to know who's the better place for later, also ask around and check their reputations sometimes the cheapest is not the best option....

I've seen rebuild kits floating around on eBay before but otherwise not sure if you can, have to do a little searching and find out

blower/new cam soon
Old 12-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

[QUOTE=davidcseifert;1003549]You know the supercoupe intake doesn't fit the mustang heads right? The coolant ports are way off, whereas some sets of the mustang heads have matching coolant ports but they are missing bolt hole(s?) you need the supercoupe heads to actually make it work, and honestly you would benifit from switching to a supercoupe block (if you find a whole motor) since they already have forged pistons....

Personally... I have the heads, intakes, intercooler, and all neccessary parts for the swap.. I am just needing to buy the 4.2 stroker... The blocks are already the same on my 98 as the supercoupe's... but thanks man

For the 99 and up v6's... I have seen the m112 blower from the cobras put onto an adapted lower intake for it... pretty cool set up, but not sure where it came from.
*72 C10, 350, Auto, (my Daily Driver)
bmabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmabbott View Post
Personally... I have the heads, intakes, intercooler, and all neccessary parts for the swap.. I am just needing to buy the 4.2 stroker... The blocks are already the same on my 98 as the supercoupe's... but thanks man

For the 99 and up v6's... I have seen the m112 blower from the cobras put onto an adapted lower intake for it... pretty cool set up, but not sure where it came from.
-_- I said the block of the supercoupe since they came with forged pistons lol you doing forged internals with your striker kit or just keeping it basic? Jw

All 96-04 are the same block, the 94&95 ones are the jacked up ones

I didn't know you had the heads when you just said "intake swap" my bad....

I believe it was lil roush (another forum) that made it first mysteedperformance.com now sells his design since he stopped, I believe he just sold the patent to them, cheapest one around I've seen

blower/new cam soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang